chainsaw distortion, try getting his amp lol
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
add some bass and mids...at least that's what i do.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Mesa Cab + 5150 + EMG's i the first clip.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Alright, but look at all the videos and tell me what kind of amps and cabinets can give you that kind of sound
big muff pi?
some kinda nice distortion (if you don't want to buy a new amp)

^my best guess
Quote by swordsman14
Alright, but look at all the videos and tell me what kind of amps and cabinets can give you that kind of sound

Read my post.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
It really depends on what kind of amp you have. I've discovered that I can only get that thick "chugga-chugga" sound when I have my master volume cranked on my DSL401.
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Not just gear wise but I find you get more of a beefy PM sound when you add mids. Instead of scopping them right out try leaving some in there.

Playing wise (I didn't watch any of the videos BTW) if you're doing like open string stuff, if you take your hand off after you've muted and let it ring out it sounds a lot thicker than leaving it muted.

That's my input.
MORE VOLUME.

Seriously- more volume gives you more gain, more mids, all that good stuff.
you may or may not agree with me, but a phaser pedal set to a minimum can help add some beefyness to your tone. It did for me
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~
you may or may not agree with me, but a phaser pedal set to a minimum can help add some beefyness to your tone. It did for me

I got bored one day with my phaser settings and just turned it all to like 1, I know what youre talking about. Gives quite a boost in tone.
I find that putting a tubescreamer set to very low gain in front of an already driven amp really beefs up my sound. Killswitch Engage do it and I think you'd agree they have an awesome chunky sound.
Obviously using a good high-gain amp turned up loud with a 4x12 or two is really what you need to really get the air moving but thats not always a possibility!
Also really dig in with your right hand, use less gain that you'd think, and don't scoop out the mids.
Hey Nolly, I'm just wondering, how much gain does the Laney have? Do I need a boost for, say LoG, CoB, In Flames?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
It's a combintaion of factors. If you are always plaing drop tuned stuff, get heavy strings, definitely. Some EMGs wouldn't be a bad idea either, if you only play heavy stuff. EMGs sound okay clean, but are perfect for that style, but it's not my style. Get a Marshall 50 DFX amp, or a 2x12 Marshall 100 DFX if you have a smaller budget, those are very good amps for heavy stuff. If you have a larger budget, then get a tube driven Marshall or a Mesa. For pedals, you should preferably avoid metal pedals, as they tend to muddy up your sound, so get a amp with a good distortion channel on it (that can get pretty dirty by itself) and use an overdrive pedal like the Ibanez tubesreamer, crank the drive, and it will dirty it up real good, and add lots of sustain, and very good crunch.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
They all use EL34 preamp and 12ax7 poweramp tubes.

EMG's don't play that much of a role, he doesn't cut his mids though, he cut his treble a little. There are also several channels on those amps and allow you to go clean, or distortion channel.

Especially the mesa.
Last edited by Schecter1277 at Feb 23, 2007,
Quote by SG Man Forever
It's a combintaion of factors. If you are always plaing drop tuned stuff, get heavy strings, definitely. Some EMGs wouldn't be a bad idea either, if you only play heavy stuff. EMGs sound okay clean, but are perfect for that style, but it's not my style. Get a Marshall 50 DFX amp, or a 2x12 Marshall 100 DFX if you have a smaller budget, those are very good amps for heavy stuff. If you have a larger budget, then get a tube driven Marshall or a Mesa. For pedals, you should preferably avoid metal pedals, as they tend to muddy up your sound, so get a amp with a good distortion channel on it (that can get pretty dirty by itself) and use an overdrive pedal like the Ibanez tubesreamer, crank the drive, and it will dirty it up real good, and add lots of sustain, and very good crunch.

I disagree.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
I disagree.

+1. There are much more suitable amps for his tastes in that price range.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
I believe an ibanez tone blaster has that type of tone, I was goofing around with it in GC the other day.
The peavey windsor tube head
B-52 ST-60A 60w head
Ashdown fallen head
Epiphone Socal head

You have lots of choices.

Though a lot of it comes from the speakers as well, a heavier magnet will give you more crunch, a thinner will give you more jangle. Try a celestion G12H, they have the heaviest magnets I've seen, though if youre not on a budget get the celestion blues.
^Only the B-52 has enough gain for heavy chugga chugga, me thinks?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
^Only the B-52 has enough gain for heavy chugga chugga, me thinks?

