So I was planning of taking a break from guitar. I already sold my amp and thinking of a way to sell my guitar (other than eBay). When I sell my guitar I will have a budget of probably 400-500 euros.

So I was looking at a Fender Jazz Bass for the last few days. Reviews, videos, research, etc. I really started considering buying one until today..

I was walking around town and I found a Yamaha instrument shop and I looked at a Yamaha RBX 374 and fell in love with it.

The Yamaha costs 350 and the Jazz Bass costs roughly the same. I love the look of both guitars. Both the guitars are comfortable and pretty much playable. I just need some advice.

Amp suggestins will also be welcome as I have no clue of what good amps there are for a beginner.

Oh and if anybody asks me what type of music i'm gonna play, my favourite band is Dream Theater and I also enjoy other progressive rock/metal bands. My friend also wants me to be in his Thrash band so I need something versatile.
Last edited by Saintsatan at Feb 22, 2007,
Depends what kind of music you play, I guess. However, Fender's always receive very good opinions on here so that's what I would go for. But it really depends on which one you think will last you longer, and which one you enjoy the look of more.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by Dinkydaisy
Depends what kind of music you play, I guess. However, Fender's always receive very good opinions on here so that's what I would go for. But it really depends on which one you think will last you longer, and which one you enjoy the look of more.

Okay I edited in what style of music I will play, it's on the bottom of the post.
John Myung uses a yamaha so if you like dream theatre that might be better. I have played both of those basses and I prefer the fender but for thrash and dream theatre stuff I would say the yamaha is better.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by bassFTW
maybe Schecter deluxe

I dont want to buy something off the internets. No Schecters in any shops around my area

Indie-bassist had the only good answer.
I'd go for the yamaha, I almost got one as my second bass but I prefered an ibenez. Although I have to say i've never been a fan of jazz basses (just don't find their necks comftable)
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
i wouldnt go for a jazz if thats what your going to play try precisions very punchy sound maybe a musicman sub or olp?
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Quote by Strongbow
i wouldnt go for a jazz if thats what your going to play try precisions very punchy sound maybe a musicman sub or olp?

I'm not a fan of Precision basses. Yeah there is a Musicman bass in a shop near me but it costs 2000 euro
what about the subs or the olp?

I have an olp its brilliant for the money as im mainly a guitarist with a fetish for basses. I love jazz's i find they could do most things well but i think thrash maybe pushing it..
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
Quote by Strongbow
what about the subs or the olp?

I have an olp its brilliant for the money as im mainly a guitarist with a fetish for basses. I love jazz's i find they could do most things well but i think thrash maybe pushing it..

I like trying out guitars and basses in shops. There are no Musicman OLP's or SUB's in any of the shops nearby.
Get the Yamaha! I have one and love it. I have played both, and IMO the Fender sucks major ****. I just hate the way they look, feel and sound. Whereas the Yamaha is ****ing amazing.

Edit: The Yamaha is great for Thrash too
Last edited by Chimpy101 at Feb 22, 2007,
The Fender Jazz is a great abss, but it sounds like it wouldn't be the best fit for what you'll be playing. If you're focusing more on the thrash than prog rock, the Jazz might be a bit out of place. Both good basses though, choose whichever has that "sound" you want if you get what I mean.
Get the Fender. John Myung used a Fender on the first two albums. It is quite simply the best bass you can buy in your situation. Aftermarket pieces are plentiful as well.
Quote by enzoslashslash
Get the Fender. John Myung used a Fender on the first two albums. It is quite simply the best bass you can buy in your situation. Aftermarket pieces are plentiful as well.

My other favourite band's (Opeth) bassist also uses a Jazz bass... It's so hard to choose!
Well I didn't try a Fender so can't say
anything at all about it, but Yamaha
kicks ass

But afterall it's your choice cause everybody
experiences things different...
SevenIsMyLuckyNumber
Fenders are overrated cause everyone used them in the past IMHO

Yammies are nice so i'd go with the yammie

also play every bass you can get your hands on - you could be pleasantly surprised by a cheaper bass
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I'm leaning a bit more towards the Yamaha now. It looks like it's more suitable for the job in a Thrash metal band and for my prog stuff. Are there any good amp suggestions?
Well if you drop 350 on the yamaha, that only leaves about 150 at most for the amp, and for that little, i would say the only reliable thing you could buy is probably a fender rumble
Don't get a fender 25watt rumble. I have one, and it sucks balls. It is knackered now, and never was too great, although it does have flashing LEDs
Quote by Chimpy101
Don't get a fender 25watt rumble. I have one, and it sucks balls. It is knackered now, and never was too great, although it does have flashing LEDs

So what would be a good amp for a reasonable price?