Ok, i haven't been playing guitar that long so this will most probably be a noobish question. Whenever i have my guitar plugged in and turned on i have this constant buzzing sound from my amp is this normal? It varies in how much and how loud depending on what effect i give it. When i press down on the strings it quietens down but it's still noticeable and when i'm playing again it's not as bad but still noticeable so my question is how do i get rid of it? Or is there a way to get rid of it and which is it likely to be my guitar or my amp?
If you're sitting next to a monitor or anything that flickers, move away, see if that helps.
kind of guitar?
Quote by burningcowsrule
...even if you made and Adolf Hitler appreciation thread you wouldnt get flamed half as much as youre about to

-Responding to a BJ Armstrong thread
Quote by SGRocker0791

Atreyu is Hardcore.

Quote by Sargasm

Fans of hardcore probably wouldn't appreciate you saying that
Quote by Fickstigure
kind of guitar?

My Guitar is just a strat and the amp is a Line 6 Spider II
does it have single-coil passive pickups?

as in do the things under the strings have silver bars sticking out a bit?
if it stops when u touch a metal part on the guitar it means the earthing wire is probably damaged or attached wrong.
Quote by glowskulls
does it have single-coil passive pickups?

as in do the things under the strings have silver bars sticking out a bit?

Yeah theres 3 pickups under the strings, and they are raised.
Quote by ste89
Yeah theres 3 pickups under the strings, and they are raised.

they'll tend to pick up interferance like a bitch, are you stitting near a tv screen or do you have a light on with a dimmer switch. or any light for that matter?
Quote by glowskulls
they'll tend to pick up interferance like a bitch, are you stitting near a tv screen or do you have a light on with a dimmer switch. or any light for that matter?

Not a TV screen no, well i mean i have a small TV near where my amp is but that's not on at the moment. I'm obviously sat at my computer and my room isn't that big either so maybe my pc could have something to do with it? And as for the light no, and i don't have a light on at the moment anyway
if your computer is on while you're playing that might be it.

is it a really loud buzz or is it more of a kind of soft fuzz noise?
It's just like a continuous buzzing drone if you get me, and now and then if you listen carefully enough you can hear a clicking noise but it's not all the time
shit man i'm stumped.

the clicking noise might be from a mobile phone if there's one nearby.

i know what noise you're talking about because i've had it too, but mine just went away.

the only thing i can think of is try setting up in another room for a couple of minutes, just to see if it happens in there as well.preferebly one with hardly any electrical in it. if it doesn't happen there i suggest you go around your room making sure everything electrical is
turned off, because chances are that's the problem.

sorry i couldn't be of any more help man.
click the strat to the 2 or 4 spot on the switch. the pickup combination should cancel a little of the hum.

additionally, you can look into shielding the guitar a little better.

also, sometimes a loose guitar input or a bad guitar cable will cause a lot of excess noise.

there are a bunch of reasons why single coils hum.

plug into a different outlet. touch metal on the guitar, swap the cables, check the guitar and amp inputs, turn off anything running in the room, shield the guitar, it goes on and on.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
its the computer it happens with my laptop just move it i.e. either the computer or the amp