i feel like a such a noob asking this but i was just curious. i usually use speaker amps so i dont really deal with tubes much but i was wondering... to get sound from a tube amp, do you need a cab to run it through or can you get sound just from the head? my friend told me you did but i wasnt sure. i really dont even know why im asking. i guess i'm just curious. thanks in advance.
If its a head then yes you need a cab, if its a combo then no you do not.
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Avatar 2x12

one tid bit of advice, make sure especially if its valve state that you got speakers plugged into the back. if not, mr output transformer go boom. wether its a cab or combo,
so long as you have speakers conected. the head cannot make any sound itself, other then when its sizzling.
haha, i didn't know this, and i was about to buy a head pretty soon, good thing i know now, lol