OK here's the problem I have with bar chords.

1) I can get my finger to sit flat on the fretboard but it doesn't ring clearly and sounds muted.

2) I can make the fingershapes for the chord part but then the barred finger lifts.

3) My thumb cannot sit in the right place, it either moves a couple of inches away from where the action is; or hangs around at the top of the neck. I can still exert pressure though.

Any ideas? I know I need to keep practising but is there anything else I can do to help with it? I did have the idea of strapping a chopstick to my index finger but that would look stupid at a gig.
always in the poo, only the depth changes
I used to have the same problem and (sorry to say this...) all you can do is practice, it will come naturally with time.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Include bar chords into your everyday practice routine and you will get it. Also, why is this in the Musician Talk thread?
Quote by eckmann88
I used to have the same problem and (sorry to say this...) all you can do is practice, it will come naturally with time.

Thanks just wondered if there was anything else I could do...you know, like write to the government, ask them to ban barre chords etc etc....
Quote by UNIe
Include bar chords into your everyday practice routine and you will get it. Also, why is this in the Musician Talk thread?

They are in my pratice routine since I decided to learn them. Its in the musician talk thread becuase I'm a musician and I'd like to talk about it.
Quote by dm101
They are in my pratice routine since I decided to learn them. Its in the musician talk thread becuase I'm a musician and I'd like to talk about it.

Ok, fine with me
You would indeed embarass yourself by using chopsticks at a gig. I do applaud your efforts in wanting to gig before being able to play a barre chord.

If you are playing an acoustic, it will be tougher at first. Once you get it flawlessly on an acoustic, playing it on electric will be like butter.

You have to strengthen your forearm muscles, whichever way you decide, I dont want to know about it. My suggestion is to get the light tension gripmaster (the blue one). This will help build strength. Use it while you are in class or at work or watching tv. It WILL help.

Try playing the "F" shaped barre chord somewhere in the middle of the fret range(i.e. frets 7-9, or 9-11). The frets are closer together a bit and less tension on the strings than at the nut. Once you get it clean, move that shape down the fret board all the way to the normal "F" chord in frets 1-3.

Try this: dont place your index finger completely flat on the strings. Its seemed unnatural to me, especially playing at lower frets. Try using the part of your index finger that is slighly to the outside part of the finger instead of directly flat. I dont know if that makes sense but you dont have to play it square on.

Its not easy by any means, many people quit learning guitar solely out of frustration of barre chords. The GripMaster I mentioned earlier will also help with your dextierity which may correct your finger placement. You index finger is lifting and your thumb is moving. This is becuase your hand has to over compensate for how you play the rest of the strings that are not being barred. Practice and strength will help.

Good luck.
Gear

EB MusicMan JP6 - Pearl White
Gibson LP Studio - Silverburst
Schecter C-1 Classic - Quilted Blue
Schecter Banshee (x2) - Marine Blue
Taylor GS-Mini
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Half Stack
Line 6 HD500
^ thanks for the good luck. I've actually been playing for about a year, have most of the open chords down, can play some solos, have written about 5 songs, have a band and we are about to look for gigs in the local area. I have been cheating with bar chords, playing variations which sound ok rather than bar chord but a lot of the covers we do require bar chords and sometimes the workarounds arent ideal. I am trying to learn bar chords but getting by without them at the moment.