What sorta stuff would i need to learn to sorta know how to make a metal sounding song, my friend was saying something about 7ths? I just want to know what to search for on this site, so i can start making my songs

heres some bands i like that id want to make songs up along those lines

elysia
www.myspace.com/elysia

catherine
www.myspace.com/catherine
www.myspace.com/wearemonsterrs
let it flow man.

if the song you're writing should sound metal it will. if it shouldn't it won't.

i.e

you shouldn't force yourself to write in a paticular genre.

that's why there's hardly any 'breakthrough' acts around today
Or you could just analyse the song structure of your favourite metal artists, and use similar chord progressions and scales to come up with something that sounds a little different. It works.
Discouraged:
How do i find he chord progessions, and scales? im really interested in waht you said, i mean..i wouldnt call the song my own if i did it but i mean it would be fun to get a song and tweek it ya know?

and glowskulls i know what your saying to, but in order for me to do that id rather set up metal as a basis first and then branch out

but totaly agree with what you just said,

and is your name glow skulls from the voodooglowskulls? j/w there great ahha
Learning the song first would be a good idea. If you have PowerTab or GuitarPro, you can use the tabs on this site to find out which chords are used. It should have the key signature shown too. If its your first time writing a metal song, then try just sticking to the notes that are played in that song. Then if you're feeling a little adventurous, or you want to bring in something a little different, experiment with adding other notes in. Obviously this is the part where theory would help. Knowing which notes fit with which scale and which chord is invaluable knowledge. But the best way to learn is by trial and error. Thats what I find anyway. Its different for everyone.
thanks man.
so if you were to say, for me to look at some theory stuff here on UG

what would be goo for me to look at first?
Quote by brandenetc
and is your name glow skulls from the voodooglowskulls? j/w there great ahha

holy shit dude. you're like the second ever person i've talked to who's ever heard of them. you have fine taste.

and yeah, i should of been way more informative, sorry man. i just found out we're out of ham.
^ had we spoken previously that would've made 3 people then i've heard of them, they're old school, i used to listen to'em back in the day!
Quote by z4twenny
^ had we spoken previously that would've made 3 people then i've heard of them, they're old school, i used to listen to'em back in the day!

you sir, are equally awesome.
:P as for a metal sounding song.... it really depends on the metal style you're going for, metal from all sorts of different bands contain elements of classical, jazz, blues, funk and all sorts of stuff. black metal is typically very classical in nature (i make this statement based on the statement under your name) a band like Pantera is actually very bluesy in nature.
very true. Dime used to use a lot of blues in his work.
i stand by my motto, though. if a song only sounds good with distortion, it is a typical metal song.

write some acoustic stuff, fool around with other instruments. get a thorough knowledge of music and it's theories, and you, my friend, will work magic in any genre.
A relaxed singer is a singer in control.

Quote by whocares09
"HOT DAMN LITTLE JIMMIES TOUCHIN HIS CACK N BALLS!! YEEHAH!"

OMFG!!! HAHAHAHA!

www.myspace.com/johnny_1990
^ i write excellent metal stuff that sounds good acoustically so i would have to disagree with you there. i think imo that if it only sounds good with distortion then its a crap song.
^x2 That's fine advice, but it doesn't help here. He wants to play metal, let him play metal.

Metal will typically use minor scales. Whether you use the natural minor, the harmonic minor, the melodic minor, etc. is up to you. Techniques you'll want to work on will include speed, palm muting, and control over your right hand in general. Guys like James Hetfield and Kerry King and such have machines for their right hands. It's all about control.

Try picking out the notes of the E natural minor scale, and play around with those power chords. Use some palm muting and interest timings.

If you don't know what a "pedal tone" or "pedal point" is, I'll explain that here. A pedal tone is a recurring note that the riff or lick or whatever keeps coming back to. An example would be this:

---------------------------
---4---5----7-9-10---------
-0-2-0-3--0--------0-0-0-0-
 .   .    .        . . . .

. = palm mute

This is a very cheap, basic metal riff in E minor. Note how it makes extensive use of that low E note. This is an example of a "pedal tone." Bands like Metallica, Slayer, and tons of others have pedal tones all over their riffs. This is a good technique that adds a lot of "chunk" to your riffs.

All of this has been a very, very basic overview of heavy metal guitar playing. It's in no way a complete "how-to" of making crushing riffs, but it can help get the ball rolling.

DO:
Use this as advice, and give you some ideas.

DON'T:
Treat it like law. Metal is a very big genre, and using these few ideas over and over again is just going to make you sound like everyone else.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The diminished scale is your friend.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
actually thats not entirely accurate of a pedal tone..... might i expand, it is a tone that is returned to, i think the above representation would just be more accurate of chugging on a low E (which is used in metal too)

e--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D----------9-----------9-----------9-----------9-------------9-----------9------------9-------------9-----
A-7-9-10----7-9-10----7-9-10----7-9-10---------9-10-------9-10--------9-10--------9-10---------
E-----------------------------------------------------8-----------8-----------10----------10----------------

i think this would be a better minor scale example of pedal tones, it start off with a lick in E, repeats the lick with the root modulating down to C, then up to D, then at repeat starts back over in E. try it out (play it slowly if you must) this is a good hand warmup too.