Ive been working on lead alot latley, and ive gotten to the point where my rhythm playing is terrible. Im not saying im having trouble with keeping time or anything like that. I'm having trouble varying my rhythms. I've been working on mostly blues and rock n roll (i say that meaning the older stuff). I want to avoid using too many powerchords the best i can, ive been working with the basic chords, and the strumming, but it all just sounds too "the same." So basically, im stuck in a rut with my rhythm playing, what do i do?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
What the people need
Is a way to make ’em smile
It ain’t so hard to do if you know how
Gotta get a message
Get it on through
Oh now mama, don’t you ask me why
Oh, oh, listen to the music
All the time
Learn your barre chords (unless you already have) and work on adding some muting to your strumming (lifting your fingers a bit but still strumming to get a percussive "whack-a-whack-a" type sound) to really liven things up.
yea, seems like i do the muting too much, its so hard for me to get variation in my sound... i used to be great at rhythm guitar, so i moved on to trying to get good at lead, and i got sloppy with rhythm....
I still need some help here... sorry for the double post, Bump. But yea, any tips for this stuff? I already do the percussive strumming, im just having trouble getting different sounds, ive been listening to a wide range of music, i just dont know what to do...
add rythm strokes (or muted strings but with out actual notes)

try different tempos, feels and time signatures

like 3/4 : beat beat triplet, beat triplet beat, triplet beat beat, triplet beat beat

and etc, just experiment really, dont just go up and down on 8th notes in 4/4 time

and instead of just playing a normal barrechord, play an add 9 or a 7th (learn some theory, specifically harmony)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Listen to a guy like Robben Ford - he does some nice inversion of Dominant 7 chords.

Try muting strings with your left hand and strum more freely with your right hand.

My right hand swings up and down a lot when I play, and I mute strings with my left hand.
Try playing simple patterns, hitting all of the strings, muting non used strings, practice chords your unfimiliar with.

-5-                
-5-                 
-5-                 
---                  
---                 
-5-                 

-3-
-5-
---
-5-
-3-
---

-5-
-5-
---
---
-5-
---

those are just some chords that go along with g major scale
now practice alt strumming

----5-5---5--------3---------5----3
----5-5---5--------5---------5----5
-----------------------------------
-------------------5--------------5
--------------3-3--3-----------3--3
--5-----5-----------------5--------

practice that without a pick
remember each finger alternates-pretty tough in beggining
thumb=on thick e string index=on a other three= rest of strings

if u need more pattern practice tell me

oh and one last thing: this helps cordination: tap with foot on quarter notes, speak out eight notes
Listening to other music is good for ideas but practicing as many rhythm patterns in different styles is gonna up your comp discipline. I would recommend jazz and country. They have great strum patterns that go well with rock & blues. If you really want a challenge, try some bossa nova stuff.
I was learning chords and I told my friend I was having troubles playing certain ones because I had to stretch my fingers so much. He told me not to worry because "Nobody uses those chords." So I decided when I get better I'm gonna write a song with chords that nobody uses and hopfuly make it sound good. You could do that...
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.