I was on www.musictheory.net going through these lessons, and i dont understand something. What is the purpose of Diatonic Triads? I'm still very new to any theory or basic knowledge of music (even though ive been playing guitar for two years, but hey, better late than never, right?) so please be gentle.

EDIT: also, come to think of it, what the hell does Diatonic mean?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Diatonic means 2 notes that are different. So a diatonic triad means 3 notes that are different hence diatonic triads are a fancy way of saying a basic "chord" Now when you start to add 7th's ,9th's and so forth these are chord extensions.
Also all scales are diatonic which simply means all the notes are different.
Consider the G major scale: G A B C D E F# you'll never see G A B C D E G flat, even though F# and G flat are the same note because all scales are diatonic (all the notes have to be different hence you'll never see G flat in the G major scale, it's always written F#)
Last edited by Zimwibwe at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by Zimwibwe
Diatonic means 2 notes that are different. So a diatonic triad means 3 notes that are different hence diatonic triads are a fancy way of saying a basic "chord" Now when you start to add 7th's ,9th's and so forth these are chord extensions.
Also all scales are diatonic which simply means all the notes are different.
Consider the G major scale: G A B C D E F# you'll never see G A B C D E G flat, even though F# and G flat are the same note because all scales are diatonic (all the notes have to be different hence you'll never see G flat in the G major scale, it's always written F#)

Diatonic means that you are using the notes within the scale. Diatonic triads would be the chords that are created by harmonizing the scale.

The purpose? Those chords will work together well in songs. That doesn't mean that you can't use other chords that aren't in the same key (non diatonic). You can also use them to create interesting guitar parts.
Summer Sale: Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends September 4th.
www.UnderTheGroove.com
It means that you´re using the notes that are in the key.
For example: Cmajor scale is:C D E F G A B. Now by using these 7 notes notes you can "build" seven different chords that belongs to the key of C maj. Here`s how you do it:

Take the 1st,3rd and 5th notes of the scale this would be C E G
Then do the same but this time start with the second note D, you`ll get D F A right?

Do this with all the seven notes and you will get: C E G Cmaj
D F A Dmin
E G B Emin
F A C Fmaj
G B D Gmaj
A C E A min
B D F B dim
Last edited by rich72 at Feb 26, 2007,
Alot of points Diatonic is the start to learning any scale. If you want to improvise at all you need to know diatonic.