hey, ive herd from most people i talk to that single effects like stompboxes and whatnot are a much better buy, even though it will cost u more, than some outrages multi effects thing. i totaly agree with this but i want to hear some other opinions. Single or Multi?
single if you know hat you want, multi if you don't
The Penguin is Chilly Steve. He's my hero.

I saw SOADrox429 almost piss himself 3-18-07
SIngle is better for sound, but for price, ure going to need alot of it if u want a complex Set. PELLED MULTI
i agree with the previous reply. i have a boss gt-8 but i would much prefer single fx.
My stuff:
ESP LTD KH 202 w/ emg 81's
PEAVEY 5150 II Head
4x12 MESA BOOGIE RECTIFIER CAB

A recent study shows that 92% of all teens have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music.
Single if you know exactly what you want.

Unless you have the money to dish out for something like a BOSS GT-6 or GT-8 (a used GT-6 probably runs about 250-300).

With one of those you can get any BOSS pedal, and then alot more.

Other companies do make very good multi effects pedals similar to that.

But for like....the little digitech $75 multi effects...dont waste your money.
Quote by sluffinator
Yeh this guy knows his ****... just listen to him XD

Quote by ScreamingCheeto
NaivexLi is anything but naive. His post was a pretty good source of info.

Thanks

Quote by MightyAl

Pro tip, kids - girls are NOT impressed by your blood.
Takes longer to save for a bunch of pedals but they're much better, most mulit's sound too digital for me. And if you get as many singles as a multi would have, you'll probably need some kind of feedback eliminator cause that many will cause feedback hell, and a brick to power them all would be helpful
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Single if: you know what effects you are looking for, and specifics (terms like: analog, spring, tape, digital, etc.). You will pay more, but the quality will be much better as well. Multi if: You are new to effects, and don't know so much about them, if you don't really care if you have an analog or digital delay or if slightly computerish sounds really bother you, a cheaper(always better) multi-effect pedal will allow you to explore and become familiar.
hmmm there's some really cheap/crappy single effects... and some of the multi ones are pretty good.

I advise just getting a multi one... a lot more bang for the buck.

That is unless you're planning on gigging , or are a tone freak, or like the simplicity (and the pocket book) of one pedal - one effect.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
You just can't beat analog effects on the whole. Some of the multi effects are getting alot better, but I doubt they'll better analog for a while.

So individuals is my answer.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I've used both, and I have a lot of experience with both. The GT-8 worked very well for me with my HRD rig, but I have recently run into issues running it with my new Mesa. The Mesa's effects loop just doesn't have the ability to feed a good enough signal to the GT-8 for it to track properly. The result is oddball delay rasps and you can pretty much forget about pitch shifting. The GT-8 was a glorious unit, but I now must look for something else to work with the new amp.

Go and try them out...it takes a pretty long time to learn the ins and outs of something like the GT-8, but depending on your needs, the result can be quite pleasing.
Quote by TwoString
I've used both, and I have a lot of experience with both. The GT-8 worked very well for me with my HRD rig, but I have recently run into issues running it with my new Mesa. The Mesa's effects loop just doesn't have the ability to feed a good enough signal to the GT-8 for it to track properly. The result is oddball delay rasps and you can pretty much forget about pitch shifting. The GT-8 was a glorious unit, but I now must look for something else to work with the new amp.

Go and try them out...it takes a pretty long time to learn the ins and outs of something like the GT-8, but depending on your needs, the result can be quite pleasing.

then dont use the fx loop?
singles and/or rackmounts
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
depends on what youre looking to do with them.. if youre into a variety of music with different guitarists who use a wide range of effects, it would be better to start with a multi fx unit, and maybe transition to single effects in the future. however, if you really only need a few effects for the music you play, it would be better to buy individual pedals.
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Single.

You have a lot more control over your tone and if you know what your doing it sounds alot beter.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i used to use a multifx pedal...and now im using only single pedals...i must say that before it was easy to set a bunch of different sound on different patches, but now i find that i have to do the pedal dance lol it takes so much more to get a different sound in the middle of a song now a days, but tone wise, u DO get ALOT more control to ur pedals, plus i think its easier to use than an FX pedal
Quote by Supern00b
then dont use the fx loop?

Chorus or Flanger amplified by the roadsters many gain stages on certain channels sounds horrible, but the same effects in the loop sound great, so I'd rather use the loop.
Quote by TwoString
Chorus or Flanger amplified by the roadsters many gain stages on certain channels sounds horrible, but the same effects in the loop sound great, so I'd rather use the loop.

yea, i no that happens but if it comes to shit sound to no sound, i would go with shite.
Quote by Supern00b
yea, i no that happens but if it comes to shit sound to no sound, i would go with shite.

Well I suppose that's the difference between you and me sir...I'd rather have good sound without the effect because the guitar tone would still carry over without the effect. The guitar piece may not be as fun, and it sure is different, but the notes are still there.
multis are alright to tinker with , they're cool for about a month, you realized how much you got fcked

unless you have no idea what you want, then, they can be used to find out which effects you want.

as far as my opinion goes...
single>multi
Quote by Supern00b
SIngle is better for sound, but for price, ure going to need alot of it if u want a complex Set. PELLED MULTI

It's also spelt you, and you're, also a lot is two words.

So, shush young hypocritical one.

Oh, and yeah single tends to be better than multi.
It depends on alot of factors really. Both have their good and bad side. Will you be gigging regularly, touring or just bedroom/garage playing? I will list a few of the good/bad qualities of each to help you with your decision.

As for single pedals, you get a great sound. Analog effects sound much warmer. You have easier access to switching parameters with pedals as well. A simple turn of the knob gives you what you want. No menus to be scrolling through. But you will have to do the pedal dance unless you get a good programable controler for them. Also, if you want to set up different sounds on the same pedal, you will be bending over mid performance to tweak the knobs unless you have multiple pedals of the same effect. Also you will have either a high battery bill or tons of adapters all over the place.

Multis are good if you are willing to spend the cash to get quality ones, but the majority of the multis on the market have too much of a digital sound. My personal favorite multi is hard to find now. It is the Eventide GTR 4000. That unit gives you TONS of control over every variable of the sound. It also sounds phenomenal when combined with a tube amp. If you look on ebay you can find them occasionally. If you want to go multi, and can handle reading a manual the size of most college text books, I would recommend the GTR 4000. Also the Eventide H300 or H3500 are great pieces of gear. The people who have used them include Mick Mars, Steve Vai, EVH and Brian May. If you go Eventide, be prepared to spend thousands. But they are worth every penny when compared to other multi-effect processors. Unless you are doing or plan to do some pretty heavy gigging/touring, Eventide may be a bit of overkill. But it WILL give you the best possible tone and you can create your own effects with them by editing the waveforms.

Though, if you don't care too much about your amp tone, and just want a variety of sounds including distortion, I would recommend getting a smaller multi. Something like a Boss GT8. They sound good for what they are, and have very cool features. The Pod XT Live is a decent alternative as well. Even the smaller ones like Boss ME-50 are fine, with less options of course.

Hope that helps a bit.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by Dobzilla
It's also spelt you, and you're, also a lot is two words.

So, shush young hypocritical one.

Oh, and yeah single tends to be better than multi.

Well, in this case, the spelling of spellt can be debated, but UK and US debate about everything...
you can use multis for foolin around but sinlges are better for preformance and stuff.
aye aye.. i have multi effects but now im planning on selling it to buy single ones..
for all of those saying singles are better than multi, it would probably help the TS if you state what multi pedal you actually have used. I see a lot of sigs for some of you that list rp-250s or similar low-end units...you simply cannot lump the Boss GT-8 or TC electronics G-Major into the same category as lower end units like the rp-250.
actually not all multi effects are bad
take a look at the rack mounted TC electronics G series, those are pretty good
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
These threads come up all the time and I really feel like multi-effects units get unfairly shat upon. No, the individual effects don't sound as good, and you typically don't have as much control of an individual effect, as you would with a single pedal for each effect. No kidding - something that's designed to just one thing is better at that one thing than something that's designed to do a lot of things. What a revelation.

The thing is, there are a lot of guitar effects out there, some you may use a lot and some you use very little. When you buy a multi-fx unit, you get all of them. Then, if there are ones that you use a lot that you want better tone/control from, you can still buy the individual effect. And you can still use your multi-fx for the infrequent ones.

And don't forget that multi-fx units generally all have amp modeling now, so if your amp is crappy you can at least simulate good ones. If you have a good amp that you like, you're still not locked in to just the tones from that amp. Multi-fx units also generally have speaker simulation, which can be fantastic for those looking to do some recording without spending money on mic set ups. Lots of the multi-fx units can be used as USB interfaces as well, and some even come with recording software.

Of course the quality of the unit is important, just like with anything else. Will a decent multi-fx beat a pedalboard full of top-end pedals? No. But I'll put my Zoom G2.1u up against a pedalboard full of Behringers or the like any day of the week.