Page 1 of 2
I have a few guitars, pretty standard looking, and I want something that looks, I don't know how to put this, metal I guess. With a decent price range and sounds and plays pretty good. You guys know of any?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
ibanez iceman
jackson kelly
washburn dimebag guitars
gibson or esp explorers

thats all i know
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Oh, haha I mean body type as in how it looks.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

Jackson Kelly! LTD EX-400BD, most Explorer shaped guitars, look and plays awesome. Maybe even a V of some sort.
Explorer is my favourite
followed by a Mockingbird shape
then an Iceman
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Yeah, I'm liking the explorer. Is this a good guitar?Explorer Or is their much of a difference between the LTD EX-50?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Jackson Rhoads, the new Ibanez Xiphos
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by The Casualty
Jackson Kelly! LTD EX-400BD, most Explorer shaped guitars, look and plays awesome. Maybe even a V of some sort.

(by all means i hate metal but will help this guy out) v's are nice but uncomfortable when sitting down, id stick with gibson or epiphone, cause if you grow sick of metal you can use it for normal rock and not look like an idiot. EX: playing something like pearljam with a BC rich would make you seem a bit odd, but with an explorer its different.
The Moser V has always looked amazing to me, but I don't see how looks should factor into your guitar playing...
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
BC Rich
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Yeah Jin, thats deff true. id say stay away from epiphones and low end BC Rich and ltd. It say go with a Jackson KVX10 or and RR series. Jacksons pwn
Well, I also need a guitar that plays well. Looks aren't the most important, but on stage I want something that looks decent and plays well. And I've heard a lot about the ESP Explorers. I've been looking on and off for some time now on them. Is the the LTD EX 400 worth it? Or would it be okay if I went with the LTD EX 260 and upgraded the pick ups?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

The only metal style guitar I'd consider playing would be an Ibanez Iceman. Nice guitars.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
DO NOT GET A BCRICH.

Look at ESP guitars. Their F series looks pretty metal. AX looks metal too. Shit, most ESP guitars look metal.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
I'm looking at this guitar Here is it worth it?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

I'd get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBANEZ-DESTROYER-II-GUITAR-mahogany-AAA-flame-maple-81_W0QQitemZ170082546803QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's heavy, big and pointy and has a violent-sounding name. Plus, Phil Collen of Def Leppard played one and who's more metal than Def Leppard?
PRS Dave Navarro signature/Burny RLC-70 - Sonuus Wahoo wah/filter - Vox ToneLabLE - Boss DD-5 - Zoom MS-50G - Modded Ampeg VT-22 100-watt tube head or Peavey VK100 100-watt tube head (6L6GC's in both) - Soldano 4X12 cab w/Eminence Legends.
the problem you face with 'metal' looking guitars is that most companys make them for the kids that are starting out guitar and want the coolest looking without knowing f uck all about the wood, tone etc (im not saying that this is you btw) so they make them as cheap as possible with lets be honest, shit woods (usually agathis) and crappy pups too. If they come with EMG's its usually to mask the aweful tone of the wood.

If you are looking for a metal looking guitar, your gonna have to spend money! Most LTD's and Bcriches are made of agathis or similar type wood (not all, but most) and some may say agathis aint too bad, but compared to mahagony its like shit on a stick!

My advice to you is to really check a guitar out research it fully on the internet and then try it out in the shop both sitting and standing (alot of these metal shaped guitars are badly weighted and the headstock drops terribly) at the end of the day, as with most guitar products if it seems too much to be true....it usually is!

Ask at the shop what wood it is, the type of pups (if you dont already know this is) and make sure its the guitar you want, alot of shops will try and flog you something different thats more expensive (do listen to what they say though just not if theyre trying to flog you a guitar costing like $1000000000000000000.00) lol

Try some of the ibanez super-strats....ok they may be the icon of 80's hair metal, but theyre fookin awesome! Try the S-series and the RG series, maybe others too!Also the Washburn X50 PRO FE (i think thats its name)but bang for buck this guitar is awesome! Theyre not particularly metal looking but great metal guitars!

Dont get into the hype of just buying it willie nillie, really research it and take on board what these people ^^^^upthere say, because you never know through all the profanities and egos you may-and probably will find some useful advice!

Ok, sorry if iv just babbled, but hope this was of some use.

peace out

Tobz
Gibson SG (Heavily modded)
Fender USA Strat
Hohner 12 String-uber rare

Fender Silverface Twin

EHX Big Muff
Digitech badmonkey overdrive
Boss DS-1
Blackstar Distortion X
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Delay
Digitech Whammy
Last edited by tobythechimp at Feb 23, 2007,
What you could do is get a les paul shaped guitar and cut a chunk out of the back so you end up with a les paul/ warlock style guitar.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
If you want value for money, go Ibanez. They look a bit metal and a bit classic, but for the price of a Mexican Strat you get a product that you'll never want to sell as long as you end up upgrading the pups and the bridge at some point.
I don't believe I'm jumping the gun here; I'm so pleased with my RG350EX, especially with some upgraded bits, that I would no longer even consider selling it to raise funds for a better guitar. Even with the stock bits, it's a great home guitar with a nice metal tone.
i cant believe no-one (i think) has said Dean yet. the Razorback, Razorback V, the ML, Z, V all look pretty metal IMO.
And LP?

I play metal and I have Ibanez, but I like Les Paul. Nice shape for me.

But LP isn't classic shape for metal?
Ibanez RG170R (bridge pickup V8)
Laney VH100R amp
Laney GS412P box
============================
I am sorry, my english is not good.
I'd also say the Gibson Goth series are pretty neat. all black finishes. the LP,SG,V and the Explorer. dunno if they added something new. ill get u a post in 5.

I actually think that the guitarist from MudVayne plays a goth LP
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-ESP-F100FM-TBK.html
ESP - but maybe find it in another color. pretty raw - Hetfield uses it in session as well.

The goth series:
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=40&CollectionID=5
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=35&CollectionID=5
http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=36&CollectionID=5

These are the epiphone models - but they should be aquirable in Gibson.
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil.
Did anyone say metal?

THE WANGACASTER!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic