Besides an Epiphone SG, what guitar could i get from $300-$400 that sounds like Angus Young's sound?
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008
its not just your guitar, its mostly your amp. If you can get a nice tube amp that can accomplish vintage stylie overdrive you should be good.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
its not just your guitar, its mostly your amp. If you can get a nice tube amp that can accomplish vintage stylie overdrive you should be good.

He's right. You could have an Angus Young signature SG, hell you could even have Angus's guitar, but plug into the wrong amp and you won't get the same tone.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Definitely should be looking more at amps. He uses a 100 watt marshall stack, that's a lot more than your price range though, so go for an amp that can get the good vintage overdriven tones. Tube amps are almost a MUST to get his sound.
Oh no he just divided by zero again...*gets sucked into vortex*

Originally Posted by Sirwinston89
whoa man this is turning into the Dream Theater appreciation thread!!! If only every thread kicked this much ass!

You're welcome
For 300-400? Absolutely nothing, wait until you have enough money to get a good marshall tube amp and you'll have his sound perfectly, I don't even think he uses any effects, just the SG straight into the marshall
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Alot of Angus' sound is in your fingers too. It takes a certain feel to get it "Angus'y".
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by PureIronMaiden
angus is bad.

Says you, but who cares what you said, your not helping the person out ether.

He has signature pickups, but like everybody else said you'll need a nice Antique-y Overdrive to get Angus's sound.
As everyone has said, it's more your amp.

However, the Crate Palomino 15 is about 400, give or take.

It's recieved very good reviews by and large, with many commenting on it's classic rock overdrive.

I suggest you look into it.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Quote by Kurapica
Alot of Angus' sound is in your fingers too. It takes a certain feel to get it "Angus'y".
It involves your fingers? I don't believe it.

As many have stated, it's mostly in your amp.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by Dom5412
As everyone has said, it's more your amp.

However, the Crate Palomino 15 is about 400, give or take.

It's recieved very good reviews by and large, with many commenting on it's classic rock overdrive.

I suggest you look into it.

+48791851078985928760926797092796092629889529 cubed

I tried one out at guitar center through a Highway one strat and a Les paul studio and i was in heavenly bliss. I would definably look in that direction. Here i will give you a link

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V16-Palomino-15W-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487826
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Arlabester
i can get a good AC/DC tone out of my AXS32 to straight thru my blues junior.

Yes but the palomino shrugs fear into the blues junior
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by SublimeGuitar
Yes but the palomino shrugs fear into the blues junior

no.

the palomino is basically a higher gain copy of the blues junior.

fender>>>>>>>>>>>>>crate
I hope they're paying you for all the Fender whoring you do.
It's true, this stuff I make up.
~Dom~
Quote by Arlabester
no.

the palomino is basically a higher gain copy of the blues junior.

fender>>>>>>>>>>>>>crate

Last time i checked they were the same price, plus you get a much higher gain and much better tone controls, so you are telling me you would not take the palomino?
Gear:

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Dom5412
I hope they're paying you for all the Fender whoring you do.

lol real funny. i am a fender hoar though.

^i said gain not price. its a copy of it though.
I still say little gain and crank that bitch.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Kurapica

Quit trying to act like you know what your talking about.
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
Quote by matx33
Definitely should be looking more at amps. He uses a 100 watt marshall stack, that's a lot more than your price range though, so go for an amp that can get the good vintage overdriven tones. Tube amps are almost a MUST to get his sound.

dont kill me over this, but i heard he had a 10,000 watt preamp he was playing thru to power all the cabinets, and it was just a clean sound coming thru and the distortion was all the speakers
Quote by bluesychris
Now You Sir have one hell of a guitar and look more alive and look to have more stage presence than anyone else I've seen on this forum
No, it was a 100,000-watt preamp and the distortion came from his sphincter.
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
yeah most of it is your amp but if you do get the epiphone sg g-400 i would suggest getting the angus young sig series humbucking pickup its about $120.00 I got it and it has that same tone angus has but lke i said and the people above me you have to have the right amp to go with it.
you can get a decent sound with pretty much any humbuckers and an inexpensive tube amp. Unless your planning on playing alot of huge show anytime soon, i dont recommend getting a marshall or changeing pickups.
and to they guy that doesnt beleive tone comes from the fingers, your wrong, way way wrong. thats why no one ever sounds EXACTLY like someone else.
yeah idk there is probaly a hundred things you could do, get, or change to sound like angus but your never going to sound Exactly like him it does depend on what gear you have but its also how you play
just give the guitar you buy to me ... it will sound like angus (my name is angus lol)

neway you need a marshall dont let arlabester talk you into stuff you need since he thinks his blues junior is gr8 for metal
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name