All right, so here's the deal; I bought a Carvin MTS about a month and a half ago and it's a really great amp, but I've decided that the voicing and feel of it just isn't for me. It seems like it doesn't really want to be a metal amp and is just kind of too laid-back in general ( ) So in any case, I've decided to get myself a new amp.

At this point I've pretty much decided on an ENGL of some sort, though I guess I might still change my mind. The thing is, I was planning to save up for a couple of months and then get myself a Powerball, but I've found that I would be able to afford a Fireball basically as soon as I sold my Carvin MTS on eBay. For those of you don't know, the Powerball is a 4-channel amp with more features than the Fireball, which is an extremely basic 2-channel amp, with one EQ and one gain control for both channels. It wouldn't be a whole lot less features than my MTS, though, which has two channels but it's own 3-band EQ for the clean channel.

I like a lot of versatility, but in the end I'm really not going to need it. For the most part, all I need is brutal metal tone and pretty good cleans (or better). I do use crunch, but for that I just turn down my guitars volume, and for the most part as long as the gain goes low enough to be considered rock, it's fine for me. The four channels of the Powerball would be nice, but I figure I could use an OD pedal for crunch sounds with the clean channel, and use it for boosting the Distortion channel for leads, which is what I'd use channels 2 and 4 for on the PB. I also do have a 7-band EQ that I could use whenever I switched to cleans though, or I could use it for leads.

So basically; do you think it's a good idea to pick up the FB now, or should I just save up for the PB? The thing is, though, that if I need more than the FB has, I can always just resell for what I paid and get the PB when I would have, but I should be much happier in the meantime. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 22, 2007,
If you ask me, YOu just need a decent clean channel. You can build off that with pedals. I have a DSL and i use the clean channel mostly. The crunch channel i use for rock tones if i need them but my metal muff gives me all the gain i need over the clean channel.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
ahh, sorry to hear that didn't work out for you. Personally, unless you played the fireball, and absolutely loved it, I wouldn't compromise now. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Fireball, but no sense getting that close and then settling. The powerball is worth saving for man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
ahh, sorry to hear that didn't work out for you. Personally, unless you played the fireball, and absolutely loved it, I wouldn't compromise now. Not saying there is anything wrong with the Fireball, but no sense getting that close and then settling. The powerball is worth saving for man.

Wise words from a wise man.
Quote by Erock503

Yah, the fireball Is Not a dumbed down Powerball, it is a stripped Savage...
either way, the powerball is totally the way to go
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Aw, and I'd almost convinced myself to get a Fireball ...

I guess I know the Powerball will be better and I'll be happier with it and everything, but as I've said, I'm pretty impatient; when I decide to get something, I want to get it as soon as possible. I figure that if I decide to get the PB later I can always sell the Fireball and go ahead and get one. I am fairly happy with the MTS at the moment though, it's just not really what I'm looking for.
Where in MN do you live. I was traveling up north past Duluth (im from st paul) a couple months ago and stopped at a guitar shop in Duluth. They sell powerballs and other engls there. I cant remember the store off the top of my head though. As for anything else Engl in the Metro area, your kinda screwed.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by drjimuk
Why buy something you know you'll want to sell soon? That's kinda like throwing away money surely?
Well not really, since used the value should stay basically exactly the same (used), and if I decide that I don't really need the features of the PowerBall and I'm happy with the Fireball, that's like $500 in my pocket (The FB is $1000 used and the Powerball is $1500)

I live way down in South eastern MN, south of Rochester; I think I've only been to Duluth like once in my life But it's cool they have that, I'll see if I can manage to get up there
Well, I'd love to try them out, but southeastern Minnesota isn't exactly a happening place in the German amp market Nobody remotely close to me that I know of deals them, though I'm going to see if I can get to the shop in Duluth that Joining heads was talking about.

And thanks, I think it's awesome too
Quote by De Amazing Blob
Well not really, since used the value should stay basically exactly the same (used), and if I decide that I don't really need the features of the PowerBall and I'm happy with the Fireball, that's like $500 in my pocket (The FB is $1000 used and the Powerball is $1500)

I live way down in South eastern MN, south of Rochester; I think I've only been to Duluth like once in my life But it's cool they have that, I'll see if I can manage to get up there

Hey! I live in South eastern Minnesota too! LaCrescent, MN.
Are you near LaCrosse (WI) because Dave's guitar and SSE music has a lot of great amps.
SSE has more metal amps and dave's has more vintage amps (but a better guitar selection).
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Quote by zackprs
Hey! I live in South eastern Minnesota too! LaCrescent, MN.
Are you near LaCrosse (WI) because Dave's guitar and SSE music has a lot of great amps.
SSE has more metal amps and dave's has more vintage amps (but a better guitar selection).
Cool, I live in Chatfield; most people who don't live here haven't heard of it, but it's about 25 miles south of Rochester. But SSE is in LaCrosse? I think that's like an hour away, have you seen any ENGLs there? I have heard of Dave's Guitars, never been there though
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 23, 2007,
SSE carries a lot of mesa's. I baught my mesa from them. Consider Mesa's, they are great amps. Dave's has great amps but is geared more towards the vintage market (the most fender tube amps I've ever seen). Check out the Dave's guitar website:
Dave's guitar

You really have to check out Dave's collection, he has over 300 guitars in his personal collection (Think high end PRS guitars, not squires or anything like that). It's incredible. The staff at dave's is great and they are very helpful.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
If you live in MN and want to see a real guitar shop. Make your way to Willies Vintage Guitars in Saint Paul. They dont have your engls but they are a Bogner dealer (Ubers bitch!), along with guitars costing $50,000 and up. Ive seen old strats there for over $100000
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
^Sounds cool, I'll see if I can get there, I've been wanting to try an Uber . Kind of weird that they have them at a vintage shop though
Last edited by De Amazing Blob at Feb 25, 2007,
Yeah, a local band, Epicurian uses an Uber and a powerball, they sound great.
Another great Twin cities guitar store would be American Guitar Botique. They have a lot of great amps.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer