Hi, I need to know if anyone does know, what 7 string pick up on the market right now will bring out the best in a 7 string tuned to F# (F# B E A D F# B) Help would be appreciated.
what the hell man. do you really need to go that low?
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
bareknuckle warpig 7 string pickups are beastly.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by ibanezkam
what the hell man. do you really need to go that low?

Why not?

It's a 7 string, there's a shitload of options.

That's a wicked tuning if you can play 'er well.
I dunno, I just feel at that point just have a band of basses. only put distortion over two of them.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
Go for bass.
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
your definatelly going to need and extended neck and thick ass strings...

I wouldn't go lower then a 27" neck if I could help it, the only seven string like that is going to be expensive. I think the guy from deftones has a signature like that with some company but they are expensive. Ibanez used to make them but they stopped so good luck finding one. Schecter makes a 26.5" one which probably is your best bet but it isn't ideal.

Also you may have to swap out the tuners, nut, and possibly bridge (most likely not the bridge if it is fixed) to get the heavy string gauge to work. That and adjust the the guitar for it too truss rod, innotation... the standard...

It might be hard but I think it is worth it... although you could just opt for an 8 string and forgo all of that work...

Good luck mate, and yes you do really need to go that low , except I would change that high F# to a G... but that is just me...
Last edited by Rebourne at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by fragydig529
Why dont you just make the tuning in Guitar pro and listen how crappy it sounds...

You tabbed an Evanescence song, you're not allowed opinions!
You're gonna need some reallly thick strings, possibly about 74-14

Agile 7 strings have a 27" scale, about $450. Just tune to G#, that is about the lowest you should go to be honest.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If your talking about 7 string guitars, I'd say EMG 707s are the best pickups for 7 strings, especially detuning.

If your talking about a 7 string bass, don't. Unless you have huge speakers in your cab, or have a very nice high end cab, the F# will sound crap no matter what pickups you have.
Quote by thedonutman
If your talking about 7 string guitars, I'd say EMG 707s are the best pickups for 7 strings, especially detuning.

If your talking about a 7 string bass, don't. Unless you have huge speakers in your cab, or have a very nice high end cab, the F# will sound crap no matter what pickups you have.

EMG's really tend to lack clarity when compared to passive pickups such as Dimarzio Dropsonics or EVOs.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio