Page 4 of 190
Quote by Jinskee

oh my god that picture of all those amps is amazing, even though that flying V looks very stupid with a bigsby, but holy shit that picture is ace.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^Yup, exactly.

Get yourself a good versatile guitar, plug it in and turn up the distortion...then turn down your volume and put on some reverb and play some straight up blues.

Also, everyone, just a question. I've noticed that my Orange has been buzzing a tad bit when on the Dirty Mode and when I turn it up it just gets louder...any way to fix it? Should I return it and get a new one? Tubes perhaps? Or is it like every other amp?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
uhhh about orange amps ive been hearing really great stuff about them but dont know where i would be able to get one. can anyone tell me where i can buy one probably online. the stores i live near **** me over price-wise so i would only go to try them out there.
^Orange online dealer...check em' out!

And WOW at your guitars....but wth on your amp...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Jinskee, regarded on page 4 about the Orange Forum noobs not liking you, do not fear.

They are all bitches, I went too check out good EQ settings for my Crush 15R and got nothing but "You should just mess around with it."
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by Jinskee
^Yup, exactly.

Get yourself a good versatile guitar, plug it in and turn up the distortion...then turn down your volume and put on some reverb and play some straight up blues.

Also, everyone, just a question. I've noticed that my Orange has been buzzing a tad bit when on the Dirty Mode and when I turn it up it just gets louder...any way to fix it? Should I return it and get a new one? Tubes perhaps? Or is it like every other amp?

That happened when I was playing the tiny terror, it got noisy with a lot of gain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Has anyone tried the tiny terror? It's the cheapest of the orange amps and the only one I can afford at the moment. After all the orange praising I figured I should check them out. But 15w is very little and I need an amp for both band practise and gigs! On the orange site they say that it's loud enough for bands and small gigs, but is this true or just a marketing scheme?
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
It's 7w switchable to 15w Class A tube, the 15w setting apparently just gives you a bit more headroom though for cleans. And through a 2x12 cab it is definitely loud enough for gigs. Any venue that would need bigger should have a PA and will mic your cab anyway so it SHOULD be loud enough.

Go try it out and see for yourself though.

It's an awesome little amp though. But, depending what type you get, the cab could set you back a bit.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
It's 7w switchable to 15w Class A tube, the 15w setting apparently just gives you a bit more headroom though for cleans. And through a 2x12 cab it is definitely loud enough for gigs. Any venue that would need bigger should have a PA and will mic your cab anyway so it SHOULD be loud enough.

Go try it out and see for yourself though.

It's an awesome little amp though. But, depending what type you get, the cab could set you back a bit.

Which cabs should I be looking at?

I just realised I didn't include my styles. My band plays metal/hardcore, but I like versatility. I definitly want a great overdriven metal tone, bad horsie and as I lay dying would be the heaviest I need to go. Apart from that I would like a nice gainish lead tone. I want cleans too, but they don't have to be brilliant, just useable. Not having any cleans is what kept me from buying a 5150.

I've been looking at jcm 900's too, but I'm afraid they won't cut it for really heavy tones. And other amps that have the versatility I'm looking for (Mark IV, engl ritchie blackmore) are out of my price range

Is the tiny terror the end of my quest?
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
I say no. From what I heard of it it won't even get close to the metal sound you want. Hard rock is about it's limit. I was looking at it for the same thing and it's really not a high gain/metal amp.

EDIT: I don't know if it's even close to your price range but you should check out the ENGL Powerball. It has a killer metal/hardcore sound, really hi gain. And great rich warm cleans aswell.
Last edited by TheDev01dOne at Feb 28, 2007,
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I say no. From what I heard of it it won't even get close to the metal sound you want. Hard rock is about it's limit. I was looking at it for the same thing and it's really not a high gain/metal amp.

EDIT: I don't know if it's even close to your price range but you should check out the ENGL Powerball. It has a killer metal/hardcore sound, really hi gain. And great rich warm cleans aswell.

Bleh

Thanks for the quick reply though.

The powerball is even more expensive than the blackmore! So that's out of the question. I'll probably settle for a jcm 900 I guess. Unless I win the lottery (or find a weekend job )!
Oh I thought something with Ritchie Blackmores name plastered on it would be more expensive. Usually works that way with signiature gear..

My advice is to not settle. Just stick it out and keep saving/trying as many amps as possible until you find one you are satisified with and can afford. Once you have the amp you want that's one less thing you'll need to be thinking about upgrading, pretty much forever.

I reccomend, sine you're an Orange fan. Trying the twin channell AD30. I've played with it a bit and it seems like it can do them kinda metal tones, but you also get AMAZING cleans from it. I'm not sure if it will be the sound you're looking for but I think it can do As I Lay Dying kinda stuff. Maybe with a little coaxing from a OD pedal. It's quite a bit cheaper than all the 100W tube half stacks and very versatile. And definitely loud enough for ANY gigging situation.

