I am stoked for this summer already. I live in Oregon and we have a lot of water to have fun in. I have been rafting and canoeing a lot but I am thinking I would like a kayak. I see people doing it and they flip over face down in the water a lot and come right back up. Question is: Do I need to get lessons to learn how to use one or are they pretty easy to learn on my own? I just don't want to drown!!!
ahh...they are easy
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Seamanstains
I would get a few lessons, I did and it was very helpful cause there is a technique to rolling

rolling? thats it, lessons are expensive, if I do not get them will I drown?
Quote by d3guns
I am stoked for this summer already. I live in Oregon and we have a lot of water to have fun in. I have been rafting and canoeing a lot but I am thinking I would like a kayak. I see people doing it and they flip over face down in the water a lot and come right back up. Question is: Do I need to get lessons to learn how to use one or are they pretty easy to learn on my own? I just don't want to drown!!!

You don't need to know how to Eskimo roll (that's what the technique is called) to kayak, unless you're doing whitewater where the ability to do so will save your life - I wouldn't try whitewater kayaking without lessons or an experienced person to help you. Otherwise, kayaking is easy and enjoyable.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by d3guns
rolling? thats it, lessons are expensive, if I do not get them will I drown?

It's actually called an eskimo roll, but no you won't drown if you don't get lessons just don't go anywhere you don't think you can handle
Quote by Dirk Gently
You don't need to know how to Eskimo roll (that's what the technique is called) to kayak, unless you're doing whitewater where the ability to do so will save your life - I wouldn't try whitewater kayaking without lessons or an experienced person to help you. Otherwise, kayaking is easy and enjoyable.

I will be doing some mild white water and the ocean surf, but I've already done it in rafts canoes, etc, but not a kayak.
there easy to use, if you ride in like hard waters you might wanna buy a skirt for your kayak and it will flip you back over.
Quote by PissedOffGerman
there easy to use, if you ride in like hard waters you might wanna buy a skirt for your kayak and it will flip you back over.

I take it the skirt would keep the air inside the kayak so the air flips you back? I am looking this one:

http://www.gijoes.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2047643&cp=717034.2148705.2158067&page=2&doVSearch=no&pageBucket=0&parentPage=family
It's not the air that helps you flip over. Essentially what you do is put your body flat against the deck of the kayak and use your hips to rotate you over. It's something you should practice a LOT on flatwater first. The skirt is just there to keep water out of your kayak when you're whitewatering. BTW, there's a big difference between a whitewater kayak and a sea kayak.

The link you have there is essentially a raft. You won't be able to do much of anything in it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
It's not the air that helps you flip over. Essentially what you do is put your body flat against the deck of the kayak and use your hips to rotate you over. It's something you should practice a LOT on flatwater first. The skirt is just there to keep water out of your kayak when you're whitewatering. BTW, there's a big difference between a whitewater kayak and a sea kayak.

are there fins on a sea kayak? I used to surf but it is so hard to get a long ride, but I always saw the kayakers out there and it looks like a lot of fun!, btw that helped a lot I get how it works now!
Don't get an inflatable kayak, they're not fun. Get a hardshell one because they're easier to maneuver and to get around small spaces.
I don't about fins, but sea kayaks are generally long. Whitewater kayaks are usually around 6-8 feet in length with wide, flat noses and tails.
Hi, I'm Peter
i used to kayak alot, you just need to know what to do when you capsise, how to use the support strokes (if you encounter any rapids/dangers) and make sure you wear a spraydeck/splashdeck. Thatl keep your legs warm have fun mate.
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
If your vegetarian girl harasses you about eating meat, snap back with, "Eating more entirely defenseless plants that provide us with oxygen?"

That'll shut that bitch up faster than two black eyes.

its not too hard, but yeah i would take some lessons before you try whitewater, because if you cant flip yourself back over in a rapid your only choice is to bail, and going through class 3/4 rapids without a boat is really, really lame, and potentially lethal.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Get lessons, kayaking can be fairly hard to get good at.

Rolling isnt that hard (can almost do it, will try and get it finished in summer) but I recommend getting lessons. If you have a friend, learn eskimo rescues where you use the nose of their boat to flip yours back over.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
it depends if you're using racing kayaks or whitewater ones. whitewater ones are piss easy but if it's a racing one you should get a few lessons
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
I work at a canoe/kayak/tube rental and kayaking is probably my favorite thing to do. If you were able to do canoeing no problem, kayaking is so much easier. You have a lot more control and can stop and switch turns fairly easily. So I'd recommend kayaking over canoeing any day. Cept personally when I work, I hate kayaks, they suck putting on a trailer. Ironically it's easier to just load a canoe because of the technique involved in lifting it.
White water/Playboat

sea kayak

the top one is a play boat, white water boat. They are easy to use and really manoverable. The bottom ine is a sea/touring kayak, not a surf kayak.

Basicly, u wont need to learn to roll if ur not using the spray deck (the neopreme skirt). but if u do use the deck its a good idea to learn to roll, or at least get yourslef out if the boat if ur upside down.
"A good friend will come bail you out of jail.... But a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying "Damn... we screwed up!"

Quote by Muppet
OMGLOLZORZ!!!!!1111oneoneone

You are SO funny, I can't believe it!

[/sarc. off]
i only ever used a kayak once.

when i was in boy scouts we took a lesson for a few hours one day.

its pretty easy really. i suggest trying one on slow moving water like a lake or such first, that way you can get a feel for how it handles.
Yea! They're great, you'll get used to it fast, and it's so fun if you've got friends doing it too (you can try and capsize them...)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Unless your going down rivers, you dont need to be able to do an eskimo roll.

Oh and never roll unless you have a spraydeck.
I kayak, canoe?
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin