Page 1 of 2
dont bash. he is so amazing. whos excited for the new albums??
myspace.com/bringmethebrandon

R.I.P. Elliott Smith (August 6, 1969 – October 21, 2003)
There are already a Bright Eyes thread and a Conor Vibrator-throat thread, respectively.
Hi, I'm Peter
bright eyes rule.... gonna see them (him) soon, hope he's not drunk though......
lol he is always drunk at shows. he is on tour now. thisisbrighteyes.com is the new site if you donno

edit: and sorry i just found the other bright eyes thread i didnt even see it but its on page 6 no one will know

Last edited by BMTHorizon at Feb 22, 2007,
I just downloaded Lifted via bit torrent and I gotta say it is one amazing album, possibly better then Wide Awake. That album gradually grew on me, as originally I couldn't stand the songs with steel guitar in them (which is about half.)
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

^Lifted is great. Not fond of the opening track though, ergh!

Digital Ash is better for me. I have a electro-indie thing
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
^I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence with that one. The intro "skit" gets old and the screeching he makes at the end of the song is horrendous, but other then that it's pretty good.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

I really need to get some of his albums.

Which ones would you recommend first?
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
I think your best bet for getting into it would either be "I'm Wide Awake It's Morning" or "Lifted..." but if you want to go straight for some of his more raw and probably best work "Fevers and Mirrors" would be the way to go although I consider Bright Eyes an acquired taste and the first 2 albums I named would probably be a better way to get started.
i think letting off the happiness is one of the best albums, like a mixture between cool folk indie music and with a raw vital sound...
i like the older stuff better just him playing and singing. Fevers and Mirrors is very good. and i like Wide awake, its morning. And Digital ash in Digital Urn. basically all his stuff is amazing so you cant go wrong with any of them. and has anyone heard the stuff off thier new album on myspace? Four winds

lifted>fevers&mirrors>digital ash>letting off>wide awake
personally.

four winds got me pretty excited for the new album, i was pretty worried they (can't be just "he" anymore since he officially added mike mogis and nate walcott) would go in more of a wide awake direction, but that EP seems to have more of a rock influence, in a distinctly bright eyes way.
the best track is four winds, i just love the whacky violin. tourist trap is a nice song as well
think the rest are ok not completely what i'd expected but what the hell.. need to hear the album anyways!
Quote by pumpkins_rule
^I don't know, I'm kind of on the fence with that one. The intro "skit" gets old and the screeching he makes at the end of the song is horrendous, but other then that it's pretty good.

exactly. i took the time to listen to it and it is an alright song. but some parts annoy me. and its 8 minutes!

Speaking of them, i'm listening to digital ash now. I dunno why, but it hooks me in!
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by system
if you guys are talking about the song "the big picture", you're retarded. those are the best lyrics he has ever written.

Well that maybe, but it also has a boring intro, a boring outro and awful vocals.

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

^ When are his vocals good? Conor Oberst should be like Bernie Taupin - writing lyrics for someone with better musical sense than him. When he sings, I think of someone bludgeoning a bleating goat.
Hi, I'm Peter
Wide Awake>Lifted>Fevers>Digital Ash

Still yet to hear Letting Off The Happiness.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
Well that maybe, but it also has a boring intro, a boring outro and awful vocals.

well you don't listen to bright eyes if you expect conor to sing like beyonce you're going to be dissapointed if you do. also no matter the voice the lyrics are completely magnificent the best stuff he's ever written in my opinon..
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ When are his vocals good? Conor Oberst should be like Bernie Taupin - writing lyrics for someone with better musical sense than him. When he sings, I think of someone bludgeoning a bleating goat.

Eh it's an acquired taste. Sometimes when I feel he's purposely putting angst into his vocals it gets on my nerves, but usually they're quite nice. And to the guy above me, no one said he has to sound like beyonce, I just think that on certain songs he overdoes it. Case in point, 7:38-7:46 of "Big Picture".

Quote by mydarkesthour

Quote by mydarkesthour

Last edited by pumpkins_rule at Feb 26, 2007,
dude, even tho he doesnt have the greatest voice but if you would take the time to listen to what he is saying. his lyrics are so good the best of our time i would say. and i dont like the new stuff as much as the old stuff but i like Four Winds

I've only heard a few songs, but from what I've heard he's a good artist. I'm just about to download an album of his.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by KR3Wskater111
The Bob dylan of this gerneration.

indeed

Quote by BMTHorizon
indeed

i'd rather call him the Leonard Cohen of this generation, his whole style of writing doesn't really remind me of dylan, it's much more of a "story telling" way of writing that
at least i think is very familiar to cohen... also; willy mason would much more fit in as the new "bob dylan"... but anyways they both rock!
haha well you get the idea =D

I d/led the 'I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning Album' earlier (said I was going to :p) and I'm pretty impressed. I do like this guy, though not many people in my area have heard of him.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
whats your area? the middle of nowhere?! who doesnt know bright eyes

1) Conor Oberst isn't the ANYTHING of this generation except for maybe the Conor Oberst of this generation.

2) You love/hate his voice. Yes, we know.

3) No one's forcing you to listen to Bright Eyes. Except for maybe that indie-girl friend you have that's totally obsessed with his hotness.

4) Bright Eyes IS Conor Oberst. Just the same as Death Cab IS Ben Gibbard.

5) Why is this thread still open?

ummm cuz he like to talk about how good he is =D why did you even post that? who cares

^come on who cares..... i just saw the four winds video and the only thing that came across my mid was..... what's up with his hair it's like he's trying to be kurt cobain or something?
and yeah the video was OK not as artsy as the usual stuff.
i thought it was dumb. it had like no meaning besides he doesnt care what people think. which we all knew. yah his hair is mega gay

Quote by oak
^come on who cares..... i just saw the four winds video and the only thing that came across my mid was..... what's up with his hair it's like he's trying to be kurt cobain or something?
and yeah the video was OK not as artsy as the usual stuff.

He NEEDS to cut his hair back. Love Bright Eyes.

Wide Awake>Lifted>(TIE) Fevers/Letting>Digital

Funny because my favorite song is "Easy/Luck/Free", but Digital is my least favorite album. I still like that album, but not as much as the others.

The EP Dont Be Frightened of Turning The page is awsome.

He is a talented songwriter like Bob Dylan, but I think their writing styles are very different. Leonard Cohen is AMAZING as well.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Mar 1, 2007,
Page 1 of 2