i have no expierience with amp circutry but im wonering what it takes (if at all possible) to replace the solid state rectifier in a vox ac15 with a valve rectifier. any ideas at all?
A lot of modding, why'd ya want to do it?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I was weary of getting the new ac15s because of the solid state rectifier, but i guess it mightnt matter much now. does anyone know what i would need to do to replace it and what would be the best tube rectifier to get?(which ones used in orignal ac15s?)
it will change the way it breaks up, which would be cool. Try it out. The only thing you would need to do now is to learn how a rectifier works, so that you don't just follow the diagram and you are capable of diagnosing the problem if one occurs.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
In my opinion the AC15 is great, dont change it. Its not making the amp not All Tube. And if your worried about somebody thinking its not all tube (if your shallow ) than they wont know
I do prefer tube over SS rectification, but I wouldn't let it influence which amp I buy.
also, depending on what tranformer voltage taps you have you may need to figure out a way to get a 5 volt power source because most tube rectifiers run 5 volt filaments and most other tubes run 6.3/12.6 volt filaments
Depends on the rectifier. The original EZ81 used in the AC15 did indeed run off the same 6.3v heater supply.

It's much easier and you can get similar results by merely putting a resistor in the power supply. The sag across the resistor achieves a similar effect as that across a tube rectifier.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
not to argue here but the required filament voltage for the 5Y3, the 5U4, and the GZ34 is 5 volts. these are the main types of rectifier tubes used in guitar amps. that is why i said "most tube rectifiers run 5 volt filaments"
if you dont belive me about the voltages just look here:
http://www.triodeel.com/5ar4_p1.gif
http://www.triodeel.com/5y3_p1.gif
http://www.triodeel.com/5u4_p1.gif
I havent seen a transformer with a 5v tap though. I have always seen those and other rectifiers hooked up to 6.3v so i dont know why you keep going on about this...

Kerry
Dude, he is right you know. 5v is by far the prevalent rectifier voltage.
And you have seen a transformer with a 5v tap.
How many rectifiers have you seen again?
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Dude, he is right you know. 5v is by far the prevalent rectifier voltage.
And you have seen a transformer with a 5v tap.
How many rectifiers have you seen again?

Let's PLEASE not go down that road again.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Fine, short and sweet.
1800, the amp that you build had a 5v tap.
Running 5v heaters on 6.3v wears them out; they burn too hot.
In guitar amps, there are more 5v rectifiers utilized than 6.3 volts.
http://www.drtube.com/tubedata.htm#Rectifiers
All the tubes with the 5 prefix take 5v, 6 prefix take 6v.
Done, I'm out.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he use EZ81 tubes? Reading off your link, it says they run on 6.3V.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he use EZ81 tubes? Reading off your link, it says they run on 6.3V.

Yep, he's running an EZ81, on 6.3v (as I said earlier IIRC), but his transformer still has a 5v tap regardless. He could run a rectifier with a 5v heater no problem, if he used that tap. He's just not using it currently.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Yep, he's running an EZ81, on 6.3v (as I said earlier IIRC), but his transformer still has a 5v tap regardless. He could run a rectifier with a 5v heater no problem, if he used that tap. He's just not using it currently.

I took your first post to mean that he was using 5v heaters, but reading over it again, I see what you meant. Thanks for clearing that up
Quote by forsaknazrael
If you're tired of it, I'll buy it off you.

sorry havent even bought the amp yet. (and how could you get tired of an AC15???)
if life is a ride....death is the orgasm!