Sorry for another thread..
but i've been on a mission to find a good full tube amp for around £400 maybe more.
I've been looking around at second hand Peavey 5150 halfstacks & Marshall JCM 900 halfstacks.
I play death and thrash metal, but it would be nice to have an amp which has nice cleans and can do some lighter stuff aswell (like Opeth interludes)
I'm guessing the Peavey can do death metal no problem, but what about the cleans?
And would a JCM 900 have high enough gain for death metal? are it's cleans good?
Also.. info about a JCM 2000? would that do the job I'm after?
Thanks
The tootsie roll pop owl says Peavey 5150.

He also says 3.

I'd trust the tootsie roll pop owl.

EDIT:

Not too sure about the 5150 cleans, but it seems that death metal is more important to you, and that it can do. I'd go with the 5150 and maybe get yourself a sonic maximizer (or something)to make your clean sound more special.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Go Peavey for the real high gain stuff.
JCM 900 is a better all around and reliable amp, but for the music you listed, I'd do the 5150.
the 900 is more versatile (MUCH more versatile) and the tone is great (way better than the 5150 IMveryHO). But I don't think it will have enough gain by itself for death or thrash.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
I own a JCM900 4100 and a 1960A cab, and it sounds great. It does not have enough gain to do death metal though, you can pull off Metallica but nothing too heavy. I recently bought a Metal Muff and that really takes it over the edge. The cleans are excellent, much better than a 5150 I would say. I hope that helped, I am at school so I can't get real in depth, but if you have anymore questions, shoot me a PM.
High as tits
Quote by CyanideChris
Sorry for another thread..
but i've been on a mission to find a good full tube amp for around £400 maybe more.
I've been looking around at second hand Peavey 5150 halfstacks & Marshall JCM 900 halfstacks.
I play death and thrash metal, but it would be nice to have an amp which has nice cleans and can do some lighter stuff aswell (like Opeth interludes)
I'm guessing the Peavey can do death metal no problem, but what about the cleans?
And would a JCM 900 have high enough gain for death metal? are it's cleans good?
Also.. info about a JCM 2000? would that do the job I'm after?
Thanks

You can forget about the 5150 + cab for £400. You'd be lucky to score both for £700. The heads go around about £500-£600. I'd imagine it's a similar story for the JCM900.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
I agree with the Marshall and some sort of over-the-top drive pedal. I'm a Rock guy.... GnR, Zepplin, AC/DC..... so I rarely use an OD pedal. But I have the Keeley Mod TS-808 that I basically only run on my Clean Channel on the TSL....which works great for really high twank riffs like covering Spin Doctors or 7 Mary 3....ect.ect. I'm sure there's a pedal out there somewhere that will wreak death and havoc and all that jazz. But if you are looking into a1 00W 1/2 Stack..... you better be playing some serious Venues. I have a 60W Marshall and a 30W Class A Vox and it's enough to kill the neighbors. Plus always remember.... Tube amps need to be open. And a Marshall 900 Head wide open is LOUDer than LOUD. But sings so sweet cranked. You could play an outdoor show at a high school football stadium w/ a 100w 1/2 Stack and not need to PA Mic it.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
i'd go for the 2000, just purely on versitality.

But the 900 will do all you want very nicely.
New tracks on my profile! Please check them out and see what you think!
I just got a jcm2000 plus 1960b for £500 locally. I previously had a valvestate which i was surprised holds up to the half stack well, but you dont get as much smoothness and beef with the 4x12. 50watts is plenty for gigging and for anything outside stadium rock!. I was also disappointed not being able to get a death metal sound ala 5150 but am going to try a metal muff which may do the trick.

If you are gigging locally you can always rely on other bands providing half stacks and for demos the same. Depends how much you can afford-you could get a 100w valvestate with new valves plus metal muff and ehx black finger compression for £350. I am still debating whether the extra 500 quid is worth a bit more beef and smoothness when its mostly in the house.