im just wondering, y does alot of peole think that the line 6 spiders suck? i have the 75 watt spider III and i think its great, good for jamming practicing and other stuff. And it sounds pretty good to, so y do alot of people have a negative attitude towards the amp?
I bought one a few weeks ago and I think they're great, I wouldn't say they sound lifeless at all.
I would actually say that the spider is better than the Roland Cube at some points... Especially heavy distortion
Quote by MAKETHEMSUFFER.
y do alot of people have a negative attitude towards the amp?

Tube snobs mostly.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
I agree that it sounds very digital, IMO it sucks all of the tone out of your guitar.
I think you can get much better of an amp in the price range.
The truth is, it's a matter of taste, and if YOU think it suits what ever style you're going for, then why not. Personally I agree with alreadygone, and I don't like it, but that's just me!
Quote by Burpin'Worm
You know what gets my goat? A shepherd. Urgh.

Quote by meh!
Pfft, everyone gets your goat, your goat is a goat-slut. She/he/it is like the village uni-cycle..all of the clowns have had a ride..and you live in CLOWN VILLAGE.
Apparently, i read somewhere that you need a really good guitar for the Spider to sound any good, if you don't apparently it sounds quite bad. I have a Spider II 210 with a strat and yeah... it doesn't sound very good especially when i give it distortion it just messes up completely. So perhaps that's why people rate the Spiders low
Quote by ste89
Apparently, i read somewhere that you need a really good guitar for the Spider to sound any good, if you don't apparently it sounds quite bad. I have a Spider II 210 with a strat and yeah... it doesn't sound very good especially when i give it distortion it just messes up completely. So perhaps that's why people rate the Spiders low

Yeah, wrong. If that was the case, it wouldn't sound just as shitty as it did through an ESP F-50 when I plugged my Schecter C-7 Hellraiser into it, or my Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Quote by emil_sej
I would actually say that the spider is better than the Roland Cube at some points... Especially heavy distortion

What HAVE you been snorting mate?
Hmm weird. I personally don't like the sound of the distortion side of it but some people are hearing something i'm not out of it
Quote by ste89
Apparently, i read somewhere that you need a really good guitar for the Spider to sound any good, ...

It's a bottom-of-the-line starter amp, but only sounds good of you have a high end pro guitar plugged into it. That's a bit contradictory, isn't it? What noob (the only people who play Spiders and like them) plays a $1000+ guitar unless he somehow lucked into one?

Seriously, I'll say what I always do about these amps. For bedroom practice, they're as good as any other small practice amp. They've got a lot of tones and a bunch of (substandard) effects to give a noob a lot of tools to play and practice with.

But when it comes to actual serious use in a band situation, they're crap. Turn the volume up past 3 or 4 and the power amp starts clipping, making it soudn thin and brittle. If you're idea of good sound in a band situation is this thin, buzzy, grindy tone, then the Spider series are the amp to choose.

I've tried the Spider III against a Spider II and can confirm without a doubt that it sounds a lot better and a lot less digital than its predecessor. Line 6 have definately taken a cue from their Flextone series and make the modelling better. At low levels, the amp sounds less digital and more natural. However, as soon as you turn up the volume a bit, the crappy power amp and speaker show their true colors.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i play C-1 hellraiser FR through it and it sounds fine, well the distortion sounds great through it IMO and the high gain sh!t. but spider + EMG actives = worst clean tone imaginable.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Crunchmeister
It's a bottom-of-the-line starter amp, but only sounds good of you have a high end pro guitar plugged into it. That's a bit contradictory, isn't it? What noob (the only people who play Spiders and like them) plays a $1000+ guitar unless he somehow lucked into one?

Seriously, I'll say what I always do about these amps. For bedroom practice, they're as good as any other small practice amp. They've got a lot of tones and a bunch of (substandard) effects to give a noob a lot of tools to play and practice with.

But when it comes to actual serious use in a band situation, they're crap. Turn the volume up past 3 or 4 and the power amp starts clipping, making it soudn thin and brittle. If you're idea of good sound in a band situation is this thin, buzzy, grindy tone, then the Spider series are the amp to choose.

I've tried the Spider III against a Spider II and can confirm without a doubt that it sounds a lot better and a lot less digital than its predecessor. Line 6 have definately taken a cue from their Flextone series and make the modelling better. At low levels, the amp sounds less digital and more natural. However, as soon as you turn up the volume a bit, the crappy power amp and speaker show their true colors.

I would probably agree with saying they would be useless in a band situation and having a Spider II i know that you're right about the volume and stuff. But these amps are designed for going on stages to do concerts and all sorts so really they're not doing what they're supposed to be doing are they? Fortunatly when i bought mine i got a 42% off on it so i didn't pay the full lot and anyway, any amp is going to be better then my last one so it's not that i'm disappointed because i'm still just learning at the moment but it's something i'm thinking that will do for now. I think there's no wonder there's a lot of mixed feelings about these amps
Tube snobs mostly.

There's no such thing as a tube snob, that's just a term bandied around by people that don't know what they're on about. I prefer tube amps myself because I like the warmth and dynamics, if I was into metal though I'd seriously consider a decent SS amp like a Randall, and if I was a jazzer then I think solid state is the only way to go, particularly if i was playing a hollowbody and I wanted the tone to come through unadulterated.

You can argue a case for the Spider as a practice amp for beginners, but it's still not ideal - especially the Spider 3 with all it's presets. The amps an instrument that you have to learn to use, just like the guitar. Trouble is a lot of kids these days want everything instantly and the push-button gratification of the Spider panders to that. The low wattage models are passable for new players who have just graduated from Guitar Hero and want to muck around with effects, but they're not much more than Fisher Price toys and the tones do not stand up at higher volumes, and are downright awful at gigging volumes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The reason why myself and alot of other people don't like them is just because they sound shallow and lifeless. They sound ok at low volumes but once you get them to band practise levels or so, things start to go awry.

If I honestly thought the Spider sounded good I'd of bought one, hell, would've saved myself alot of cash. But the simple thing is, the amp sounds pretty bad for a solid state and cannot compare to valve amps.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I like the second to heaviest option on the amp, but the rest IMO is garbage. My friend has one, the only thing I can find a good tone for is death/black/nu-metal.
Dickless.
Quote by steven seagull
There's no such thing as a tube snob, that's just a term bandied around by people that don't know what they're on about. I prefer tube amps myself because I like the warmth and dynamics, if I was into metal though I'd seriously consider a decent SS amp like a Randall, and if I was a jazzer then I think solid state is the only way to go, particularly if i was playing a hollowbody and I wanted the tone to come through unadulterated.

You can argue a case for the Spider as a practice amp for beginners, but it's still not ideal - especially the Spider 3 with all it's presets. The amps an instrument that you have to learn to use, just like the guitar. Trouble is a lot of kids these days want everything instantly and the push-button gratification of the Spider panders to that. The low wattage models are passable for new players who have just graduated from Guitar Hero and want to muck around with effects, but they're not much more than Fisher Price toys and the tones do not stand up at higher volumes, and are downright awful at gigging volumes.

No, seriously.
You must have noticed the guys on UG who pop up in every thread recommending a tube amp no matter what?
Who think every tube amp > every SS amp in every situation?
The guys who recommend an Epi valve junior to the people who want to play metal at bedroom practice levels?
These guys are the reason manufacturers build hybrid amps and put tubes in FX pedals because they know that these guys will wet themselves at the thought of having a tube and they gan go pwn all their friends.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
They aren't snobs, they're just kids who heard about something and regurgitate in every thread....the same one's that recommend EMG's in every pickup thread.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

There are a lot of hokey recommendations for amps around here. I love when some noob says they have $250 to spend on an amp to replace their 10-15W piece of crap they got with their Squier / Ibanez / Behringer starter pack, and the replies are all "save some money and get a good tube amp", and end up recommending amps 3-4 times the budget that the person has. First, it's ridiculous to suggest a tube amp, and second, it's ridiculous to recommend something as far out of the person's price range. How about recommending some good solid state amps in that price range instead? After all, that's what the person asked for. That's like someone asking about a decent, economical compact car to drive around town, and everyone saying to save up till they can afford some luxury SUV or sports car. It's retarded.

