well guys and gals, the title says it all. i haven't given a TON of thought to this but got the idea while replying to another thread.

i'll put in a vote for dean deleo from STP/army of anyone. his chord structuring and progressions are definately wouldn't fall into the "novice" catergory
i'll go along with frusciante as one of the best rhythm wise. on breaking the girl he tunes his 12 string down a half step just to get the "loose string" sound and it paid off.
Quote by ce12872001
James Hetfield

WHAT? Metallica hahaa, they're rhythms and solos are garbage. Both of them are way too overrated. They call themselves metal rofl. Listen to some real metal.
Whether I like them or not or whether they call themselves metal or not makes no difference to me...I don't really like metal all that much. The rhythm parts of "master of puppets", "battery", "seek and destroy", and a lot of other metallica songs are pretty damn good. You can rip on them all u want, I don't give a shit, but don't try to dictate my personal style of music. If I listened to "real" metal, it would be obvious that I had no musical taste whatsoever anyways.
Quote by ce12872001
Whether I like them or not or whether they call themselves metal or not makes no difference to me...I don't really like metal all that much. The rhythm parts of "master of puppets", "battery", "seek and destroy", and a lot of other metallica songs are pretty damn good. You can rip on them all u want, I don't give a shit, but don't try to dictate my personal style of music. If I listened to "real" metal, it would be obvious that I had no musical taste whatsoever anyways.

Saying that is still not making their rhythms any better. James Hetfield picks like a five year old. Try listening to some crazy rhythm patterns like Angra's "Temple of Hate."
I don't really know that he can be considered one of the best, but I like Jack White and the rhythm stuff he does
Rhythm guitarists have become less and less important in modern rock. You get the likes of Frusciante, Bellamy, and Morello, with such out-going and unique styles that they dont need a rhythm guitarist. also, they have powerful bass players who can keep a groove together as well as a rhythm guitarist could.