When I try to improv/compose, I want to get something like Children of Bodom or so, but I always end up creating something more like metallica/pantera... -_-'

Why?? How to change that??
( I like Metallica/Pantera too but I want to compose something like Children of Bodom loll )
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Metallica/Pantera solos are based largely on the pentatonic and blues scales, where as Children of Bodom is a shred frenzy based largely on the modes of certain scales. If you want a more contemporary shred feel, you've got to learn to largely abandon your pentatonic base. It's a lot easier to write in the modern feel than it is to write solos, so begin with riff writing, and keep in mind what technical details are in those riffs, then center your solos around that idea, along with the idea that 32nd notes for the majority of the solo will help largely with the Alexi Laiho vibe =)
well i would recommend just learning a lot of COB songs. pay attention to how their songs are composed. i did that with metallica..... then it took me YEARS to make my playing sound like something else (i love metallica, but theres already a metallica so i wanted to sound like me!)
haha.. 32nd notes!

so true! anyways, thanks dude! I guess it's probably a scale problem yea... and the fact I'm not really fast yet :S (32nd notes is too fast for me... unless you want me to play at like... 40bpm LOL)
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

well i havent been playing for long really (~10 months.. self-taught on top of it...) so I don't know much composing tricks/theory yet... I think I'll just keep going with "Metallica stuff" until I get better...

or I'll compose "CoB stuff" on GP with knowing that I can't play it on my guitar haha

Quote by Resiliance