Maybe, my palomino can get up there...
Boost your F***ing signal. Its that simple. If you already have a high gainer this will make more difference than anything else. I use a 808 spec modded Maxon OD9 with my 5150 and triple xxx through a Mesa cab. It gives you that oomph that multi tracked recordings have.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
I'm also desperately trying to beef/thicken up my sound. Right now, I'm using a Marshall JCM800 100watt split channel with reverb. I think the model number is 2210. My guitars are Jackson and Charvel, both with Seymour Duncan JB humbuckers. Also, strings on both guitars are 10 gauge. I also use a Metal Zone 2 pedal for my distortion. I also have an EQ that I just recently started using again. I really wish during my years of playing that I had learned a little more about how to shape my sound. I'm at a loss right now as to how I can beef/thicken up my sound. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
bass up to 10
middle down to 1
treble up to 10.

viola.
"Pictures in a box at home
Yellowing and green with mold
So I can barely see your face
Wonder how that color taste"
I'm also desperately trying to beef/thicken up my sound. Right now, I'm using a Marshall JCM800 100watt split channel with reverb. I think the model number is 2210. My guitars are Jackson and Charvel, both with Seymour Duncan JB humbuckers. Also, strings on both guitars are 10 gauge. I also use a Metal Zone 2 pedal for my distortion. I also have an EQ that I just recently started using again. I really wish during my years of playing that I had learned a little more about how to shape my sound. I'm at a loss right now as to how I can beef/thicken up my sound. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

JB - notoriously schizophrenic pickup, but tends towards thin and trebily
Boss Metal Zone - midrange eating, tone sucking fizzy box of shite.

Throw away the Metal Zone and use an overdrive to boost the amp and give you a more muscular sound, don't skimp on the mids but you may want to use the EQ to tame a couple of frequencies and tighten things up a little. Swap the JB's for something with more body, if you really want to beef up what I'm guessing are floating trem-equipped guitars with alder or basswood bodies then stick a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge instead.

Strictly speaking I made these clips for the amp, but the guitar is Breed-equipped, admittedly it's mahogany and fixed bridge, but you'll get some idea.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

bass up to 10
middle down to 1
treble up to 10.

viola.

*sigh*

and it's voila...a viola is musical instrument, I'd have thought a Canadian could write in French
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 27, 2007,
^+1
also, if you get a chance try one in a shop, check out a sonic maximizer too. I've found it can add some beef and thicken up just about anything. Try one first though, it's kind of a love hate thing with the sonic max.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by the_idiot
bass up to 10
middle down to 1
treble up to 10.

viola.

haha thats pretty much the opposite of the sound hes looking for
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
I definitely thought it would be best to start at the guitar and amp and work from there. I had been thinking about replacing the pickups in my guitars anyway. I've just got to figure out the right combination on my head. The band I'm in plays metal. Here's a link to here what we sound like: www.myspace.com/curseofthefallen I don't think you'll get a good idea of my sound since we have 2 guitarists though. Like I indicated in my previous post, I'm not very knowledgeable on how to shape my tone. I've been playing for about 20 years now. Seems like I would know better... lol. I'm almost to the point of being desperate in order to get a thicker tone, but being on a budget doesn't help.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Hey Nolly, I'm just wondering, how much gain does the Laney have? Do I need a boost for, say LoG, CoB, In Flames?

Soz dude, didn't see that! It has a LOT of gain. Should easily do what you're looking for. At low volumes the amp's own distortion sounds a bit thin, so I use the tubescreamer in front of it to fatten it up. As soon as you crank it the driven sound is just awesome! Very very recommended!

Feel free to PM if you want to ask me anything about it.
Last edited by Nolly at Feb 27, 2007,
Quote by ~Andrea-Angel~

^ this works well!.. listen to the start of 'Bored' by Deftones.. A slight phase is used and it makes the sound really nice and chunky and cool sounding.
Hey I said that the DFX was good for heavy stuff. I personally don't like it. The contour knob really annoys me, but when I plug itno it at the store, I can get a similar tone to the first video no problem.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!