So yeah I'm writing a bass and vocal only song. I've tried using minor and major keys but minor is a little too dark and major too bright. Any suggestions for a hearwarming ish sound?
Bass and vocals? That's kind of weird.... But if you're in a minor or major key, you don't necessarily need to use just major or minor chords. I'd go major, but throw in some minor chords to spice it up.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
ok theres a song by the Velvet Underground called After Hours, RHCP covers it but i prefer the original, easy nice sounding romantic chord progression

also try Fmaj/Dm/Fmaj/Dm/A#maj, A#maj/Cmaj - wallop the Cmaj once and stop, then rinse and repeat
I'm a fan of lydian myself. You can make it sound like anything.
Dorian is a little "brighter" than aeolian, and has a very jazzy and sophisticated sound to it. You might try either of those.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I tried lydian, the #4 was a little different for me, sophisticated like you said is a good description. I've yet to try dorian but I will now, also yeah the major+minor here and there worked pretty well.
Quote by musiclover2399
I tried lydian, the #4 was a little different for me, sophisticated like you said is a good description. I've yet to try dorian but I will now, also yeah the major+minor here and there worked pretty well.

If you want to try a different scale, try Ionian #5. It's a mode of the harmonic minor scale. It sounds a bit odd at first, but it has a very pretty sound to it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by musiclover2399
Ionian #5? So just a major scale with a sharp 5th?

Yes.
i'd go dorian, like that one guy said, or phrygian for something darker or spanish
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
definately go for dorian, because IMO you can make it sound major, and latin sounding, or you can make it sound minor.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

try playing different forms of D, try Dmaj/ D(EXX0222e)/D7, i usually arpegiate this or strum it slow and heavily once before goin to the next chord...
Jazzy M7 chords. Then dorian for melodies/solos etc
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account