So this thing came up in my AVG virus scan called shell32.dll, found in C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll. I searched up about it and I found out shell32.dll is "a library which contains Windows Shell API functions, which are used when opening web pages and files." Under result\infection the only option is change. And then when the scan is over it doesn't come up with any viruses. So basically I wanna know why shell32.dll came up in my AVG virus scan?! Any help?
Quote by Eladamri
No idea about your problem, but don't listen to this n00b.

I tried AVG before, and I can say it did not do a single thing to make my computer safer. On the odd chance that it DID catch something that was threatening, it couldn't do anything about it, and they all just kept infecting my computer.

At least try to find a trial of something better.

No idea why sys32. would ever come up in a virus scan...

EDIT: Well, I though shell32 was a folder, it isn't. Did you by any chance download a patch that lets you change Windows themes? Because AVG might have though it was threatening...
Last edited by Dirge Humani at Feb 22, 2007,
Not system32, shell32. Anyway, my mate uses AVG and his computers fine. Heh, maybe your version of AVG was defective? I dunno. But I had some crappy antivirus thing, and it detected these 2 trojans, but couldn't do anything about them. So I downloaded AVG, and that contained one of them, but the other one was fuckin embedded in my computer. So we had to reformat it.
I've got the same problem with the shell32 thing. I just ignore it, works fine, and nothings exploded yet. Also, i've got this pop-up like thing that comes up everytime i start up the comp on my account and it says system32/tgr or something...i dunno reminds me of tiger, but that comes and i just dropkick and click ok. nothings exploded yet, so im doin fine.
Quote by heavyairship
dying hurts

empty sig
i got rid of avg cause it took way to friggin long to scan my computer... my mcafee and norton only took like 2 hours at the most avg took like 6 hours
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Cool. Well, I shouldn't worry too much. I'm not sure if my computer's going slower sonce I got that thing, or if it's just a piece of crap. Maybe I'm just paranoid. My computer only has 256 megs of ram. :/
Quote by C.C. Deville
i got rid of avg cause it took way to friggin long to scan my computer... my mcafee and norton only took like 2 hours at the most avg took like 6 hours

^.^ Love your avatar. Anyway... what was I gonna say... oh right. My AVG only takes about 1 hour to finish scanning my coputer, with about 5,000 files. Or was that 50,000. I forget.
i love my avatar too lol and i have ad aware and that only take like 10 minutes lol
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
DO NOT DELETE THAT IS PART OF YOUR OS

IF YOU HAVE DELETED IT YOU CAN NOT READ THIS

IF YOU SOME HOW ARE YOU HAVE TO REINSTALL YOUR OS

ANYTHING WITH 32 IN IT IS AN IMPORTANT PART OF THE OS KERNAL32 BEING THE MOST IMPORTANT

also you can specifiey to not search the AVG or certain files in your norton and mcaffe
Quote by LeoKhenir
I love you, Killer Bacon.
Shell32 is a vital system file contains shitload of icons, functions for navigating the file system and such.
It could be that it got infected with an actual virus (the old school virii would often times append themselves to a system file).
Generally most Windows Service packs update this file
Quote by Dirge Humani
Because I don't like AVG. Try to get McAfee or Norton.

Norton?

'hello there, i'm just going to eat away at your memory doing meaningless things that i never asked you to do'

no thanks.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Uninstall AVG and try a different antivirus temporarily. I reccomend Antivir. If it also detects something in shell32.dll, search for a virus-free copy of the file and overwrite it (most likely you'll have to do this from ms-dos), unless the antivirus fixes the problem ittself.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
shel32.dll has all icon, text and menus for Windows.
Every inside out badger has a silver lining.
Trend Micro PC-Cillin FTW
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
ok.. So then your shell32 is infected with virus. Makes sense?

Maybe not, but just a thought, but don't tell avg not to check system 32 folders because that would be rediculous as most viruses go into that folder.
Quote by CodeMonk
Shell32 is a vital system file contains shitload of icons, functions for navigating the file system and such.
It could be that it got infected with an actual virus (the old school virii would often times append themselves to a system file).
Generally most Windows Service packs update this file

What this guy said.