Page 1 of 2
I play in an Indie/Rock band... Umm best bands to compare it to that guitar enthusiasts would hear is.. Red Hot Chili Peppers or I dunno...

I know NOTHING about pickups, except that I have 3 single coils in my guitar right now.

I want a more solid clean tone, but still be able to crank a good distortion, NOT metal tone though... And to get rid of that really fuzzy sound.. but what pickups would be best? Humbuckers, EMG's, Whatever.

I dont care how much they are, well.. Less than $150 would be the best

Thanks alot!

-Chris
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
*Suggests for new guitar? PRS?
*New pickups as well? HumBuckers?
I'd say your best bet would be to get some sort of humbucker for the bridge, and keep single coils for the mid and neck. For my Strat, I have an EMG (passive unfortunately) in the bridge, a Fender Vintage Noiseless single coil in the mid, and a Seymour-Duncan Hot Rails in the neck, and I can get quite a wide range of tones out of it.
I just read up a bit, and I read single coils get a good clean tone and buckers kill that annoying hum but are more for distortion.. but is there a versatile single coil?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
single coil sized humbuckers might work.

hot/cool rails?

jb jr?

(both seymour duncan)

I know dimarzo makes some too.

btw, proper shielding goes a long way. Look into it.
I dunno what hot/cool rails are, or JB JR's... Im sorry, Im a total pickup newb =(

I need some guidance

If you feel that back & forth foruming is an inconvenience, PLEASE IM me on AIM @

I am not from GP
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
I think Ive decided to go with the Fender Noiseless in mid and probably the Seymour Cool...

Whats the next best pickup to get?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
The Cool rails in the neck? Sounds good.

The JB Jr. would work well in the bridge. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stratsdescr.shtml#JBJrforStrat

EDIT: The Parallel Axis Stack would also work well in the bridge too. http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/stratsdescr.shtml#TheParallelAxisStackforStrat

You might also want to look at coil splitting for the neck and bridge pickups. Coil splitting will give you a single coil tone. http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/HSH_1v_1t_5w_pushpull.html
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 22, 2007,
Try the DiMarzio Virtual Vintage series. Beefier than regular SCs but keeps the vintage tone. They're not as buzzy as regular SCs and just as quiet as if not quieter than the Fender Noiseless or SCNs. It's blasphemy to put rails or buckers on a sweet Strat ... so I heard. The DM VVs won't disappoint.

Good Luck!

I just installed some GFS Premium Alnico II pickups in my Strat and it sounds great. They have a super vintage vibe and sound really warm and clear when overdriven.
^ Go GFS. The $15 set kicks ass as well.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Does the Paralell Axis stack work only if you USE whammy?

And would I have to toggle pickups with the switch AS I switch from clean to distort and vice versa?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
i just installed a set of GFS Premium Vintage single coils on my strat, and i get great bluesy tones, and get get a great john fru tone th rough my friends blues junior
i recommend em
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Oh awesome, thanks everyone so far. But say I wanted a clean tone, I know I could get one with my other pickups, but would I have to keep toggling with my little switch, the pickup toggler or whatever. Keep in mind how much of a noob I am with pickups, so dont pwn me too bad. Hehe

But say Im on my cool on distortion, and then I want to switch to clean, so I would flip the toggle switch to tha middle, and then hit my floor selector for clean, correct?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
Correct.

As far as what pickups to get, it really depends if you love the true single coil tone. Stacked humbuckers (which is what the JB Jr, Hot Rails and all that really are) can come close (or not close at all, depending), but will never get that true single coil chime. Also, depending on the versatility of the pickup, you may be able to get good cleans and good distortion from the same pickup, so you may not have to change.

BTW, given the type of music you like to play, I think you wasted money on the wrong amp. There a Boogie amps that are much better suited for the kind of tone you're looking for than the Dual Rectos, such as the Stiletto, the Mark series, or the Lone Star, or Marshalls such as the JCM800 or JCM900.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Feb 24, 2007,
Yeah, I read that single coils give an awesome clean tone, which I'm really after, but it's not a priority, I want to be able to switch between a good distortion and then warm clean

I think Ill just put the fender single noiseless in the middle, leave the issue neck pickup and put the rail in bridge... Sound good?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
Quote by TheSultryAffair
Yeah, I read that single coils give an awesome clean tone, which I'm really after, but it's not a priority, I want to be able to switch between a good distortion and then warm clean

I think Ill just put the fender single noiseless in the middle, leave the issue neck pickup and put the rail in bridge... Sound good?

To be honest, if your only getting 2 pickups my priority would be neck and bridge.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
If you want that really great, bright, clean tone then you have to have true single coil pickups. If you want to get rid of the fizz then you have to have humcanceling pickups. Humcanceling single coils don't sound bright and alive like real single coil pickups. I can think of a couple options for you.

1) Switch to a H,S,S configuration. This will give you the good distortion without fizz from your bridge, and you will get good cleans from your neck and bridge. If you get a PAF for the bridge that will give you a good classic rock sound.

