What percent of the profits does the artist get for selling cds and what goes to the record co?
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
I usually hear about 10%, but it depends on whether or not the label is big. I'm sure Warner Brothers and Sony have a higher commission fee than grilled cheese records.
Nikolas
yup 10% for the whole band

but it depends on your deal obviously you get more of the % if you have a P&D deal cause the record company didn't pay for the recordings
Last edited by Seamanstains at Feb 22, 2007,
That sucks.

EDIT: how about live shows?
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

Quote by d3guns
I get 100% because I am so good, my band name is Hidde

Oh... Ok sure

Quote by Hidde
That sucks.

depends. how much are tickets? how many people came to the show? how many shows did you play on the tour? there are just too many variables to get an idea.
Nikolas
It depends what sort of label you're on. An indie label usually pays more to the artist, but if the band gets too big they can't handle it too well.

Most bands make most of their money from tours.
Quote by Hidde
Oh... Ok sure

I'm serious, we have skills and people throw money at us, and we sell cd's at 30$ each
Quote by Hidde
That sucks.

Depends on the band

If you have a label and are selling records most bands will use a promoter and charge him a flate rate.
5-10% for a major label. Smaller labels usually give like 20% because they wont give you an advance and whatnot usually.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Well my mate released an album a while a go on a label called blues matters. Everytime an album was sold (about £10 (uk)) he got 30p and the other guy got 30p. To put that in american i think thats 60cents each out of every 20 dollar album.

(Give or take that is, im using my head for a rough translation, US isn't exactly twice UK, but its close)

However with more people in the band he'd obviously get less. And on a different label, he'd possibly get more. Deepends. But i figured facts and figures were useful for you.
wow not only is your freinds label charging too much, but the band is getting a really shitty royalty rate, he needs to ditch that label.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Aye to be honest, i think he jumped in too fast miself, he was playing at this small blues festival and someone waved this contract at him, he was so happy he just kinda signed it. LOL. suppose thats sumthin to watch out for to the thread starter eh? but yeah, i just figured i'd put it up n give him sum figures to throw around realy.