The bottom line is that not everyone NEEDS a tube amp. I would even go as far as saying NO ONE needs a tube amp. They may sound better, give more volume, better definition, etc, but they're not mandatory by any stretch of the imagination. There's nothing you can do with a tube amp you can't do with SS (except blow tubes). If all someone is doing is playing at home and the occasional jam with friends, band practice, and occasional gig, there is NO REASON IN THE WORLD a good 50+W SS amp won't fulfil all the player's requirements.

And in fact, in that application, a tube amp is a waste, because you don't hear the full potential of any tube amp unless you're pushing the power tubes with volume. Since even the smallest tube amps are loud as the bejeezus when cranked,realistically speaking, cranking the volume for bedroom practice is NOT an option for the majority of players. Therefore, the unused potential amp is being wasted, whereas a SS amp that sounds best at low - mid volumes would be a much better choice at a fraction of the price.

While I may use tube amps now, I will play any amp as long as it sounds good, be it solid state, hybrid, modeller, or tube. I played a Peavey Bandit for 6 years before going back to (rather, being able to once again afford) tube, and I loved it. In a way, I wish I would have kept it rather than trading it in. I loved that amp. And last year, when my El Diablo was being repaired, I had a loaner Flextone III with floorboard. I played that sucker for 6 weeks of band practice plus a gig, and it sounded totally badass. It had limited useable tones for what I was playing, but I got excellent crunch and clean tones, and I would take that over many tube amps I've played.

So when I 'shit talk' the Spider, it's definately not out of being a "tube snob" (although I know that wasn't directed at me). It's because it's quite honestly a substandard amp and there are much better choices in the same price range.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I hated my old Peavey bandit, which I still have. The midrange is wooly and the sound goes to crap at high volumes, however it does a great thrashy scooped sound...it's just not a tone I really use. I don't like SS amps much myself but I know where they're useful, good modellers have their applications too. However, the Spider isn't a good modeller, it;s a poor one and that's why it gets slated.

There's nothing you can do with a tube amp you can't do with SS (except blow tubes)

I blew a tube once, burnt my tongue....that'll teach me to let my amp cool down in future.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I have mixed feelings about the spider. My friend just got the Spider III 15W. Its a nice amp. Seems sturdy and has a nice set of options but it only really is good for the metal setting with no settings on(to play metallica style stuff). the clean setting is nice, but it makes the amp sound far away. the crunch I like for bluesy stuff and the insane setting is good for maybe a pantera style song or two. Therefor as an amp, I just wish the cleans were better, but its not mine so I dont have to worry.

The effects on the other hand IMO, are complete shit unless your using them on their lowest setting(apart from the reverb). They just seem too over the top for practically any song. Maybe its cus I haven't got a chance to use it for a long period of time and gotten to know it, but I literally beg my friend to turn the effects off.

However, as a pure practice amp, I wouldn't mind a Spider III 75W, simply because of the song presets but thats just cus I'm too lazy to figure out how to get my amps sound to be right.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
I have yet to find much use for the effects to be honest.
I love a nice chorused clean sound, but have been unable to produce one since you only have one parameter and it seems to affect the rate/depth/mix all in one and no position sounds nice.
The phaser is useless for the same reason.
I don't ever use tremolo anyway but again you alter the rate and depth in one go.
The echo might be okay for songwriting purposes I guess but as it's not pedal controllable, that's it.
The reverb might be useable if it was footswitchable but again...
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Cort M200/WS
Hayden Mofo

My Band - Haemasmtha
i just got a spider III 120, and it does indeed sound awesome. However, if you take it up to gigging levels, the tone starts to lack and it does start to lose its tone. My advice is leave the preset tons for practising and put some decent pedals on it for gigging.
Quote by deanodon
you know your a man when youve asked your gran for nude pics

Quote by .smudged.
Sex is overrated, try World of Warcraft.

"One does not simply sweep A major 7!"