I just started playing electric guitar, and I tried to make up for my small hands by getting a guitar with a thin neck. The problem is, that when I try to play power chords, it's hard for me to reach the 5th and 6th strings. I can reach by bringing my wrist up and away from me, but I'm wondering if this is horrible technique. I asked a couple friends about it, who weren't really sure. My thumb goes a little bit onto the bottom of the neck, instead of the sides, but it's not that much. Should I try to find another way to play these chords? If I should, could anyone who had this problem give me some advice on how they dealt with it?
When i had that problem i just tried the best i could to play it and gradually grew into it.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
I'm not really sure about it myself, but I know that on youtube there are a lot of videos that could probaly help you and show you the proper method if you are doing anything wrong. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Playing it until you get the feel of it is probably about the only thing you can do. It's not like you can finger extensions or anything. If you can, then that's really creepy...
Yup, that would defenitely be creepy. So it wouldn't be creating a bad habit, or one that would be hard to break if I did this in the meantime?
For power chords you should really have your thumb at the back of the neck, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com