today i plug in my sg into my valve junior () for band practice and realize the tubes sound overdriven at a low volume... weird, but i tried my crate which is solid state and it did the same thing on the clean channel.

so it must the the pickups right?

when i flip to the bridge pickup, it's a bit distorted/overdriven but very quiet.
the neck pickup is distorted too, but has normal volume.

i guess i'm gonna take it to the shop, or could i just do something wiht the wiring that's going on?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Feb 22, 2007,
Maybe the wires are coming undone, this happen to one of my guitars yesterday and I had the whole thing rewired today.
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, either with the pickup switch or the pickups. Is the guitar new? I noticed faulty pickup switches on a lot of new guitars. If you have experience soldering, it's a quick and easy fix.
Batteries. Have EMGS in a guitar and they do that when the batteries are giving out.
Quote by georgeazguitar
Maybe the wires are coming undone, this happen to one of my guitars yesterday and I had the whole thing rewired today.

ah, how long did it take? and/or how much did it cost?

Quote by guitarmiester
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, either with the pickup switch or the pickups. Is the guitar new? I noticed faulty pickup switches on a lot of new guitars. If you have experience soldering, it's a quick and easy fix.

yeah it's pretty new, 2005 i think, i got it last summer. and no i have no crafty skills under my belt

Quote by TehJermie
Batteries. Have EMGS in a guitar and they do that when the batteries are giving out.

eh, i'm not too sure, they're pretty new, have only been used for maybe 100 hours.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

today i plug in my sg into my valve junior () for band practice and realize the tubes sound overdriven at a low volume... weird, but i tried my crate which is solid state and it did the same thing on the clean channel.

EMG's will do that to your cleans, same thing happens with a high output passive like the Tone Zone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Do you leave the cable plugged in to your guitar when you aren't playing?

yeah, i know that leaving the amp on while plugged into the guitar drains the batteries, so i usually turn off the amp.

Quote by steven seagull
EMG's will do that to your cleans, same thing happens with a high output passive like the Tone Zone.

nah this is actual distortion that wasn't there before. and i'm not liking it.
i miss my cleans
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
yeah, i know that leaving the amp on while plugged into the guitar drains the batteries, so i usually turn off the amp.

The batteries are drained whenever there is a plug in the guitar, regardless of whether the amp is on. You probably killed the battery.
Quote by UnsignedRecords

There's the problem. Take the plug out of the guitar, that's what drains the battery.
hm, interesting. but the issue here isn't that they don't work at all, it's just that there are no cleans.

only if i strum the strings normally the signal is distorted, not like a ****ed up distorted, just like a little overdrive distortion. and on the distortion section of my amps, they're fine.

i unscrewed a couple things and the signal turned out to be clean for maybe 2 seconds, then it just went back to being a little gainy.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Your battery is dying, not dead, hence the low output and distortion. Just change the damn battery, and if that doesn't work check your connections.
I'll state it again for emphasis:

Change the battery.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
haaa fine fine. the battery among the volume + tone pots? or in the pickups?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
haaa fine fine. the battery among the volume + tone pots? or in the pickups?

If your guitar came with EMGs, it'll have a battery compartment in the back.

If they were installed afterward, the battery is probably in the control compartment.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
If your guitar came with EMGs, it'll have a battery compartment in the back.

If they were installed afterward, the battery is probably in the control compartment.

alright, yeah they were added on, i took off the back cover and saw a 9v battery there, so i'll change that one.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

... and it's alive again. thanks for the explanations, it didn't occur to me that the 9v in the back powered the emgs, and that it dying distorted it.

Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
... and it's alive again. thanks for the explanations, it didn't occur to me that the 9v in the back powered the emgs, and that it dying distorted it.

Moral of the Story:

Unplug your guitars with active pickups when not in use.

Quote by utsapp89
well said
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

haa, i was thinking there was a loose wire or the pickup selector wasn't making enough contact.

i've never opened the back until yesterday, so i didn't know that the battery was there. i thought it'd be somewhere in the pickup compartment.

but when roc elaborated that the since battery was *dying* it would screw up the dynamics. and the light bulb hit me that the battery i was staring at without thinking was the problem.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.