I played a Les Paul a long time ago and the squals of it are still in my head. The pickups were chrome top style, not double coil looking.

But I am thinking about getting those pickups for my Gibson SG. Anyone know the stock pickups on Les Pauls that are chrome top looking?
... when will people learn they need to be more specific when they make threads?

What model was it?

The different models have different pickups!

Also, those "chrome top style" things are just pickup covers, they can be removed or added.

and what type of SG do you have?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
which was why i asked. it was over a year ago and i dont remember the model. the best i remember was how it could scream and squal like no other pickup.

sg special
What amp did you play the Les Paul through? If it was your amp then obviously the guitar was making the difference, if it wasn't then it may have been the amp that was impressing you. Also, Les Pauls are heavier than SG's, so you do get a thicker tone out of them and you can't really change that, new pickups or no.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If they were from a year old les paul and had pickup covers then they were burstbuckers (thats if they were stock).
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
not sure it was at guitar center. maybe a line 6.

it was probably the amp because i use an MG at home.

the les paul pickups seemed way better than sg's when i bought my sg at guitar center and tried other guitars.
Last edited by Act at Feb 22, 2007,
Alright....

Well,

The highest output humbucker Gibson makes is the "Dirty Fingers"

However, they come without covers, they are "open coil humbuckers"

I assume you mean a Gibson SG Special?

Les Paul standards come with Burstbucker Pros. You could get those if you want, but I don't quite understand why you want a pickup that squeals...

edit:

I would reccomend getting a real amp before you try to upgrade your guitar, the amp makes up much more of your tone than your pickups do.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I just loved the sound of the Les Pauls when I played them at GuitarCenter. When I played Strats and other guitars they didn't give the punch Les Pauls did.

And by squal I mean the harmonics, vibrato, bends, everything. The notes were just more defined when I played with them.

I'll look up on Burstbucker Pros. I'll probably just put one in the neck because thats where I loved it.

Thanks a lot

edit: whats a good amp to get? i might get a new head for my cabinet because the mg head sucks.
I wouldn't bother with pickups, it will have been the difference the amp was making that you heard, not the pickups. A Les Paul will have more balls than a strat due to the humbuckers and heavy mahogany body. Putting the same pickups in an SG won't turn it into a Les Paul and it won't make it sound like one either.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you've only got an MG at home it was, without doubt, the amp that made the biggest difference, MGs suck ass.
to be honest it could have been a lot of different pups in that lespaul.

you might have even played a les paul deluxe which has mini humbuckers so unless you know your stuff you wont be a ble to pinpoint the pups.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX