Anyone else ever suffered from the inability to play quickly and if so what did you do to overcome it.

Ive never been a big fan of shredding or solos for that matter but have recently felt the want to be able to be able to solo...im starting to learn scales but a) never know where to go when Ive gone from first string to the last and b) cant seem to play quickly..
a) learn the scales in all positions, not just a few boxes
b) practice
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
before i practice i warm up my hands somehow, like rubbing them together or running them under warm water (i know it sounds goofy but it works for me)

then i start of by practicing scales and chromatic patterns WITH A METRONOME at a comfortable speed. As i get warmed up, i kick up the bpm and just try to push myself a little more every time

EDIT: i guess that was the answer to (b)
Work your ass off. THere is absolutely no substitute for hard work. You don't have to know all the scales, you don't have to know ANY scales, if you develope your ear well enough. Play around, see what notes go together, find your own way. But regardless of whether you go with scales and modes or figuring it out on your own, you're gonna have to bust your ass. That's how you get faster. Shed it, my friend.
thanks dudes
Think your right...im just gonna have to try a little. Sometimes seems though that it comes naturally to most and its something my fingers just arent capable of
Quote by pickup
thanks dudes
Think your right...im just gonna have to try a little. Sometimes seems though that it comes naturally to most and its something my fingers just arent capable of

Trust me, that is NOT the case. NOT NOT NOT. Keep yourself from creating easy ways out like this.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
well, if u find it hard to stretch with your ring finger or something, don't forget your pinky