In my upcoming School of Rock show I'm going to be singing "Southern man" by neil young. I'm having trouble getting that weird sound he has when he sings... I don't know how to describe it, it's like, airy, but with a sharp edge?

Like an out of phase single coil? lol

Do any of you UGer's listen to Neil Young? And could you give me some tips on how to sound like him? (How close to the mic, loud or soft, drink some scotch, etc)

edit: Sorry, I didn't know where to put this, since there isn't a singing forum...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Neil is god. I firmly beleive that. Anyway put kinda like a twang on your voice. I can't describe it.
The Set-Up

Gibson Les Paul/Fender MIA Deluxe Strat --> MXR Super comp --> Boss DD-3 --> Dunlop Crybaby --> Need an amp, wanna sell me one?
Quote by Sid Vicouis
i listen to neil young, he is fucking awesome. which part do you mean exactly?

the whole song...

That's it led zep, he has like, a twang...

Should I try to sing nasally?

Or would that be bad.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall

hit yourself in the balls a few times till your voice is as high as his singing one, then sing with all the feeling you would have if your puppy just got tazed
Neil is my favorite "American" artist (I know he's from Canada). I know in that song he sings the chorus with some other guy, probably Danny Whitten from Crazy Horse. But if you're talking about the verses I'm not sure. It sounds kind of overdirven or something. It also sounds like he might be playing a guitar line along with the vocal line at the same time. I;m not listening to it right now so I can't be positive. good luck
Keep the change, pimps don't jangle
Quote by SWLABR
Neil is my favorite "American" artist (I know he's from Canada). I know in that song he sings the chorus with some other guy, probably Danny Whitten from Crazy Horse. But if you're talking about the verses I'm not sure. It sounds kind of overdirven or something. It also sounds like he might be playing a guitar line along with the vocal line at the same time. I;m not listening to it right now so I can't be positive. good luck

How would I get an overdriven sound?

Screaming into the mike but keeping the PA down?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall