I have an MG100HDFX head to go with my cab and it sucks. I am thinking about getting a new amp to go with my new pickups.

What is something that isn't that expensive? Something 25-75 watts is fine. Doesn't have to be a head or cab. I would like one easily moved around.
well, what kind of pickups arre you using?
type of music you play?

if you wanna stick with marshalls, then id say the jcm 800. its an amazing sounding amp, is very versitile, and if you buy a combo (2x12, for example) then theyre not too bad to get around, but theyre pretty heavy
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Classic Wine Red (beautiful)

Marshall vintage Jcm 800 50 watt lead combo

Fender Standard Mexican strat

Fender FM65 amp

Dunlop Cry Baby wah
Quote by Act
I have an MG100HDFX head to go with my cab and it sucks.

I feel your pain my friend
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by zepp_411
well, what kind of pickups arre you using?
type of music you play?

if you wanna stick with marshalls, then id say the jcm 800. its an amazing sounding amp, is very versitile, and if you buy a combo (2x12, for example) then theyre not too bad to get around, but theyre pretty heavy

its not very versitile at all, its pretty much just a hardrock amp.
You can get a Peavey Valveking for around $300-400 (for the head). They definitely aren't amazing, but it'll be a lot better than your MG (in my opinion).
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
steve vai, satriani, paul gilbert, that kind of stuff. i also want to be able to hear harmonics better and have them scream when it is pinched. also an amp that can catch nice dives.

would my speaker cabinet go with a better head? the head i use right now makes it seem like the speakers suck.
^^

hmm...

it may be but if you don't have much money yet for a whole change
then knock the head or combo first down...

and what's your budget?
Well dude here's a thread I started yesterday as I am in basically exactly the same situation as you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530470 There's a few amps mentioned so take a look
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Quote by Act
steve vai, satriani, paul gilbert, that kind of stuff. i also want to be able to hear harmonics better and have them scream when it is pinched. also an amp that can catch nice dives.

would my speaker cabinet go with a better head? the head i use right now makes it seem like the speakers suck.

I had the same problem trying to get a nice amp that goes well with harmonics, A bright amp will do, but it sounds like your on a tight budget. Just perfect the technique, newer strings will help, Settings on your amp, and the pickups your using helps it alot too.
hmm my budget is around 800-1000 maybe. (more than i spent on my guitar :x)
For 800, you could get something much better than your MG. If you're firm on the 1000, you're moving into pretty nice territory.
^^

yeap...

hmm...

for those a tube amp would be a necessity...

Peavey - JSX
Marshall - JCM800 (used)
Carvin - Legacy (used)
Laney - GH50L (used or new)

you should really try these out first though...
Buy a VJ. They sound great when cranked.

Failing, this, Peavey don't let me down, Pignose Neither.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.