2) Get overwound single coil pickups in the bridge and middle position. This will make it so you still have a strong fizz free tone in the 2nd position and a slightly thinner but still noise free tone from your 4th position. Have a standard output for your neck position and that will give you the warm mellow cleans that most people are after.
Not taking any online orders.
Whats a PAF?

And can you tell me which positions are which? Is the neck position #1 or is the bridge #1
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
PAF means Patent Applied For. It's a type of pick-up made by Gibson and I think DiMarzio as well.
High as tits
Quote by TheSultryAffair
Whats a PAF?

And can you tell me which positions are which? Is the neck position #1 or is the bridge #1

PAF is pattent applied for. They were 1st humbuckers ever made. Originally PAF's had large alnico 2 magnets and slugs in both coils and no potting and they have a nickel cover. Nearly all of the specs for the PAF changed from day to day. Today PAF's are thought of as humbuckers with polls on one side and slugs on the other with an alnico 5 magnet. The coils are wound to a combined total of 7.5K to 8K and may or may not be potted and they may or may not have a cover. SD, DM, and Gibson all have PAF's and they sound about the same but there are subtle differences like the type of potting, covers, the way the hookup wires are connected... but when all is said and done, a PAF is your classic humbucker tone.

1st position is bridge, 2nd is bridge and middle, 3rd is middle, 4th is middle and neck, 5th is neck.
Not taking any online orders.
go for a red lace sensor in the bridge, best single coil i have ever heard in the bridge positon
So we all can agree that a good single coil would be best for indie/pop rock/rock? A good solid noiseless single in middle and what in bridge, I can just be in position 2 alot... Would a rail in bridge go good?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
Quote by Mike3066
go for a red lace sensor in the bridge, best single coil i have ever heard in the bridge positon

I hardly recommend Lace Sensors but in this case, I agree that the Red would be close to ideal, specifically if you want to stay closer to the SC vintage sound and have the option 2 that CorduroyEW posted above. I think the hot (for a SC) Red Lace is ideal (for the Bridge) if you wanted to stay with the SSS config. Good Luck!

Is a lace sensor a brand or does it actually do something specific?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
So I would like everyone to let me know if

BRIDGE: Red Lace

Mid: Fender Noiseless

Neck: Cool Rails

sounds good at all? And if not, let me know why or why not. Thanks!
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
as you can probably guess from beneath my name i am a little biased, i love my red lace sensor, so obviously i think thats a great choice

i personally have never used ne of the other pickups listed, other than to say a lot of people on here don't like the "noiseless" type pickups (not just the brand u mentioned) claiming them to have no tone, if you are after a true single coil sound like that of the RHCP's you may want to try 57/62 fender reiusse pickups in the neck and mid (something which i have toyed with), as they seem to get good write ups on harmony central as a good improvement on stock but retaining single coil sound and are not that pricey at all (£89 for a new set - in the U.K that is), although having said that Frusciante's "tone" would be almost impossible to replicate given his 12ft odd pedal board. But really it all depends how much you intend on spending and i hate to sound like a know it all, but a lot of your "sound" comes from you and ur amp so you need a good amp to make the most of any pickup, keep that in mind.

also you could "shield" the control cavity in ur guitar, something i havn't done but believe it reduces outside interference (and therefore noise) so try looking into that as well without necersarily just going for "noiseless" pups

also, get one of the "new old stock" as mentioned above, they look so much better with it saying "Fender Lace Sensor" rather than just "Lace Sensor" IMO

regards

Mike.
Last edited by Mike3066 at Feb 25, 2007,
sounds good

i was thinking to myself that the cool rails had a higher output than the red lace but i checked up and was wrong.

tell us how it sounds should you go ahead with it.

in the thread on how to make a girl uncomfortable:

Quote by Angels Fighter
i saw this in another thread but it would work

Blow your load in your hand and slap the girl in the face while yelling "spiderman"

^
Will the lace sensors give me a wierd hum to it? Sorry im a bit out of it I just played a show and the fog machine went off in my face so Hehe

I actually dont care about the hum so much anymore, Just wicked tone, im a newb I know so any and all help is VERY appreciated
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
^ Not much. I had 2 Golds installed in a Strat and noticed a bit of a difference, but nothing substantial. Nothing will help a guitar equipped with single coils more than proper shielding, which pretty much no mass-produced guitar comes with.
Hi, I'm Peter
I reckon you need to look in your sig to see the root of your clean woes...maybe try wiring your pickups in parallel, that usually gives you a drop in output and a slightly brighter tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What does "proper shielding" mean? Is it part of the pickups or does it have to do with the body of the guitar?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
Quote by forsaknazrael
Go to guitarnuts.com, they have a guide on how to do it, and what it is.

+1. More specifically, this site. If your guitar isn't routed for a humbucker in the bridge, I'd put a Hot Rails in the bridge, as the cleans aren't as important in that position.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ohhh So basically you coat the inside of the cavities and "shield" the pickgaurd?

Niceeeeeeee :]

Thanks alot

So if the shielding works, I wouldn't really NEED new pickups?
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
Page 1 of 2