Poll: Classic rock: A time or a feel?
Poll Options
View poll results: Classic rock: A time or a feel?
In order to be "classic", a song must be written before *Year*.
6 32%
In order to be "classic". a song must have that certain raw, edgy feel to it.
13 68%
Voters: 19.
Do you define something as "classic" depending on the time it was made ("No song written after 1985 is classic rock....") or on the overall feel of the song (As in a band could pen down a song today and it would be every bit a classic as Zeppelin or the Stones.)??? Poll on the way.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Sound.

But
Quote by eckmann88
As in a band could pen down a song today and it would be every bit a classic as Zeppelin or the Stones

It wouldn't be A classic, but it would be a song in the classic rock style.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
It's all in the sound man.
There is a local band out now in my town called "Emerson Rose" (www.myspace.com/emersonrose) And they are a very classic sounding band. They have a very, very classic rock edge, and they make better classic rock music than many CR bands.
Just let the good times roll.
It's a bullshit term anyway.

Why is Motley Crue "classic rock" when X isn't? Because they sold more records?
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Mostly a time. Definitions of the word 'classic' tend to say "describing the original nature of something." However, classic rock bands ALSO have a tendency to have quite similar sounds, at least in comparison to most of today's music. So when a band comes along today that has that classic rock sound, it's easier to enjoy them, but they're still not classic rock. Bands of the 60s and 70s were inventing rock as they did it, so there's something special there that can't be recreated.
Sound...

If it wouldn't be the sound every rock band would be classic rock... as long the wait for a while! It isn't really a genre if it's only cause your band is before a certain year...
Well it is also a sound though... Judas Priest are most certainly not CR. They're metal. Motley Crue air glam, not CR. You listen to music like that and you do need to know when to start slashing out bands. The blues sound is part of what makes a band CR, IMO. Obviously there are exceptions for Sabbath, but they're pioneers of rock and roll, and once they hit Master of Reality, from what I've heard, they dropped the metal sound. Then they were IMO hard rock. So you do have to listen and kind of determine these things. Metallica were started before that 1984 time period, and they most certainly are not Classic Rock.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
TheHeartbreaker already made a thread about this...

...anyway, for me Classic rock is exactly what it says in the announcement at the top of the forum. I agree with what futurejp said but some modern music is also classed as classic rock because it is by classic rock bands.
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Well I consider The Black Crowes to be because of the sound they have in their music. The songs Hard to Handle and She Talks to Angels are extremely CR-ish. I actually thought that they were until I was corrected....
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)