I found one of these on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Marshall-Amplifier-JCM-2000-DSL-401-Dual-Super-Lead_W0QQitemZ150094478954QQihZ005QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What do you reckon it would go for, they are about $1600 Australian retail price but ive seen it for much less in online shops, so would it go for no more than $800 or $900?

I play classic rock like Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, ACDC, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, modern rock like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Audioslave, Rage against the Machine, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Velvet Revolver, Wolfmother and metal like Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden(no nu metal) and blues like Eric Clapton and SRV.

Also are the cleans good on this amp? The clean tone im looking for is John Frusciantes tone and I also like Jimi's cleans (think little wing)

Also can this amp do the more vintage tones aswell as the modern tones? How versatile is it?

Ive also seen JCM 800 and 900s on Ebay but i trust this amp and buyer more than those because this amp is only a few years old and the 800 and 900s look a bit worse for wear. Also which amp of the whole JCM series has the best cleans?
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
The DSL series is more modern sounding than the 800. You may want to look into a JCM800
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
Yeah I'd say $800-$900 is a fair price but I have seen them go for as low as $560 on ebay.

+1 on the JCM800 though, especially if you're buying 2nd hand. I paid $700 for mine and IMO would suite you perfectly considering the stuff you like.

Oh and as for looking worse for wear, that's called character! I got my TSL new and the 800 is a roughy but that's the one I enjoy playing the most.
bump
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
+1 for the 800. Not a fan of the dsl 2000, a bit too modern for my liking.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
The DSL is a good amp, but it is just a little to modern for my liking
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Joe Perry Boneyard (BKP Black Dogs)
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Supro Thunderbolt!
I also found a DSL 201 on Ebay heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250087691124&rd=1&rd=1

Is this a better for me than the 401, ie i will be able to get tube saturation at lower volume levels not to mention it will be cheaper but is 20 watts enough for small gigs?
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Quote by guitar_guru_28
I also found a DSL 201 on Ebay heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250087691124&rd=1&rd=1

Is this a better for me than the 401, ie i will be able to get tube saturation at lower volume levels not to mention it will be cheaper but is 20 watts enough for small gigs?

A 20W tube is still too loud to crank in a bedroom, the 5W Epi VJ is too loud cranked for bedroom use so if that's your thinking then no you wont get much tube saturation at bedroom type volumes. It should be loud enough for small gigs though, it'll be about as loud as a 50W SS amp.
^Well it will still sound better than the 40 watt 401 at bedroom levels wont it? And at gigs it will get tube overdrive easier
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
Man seriously the 5W Epi VJ is loud when cranked, the difference between the 20W and 40W at practice level really wont be a lot. Of course if you live on a big property or have good sound proofing then yeah but to get a 20W loud enough to bring it to life you're still gonna piss the neighbours off. The 20W wont saturate at half the volume of the 40W if that's what you were thinking. An amp that's half as loud as the 401 would have to be about 4W, or if you like, an amp that's twice as loud as the 201 would have to be 200W.

As far as price goes there wasn't a lot of difference between the 2 amps
http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/Marshall/DSL201-DSL401.html (from your other thread about this)
I know that's American dollars but as you can see they were pretty damn close.

All I'm saying is that if you're buying one for practice then the 20W is still too much (1W would be plenty for that), for small gigs it'd probably be perfect, the 40W would be a lot more versatile though allowing for larger venues and sound pretty much the same at low volume as the 20W.

And this is not supposed to be an I'm right your wrong, I do understand what you're saying I just get the impression you think that the 20W will be half as loud cause it's half the wattage when in fact it wont be that's all.
jcm900 instead of jcm800..the 900 has good cleans and can get down n dirty with a push of the footswitch...its more versatile than the 800 imo.
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
I tried a 900 once, it was the 100watt dual reverb model, and i was really unimpressed after all the hype about these, it sounded muddy and flat to me. But thats just my opinion.

TS, go and try ALL THREE out, an 800, 900 and 2000. Only then are you going to know which one suits YOU.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I think ill go with the 201 anyway, not coz its easier to crank i see know thats its still gunna be too loud, but wont it sound better anyway??? And i wont have to pay postage and it will be cheaper anyway, and im looking to get some fx pedals so with the money i save i have enough left to get one or two pedals
My Gear

Guitars:

Cort Acoustic

Amp:

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus