Hey,

I have decided to make a custom guitar. I know the basic stuff on how to make it and all, but i dont really know where to find the wood and such. Would a place like Home Depot have it? Or would it not be of good quality? I want it to be Alder with a maple neck (neck-thru)

Also, how would i go about making it neck-thru? Would i just make the part of the neck that would connect to the body longer andat the same width as the body jsut continue then add the body around it? How would i attatch the body?

thanks
Home Depot would probably have maple, but it probably wouldn't be suitable to be made out of a neck. Neck wood needs to be free of knots and defects, and needs to be really dry.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Ovbiously, Someone will suggest Warmoth.com, so it may as well be me, but i have found that it is too expensive for me...
As far as the body blank, its relatively inexpensive - buy the right stuff rather than use Home Depot as a resource. An excellent and inexpensive resource for alder or mahogany body blanks is www.mammothguitars.com. I used one of their alder blanks for my first guitar build and I was very happy with the blank and their service.

Also take a look at this list of guitar building resources. You'll find Stewmac on the list. Do a search on their site and you'll see they carry through body guitar necks. This will give you a point of reference for an approach. You'll see that the overall width isn't much greater than the neck itself. The body is comprised of "wings" that are glued to the sides of the neck. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob
Visit your local lumberyard.. ask them if their wood is kiln dried or if they have some dried maple and alder and pick out some nice pieces. Preferably quartersawn for the neck.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Yea, local lumber yard is the way to go. I always find they are friendly and eager to help also. But, I did get the wood for the neck of my first guitar at Home Depot. I used 3 - 3" x 3/4" pieces (2 maple and 1 oak) and laminated them giving me one big sold chunk of wood for my neck blank (3" x 2 1/4"). I went through all of the pieces and selected the best ones I could find. When I strung up the finished product, the neck did not move enough to even have to adjust the truss rod. I think laminated necks are much stronger than 1 piece, but I would use maple for all 3 pieces next time as the oak requires grain filler.
But that oak was sexy. Very sexy.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club