I'm stuck in the same place as you kinda. It's Dual rectifier $6200, ENGL Powerball $4500 or AD30 $3050.. I'm going back up to Sydney to play them all again this Saturday. And HOPEFULLY a Thunderverb aswell. But with any amp I choose it's going to be a fair while to save up, so I figure I may aswell find that 'right amp' for me while I'm spending so much money and then I'll (90% sure) never have to upgrade again.

Oh and yeah I have no life. So quick (Hopefully helpful) replies is my forte haha
Keep in mind, try them all out first before you decide...

The rocker/rockerverb should have more gain, so I reccomend trying those out...yet, they're VERY expensive.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
yea so im looking at a rockerverb 50 combo and im gonna call this music store and see how much it is cause i live in new york so im trying to find this place that i live near and i finally got one that sells all kinds of Orange stuff not just Crush. and does the Orange website have sound clips?
and do u think i shud get just the head or the combo?
Last edited by K!!LsWiTcH at Feb 28, 2007,
fellow orange owner!

Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
yea so im looking at a rockerverb 50 combo and im gonna call this music store and see how much it is cause i live in new york so im trying to find this place that i live near and i finally got one that sells all kinds of Orange stuff not just Crush. and does the Orange website have sound clips?
and do u think i shud get just the head or the combo?

If you have the money, get the half stack...

I'm planning on getting myself a new cab once I get enough money for my combo...

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Really depends on which cab you want to get...

for the 1x12 + rockerverb 50 head = to about...2,500 USD?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Here it's £189+£564= £753 for that Orange halfstack, which is about $1400.

Haha, we Brits win again!
Don't be afraid to care"

Oh, I put the Rocker 30.......dunno where I got that from. The RV50 head is £999
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Oh, I put the Rocker 30.......dunno where I got that from. The RV50 head is £999

Got my hopes up...

Nice try, False_God.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by False_God
Got my hopes up...

Well you can get the Rocker 30 head and 1x12 cab for that much.... Still a great half stack.
Don't be afraid to care"

Listened to some Tiny Terror sound clips. LURVLY. I mean I won't get the insane 'We are Godzilla You are Japan' song distort but that's not really what I play.
As long as I can get some nice crunch I'm happy!
Can anyone recommend me some 12", 8ohm speakers for it for my 2x12 cab?

Cheers!

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by philjay
Listened to some Tiny Terror sound clips. LURVLY. I mean I won't get the insane 'We are Godzilla You are Japan' song distort but that's not really what I play.
As long as I can get some nice crunch I'm happy!
Can anyone recommend me some 12", 8ohm speakers for it for my 2x12 cab?

Cheers!

Haha that cracked me up.
^Looks at Phrase below Guitarted's name...*

z0mg, another orange recruit! :O

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
For everyone thats asked "should I get a combo or a halfstack" I say it all comes down to 1) practicality and 2) preference. I consider practicality more important so lets start with that. Let's all be honest with ourselves, most of us forum readers that play out are not playing giant packed venues or outdoor shows, we are playing mostly small-medium sized gigs at venues that have a PA. With that being the case, the combo is a much more practical choice because who really wants to lug around a precious Orange head AND cab? And might I remind you that Orange probably makes some of the heaviest cabs in the industry? The 4x12 is close to 100 lbs! IMO you can justify purchasing a head and 2x12 or 4x12 if you are playing large venues or outdoor shows without a PA (although that usually indicates you're playing in a friends backyard, which means you and you're band are probably too poor to afford an Orange halfstack =) ). However, if cabinet swapping is a big part of your sound, a head and a variety of 1x12 and 2x12 cabs may be just for you.

As far as preference goes, I honestly don't find the volume difference between a 4x12 halfstack and a 2x12 combo to be large enough to merit basing your entire decision off of, but people that prefer halfstacks over the more conveniant combos are people that like to "feel" their sound, or "push air" as they say. How important is pushing air to you? If very, think about a halfstack. If you want save your back from being blown via heavy schlepping at every show, think combo (although those combos are damn heavy in their own right!)
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by Jinskee
^Looks at Phrase below Guitarted's name...*

z0mg, another orange recruit! :O

That phrase has been there for a year... And a half...
^....z0mg a orange vet!! :O

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
rockxwl, stacks are very versatile. For one thing, get a good cab and you can change heads all the time, or change cabs to go with your head. I also think it's easier to haul a head + 2x12 cab than a 2x12 combo. But not by much.
Quote by Paul Gilbert
GET OUT OF MY YARD
I get to testplay a THUNDERVERB in about 8-9 hours!! Haha I'm off amp shopping again yay. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the ENGL powerball though unless the thunderverb is mind-blowingly amazing. Will be cool to play it though. Wish me luck.
Quote by rockxwl
The 4x12 is close to 100 lbs!

(although those combos are damn heavy in their own right!)
Most 2x12 tube combos I know of are at least close to, or heavier than, 100 lbs.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Haha that cracked me up.

Oh Rly?

Why?

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Most 2x12 tube combos I know of are at least close to, or heavier than, 100 lbs.

My Mesa cab is around 100lbs. ...but my JCM900 4102 (2x12) is heavier.

Thats why it irks me when people say "Get a combo because theyre easier to lug around"

WRONG.