I am going to buy a SS amp for my nephew and his friends. SS because I dont want to spend to much. And also I dont want them to F#$k up a tube amp.. I get the Mesa Road King they get SS..

All of that said would there be a noticeable difference between 120 watts and 150 watts. And would it be loud enough to hear over drums?

Thanx all
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
You're going to buy them a 120/150 watt solid state amp!?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah if your gonna spend that much on such high wattage amps SS is really a bad idea. They aren't too pleasing to the ears at high volumes and I think it's a better idea for them to get a tube amp at a better price. Just my two cents i'm no expert though so...

Edit: sorry forgot to answer your question I would say 120 watts is enough for drums. I haven't played a 120watt amo but if my 30 watt ad30vt can handle it 120 watts should work.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 22, 2007,
^I actually agree...but I lol'd at your statement about you getting the roadster and them getting an SS.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Last edited by Jinskee at Feb 22, 2007,
I know tube amps, so this may or may not apply. I don't know how different the 2 are.

There would be a noticeable difference between 120 and 150 watts. Mainly the level you get feedback, unless it's cranked. 120 is well enough to hear over drums.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
you should get a tube amp and make sure they know how to use and look after it, low volumes wont be as clear if your looking for home practice but as soon as you try and get anything at all from the volume the advantage of the tube amp will be clear, also 120 watts is more than enough to get over drums, ss or tube, 150 will just have more of everything, volume and feedback
Quote by yawn
Wikipedia articles are my inspiration.

www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Custom Strat
Roland Cube 30 (soon upgrading to Peavy Valveking 112)
Danelectro FAB Metal
Marshall VT-1

RIP Chris Benoit
120 watts for ANYTHING is overkill.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Thanx all. OK now dont laugh well you can laugh just dont flame. I am thinking on getting them either the Vampire by Behringer or the Line 6 spider2. Now jinskee I did some searches on this allready and I know how much you dislike the spider but it is for some kids who just want to mess around and I to will play around with it because it sucks to haul a rack around. So Behringer or spider
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
Have you considered the modelling amps? I believe Vox has a 120 watt valvatronix amp somewhere up there.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by halfstacked
Thanx all. OK now dont laugh well you can laugh just dont flame. I am thinking on getting them either the Vampire by Behringer or the Line 6 spider2. Now jinskee I did some searches on this allready and I know how much you dislike the spider but it is for some kids who just want to mess around and I to will play around with it because it sucks to haul a rack around. So Behringer or spider

*slowly backs off*

Well, in that case, a spider wouldn't be so bad if they're just playing around. Honestly, I don't hate spiders THAT much. I actually thought they were good the first time I heard em'. But now I realize they're really digitalized and all, etc etc.

But with all of the coolio effects and all...I guess it wouldn't be too bad...you could always get a cube though .

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Thanx again jinskee I know when you have SS sound and think it's pretty good and then you get to try an all tube amp. Like night and day.
My Gear
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab
^Well, not yet .

Haven't cranked the orange yet.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Guys remember this is for his nephew and his friends...tone isnt a major thing to some people. A tube amp, in this situation at least, would be the last thing he should be looking at.

Now, for the initial question of 120 vs. 150 watts - there would be no difference in volume (not to a persons ears anyways). But you increase your headroom...which is essential for a SS amp. Why? SS amps sound worse the louder they get. The more you push the amp, the worse it sounds. The the solution - more wattage. The more wattage, the more you can push it without the tone goin to hell on you. So, with SS amps, IMO at least, the more wattage...the better.
^+1

Quote by Jinskee

not necessarily. I play with a few guys once in a while, and it really depends on the amp and how many speakers you're using. I used a couple different 100W SS 1x12 combo amps, and neither were able to keep up with a loud metal drummer using a double bass. Granted, he isn't a professional drummer, but still. Also, like Andy said, you want the most headroom you can get with SS. A clipping SS amp sounds like ass. The JC-120 is a perfect example of 120W SS being used effectively.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
What is it with everyone always bagging SS amps. True, tube amps sound better, but not much better, and a very good SS amp will sound as good as a cheap tube amp. There are many good SS amps out there, like the Peavey XXL, Carvin SX amps (i own one, it sounds great), and many more. SS amps don't sound bad, unless theyre some cheap piece of garbage like the Marshall MG or Line 6 Spider amps. True, everyone would love a nice tube amp, but theyre expensive and very high maintenence, and really arent necessary unless youre in a band playing gigs.

I know there will be many people that will disagree, but oh well. I'd much rather have a great SS amp over a cheap tube amp.
vox valvetronix. my band member has a 30 watt and its totally loud enough. hell even the mg15 we have is loud enough.

to be fair the valvetronix has some pretty ace stuff. This would be good enough http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/vox-ad-100vt/67819 i think.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Quote by Jinskee

Even large arena PA's?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by Jinskee

So when a band get's on stage in front of 40.000 fans, it's overkill to have a 150W amp?
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
So when a band get's on stage in front of 40.000 fans, it's overkill to have a 150W amp?

That's what mic-ing and a PA system is for.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Have you considered the modelling amps? I believe Vox has a 120 watt valvatronix amp somewhere up there.

Yeah, but that one goes for more than the AC30CC!

I was thinking the AD100VT, though, which is more reasonably priced.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Depends how hard the drummer plays, really. Ive gone over drums with my 15 watt practice amp, but with other players I had to use my 50 watt SS amp. Anything over 50 will probably do the job. Just buy them a 30 watt tube amp at a second hand store, I believe you lose tone with SS amps once you "crank" it unless you have a nice EQ setup.
Quote by zeppelinpage4

+1

Also look at the Randall Century, very nice SS half stack.
Dickless.
It's OVER KILL!!!1111!!!!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
eh just get a line 6 spider amp?
Its great for starters, a million effects. Once he gets good he is going to hate it though haha.
IM planning to mod my dual recto to 700 watts.

jk. but honeslty, clipping a SS is a State of Shit. Thats wat SS stands for.
Quote by Jinskee
It's OVER KILL!!!1111!!!!

no, it's not, it depends on the application. If you want to avoid clipping, you want the most headroom you can afford.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids