Whats up guys, I've been playing for about 3 1/2 years and I'm going to be buying a new guitar next week. I've narrowed the guitars down to the Ibanez GRX20 or the GSZ120. From the reviews I've read these are decent guitars stock and they fit my budget. I'm leaning more towards the gsz120 right now but if you guys have any suggestions on which is better, I'd appreciate it. My main question is, if I buy either of the guitars, would I be able to upgrade the pickups to a EMG 81 at the bridge and EMG 85 at the neck? If possible, would it be a lot of trouble? Thanks in advance.
Yes you could. It wouldn't be that hard at all. But if you don't know how to switch pickups you'll definitely need someone to do it for you.
Yeah Dimebag is not the "Greatest Guitarist" of all time... Hendrix maybe... I must go get food to eat with my mouth

$250 for an amp? wow. is it worth it to invest that much in the amp?

If you would like to upgrade to active EMG's, you should go for the GSZ120 since it's made of mahogany instead of the GRX's basswood.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Actives pickups sound way better for any rock. For cleans, they arent the best, but do perfectly well. I have an Ibanez with a full set of Actives and its great.
99% of the people here who really, really know their stuff will tell you that you should upgrade your amp (i.e. replace it with a nice one) before you replace pickups.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
99% of the people here who really, really know their stuff will tell you that you should upgrade your amp (i.e. replace it with a nice one) before you replace pickups.

+1

what amp do you have? or are you plannin on buying one with the guitar?
KsE

You know they rock.
I have a Peavey Rage 158 (15w) practice amp at the moment, its not too bad but not that great either. I will def. be getting a new amp later but i still want to add the emg's
so which will you be getting first? the guitar with EMGs or the new amp?

ps. i vote gsz120. i love that one.
KsE

You know they rock.
Get a new amp first. I have the same amp and it's half decent, but I'd highly recommend upgrading it to something nice.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I think i will get the guitar and pickups first...i have a squire bullet (what i learned on)and i'm sure you all know...its a p.o.s. in general...but it sucks exceptionally well at hard rock/metal.
If you get the pickups, how long will you have to save until you get a new amp?

You might want to get the new guitar and the amp at the same time, then save up for the new pickups.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

thats a good suggestion...what amp would you suggest? When I buy a new amp its gonna be one loud/good enough for shows since I just got into a band...are there any decently (< 500) priced amps out there that are good?
Alot of people here have said good things about the Valve Juniors by Epiphone.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: