Alright heres the deal. Ive been stockpiling my paychecks and finally have enough for a high quality tube amp(about $1600). Ive got a few that i like, but im having trouble making a desision, so heres the criteria... One: I will be using it for mainly modern music with my band, but i want a reasonable vintage tone Two: The cleans must be better than my VoxAD30VT, or just in general good. Three: Somewhat portable (at least a little) And Four: Reasonable attainable bedroom volumes but giggable for shure.

So heres what im looking at:

RECT-O-Verb Combo: Relatively cheap, and i really dug the single, but i didnt get to mess with the clean channel enough to find an even remotely usable clean.

Stilletto Ace: Godly clean channel. Good Distortion that would probably work well for the punk/alt derived stuff i play in my band. Versatile as balls.

F-50: Never played one, heard good things.

Orange Rocker30: The 50 is a god, so this thing must be pretty good.

I play an Epi Les Paul with a JB and 59 and like to mess around alot with everything but play in an alt/punk/poppunk/emo whatever band. Dont flame. Id like to spend about 1500, and id really like the trusty UG advice.
ashdown fallen angel amp --- 800 something then with the left over cash buy better guitar
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
I have heard really good things about the versitility of the Carvin V3. 1000 bucks
My Gear:
Shecter C-1+
Hohener Acoustic
Sound Gear sg305dx Bass
Homemade 2x12 Cabinet loaded with Eminence
Texas Heat Speakers
Epi Valve Junior Head
and as soon as it ships
from Musiciansfriend a EH Metal Muff
Get the orange, alot of current bands and indie bands are starting to use em'....and just look at my whole profile. ORANGE FTW!

Btw, I played the f-30, was not impressed at all. Bad cleans, weird distortion, meh.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Yeah, im kinda looking at the orange and the stilletto as the winners, but im still not sure. And Epy, thats a terrible idea, Amp>Guitar anyday, and i just spent 200 getting my guitar all seymoured, and ashdowns suck, im looking for a pro quality amp that i can use for years. So what are the big tonal differences/pros and cons tothe orange over the ace, and how close to a recto can they get? Becaue in all honesty, modern tone can be measured in comparison to a recto most of the time.
^Smart man .

I don't know much about mesa boogies...especially aces, but I hear they're VERY good, very veratile also!

I say try em' out for yourself, both great great great amps!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
$200 more will put you in the Boogie Mark IV area, which fits the versatility bill better than anything you've listed.
Hi, I'm Peter
^+1.

But I find the Mark IV sort of a turn off considering IT TAKES SO LONG TO GET A GOOD TONE....A huge amount of buttons and knobs ftw! Seriously though, the Mark IV is really versatile...played with one on at a friend's house.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
If you're looking at Mesa, you should check out their new Express series amps. I saw the 5:50 the other day, and was shocked at how small the thing is. It's a two channel amp, and each channel has two settings as well. It's designed to get from very clean to high gain.

From the website: "Say you’re a traditionalist: Select Clean and Blues for your two footswitchable sounds. Or, if you’re addicted to Gain, choose Crunch and Burn. Then stand back as the well-mannered soul of Dr. Jeckyll morphs into the maniacal Mr. Hyde, hardcore beast. Most important is the classic authenticity of all these iconic tones. No matter what your stylistic destination, the Express will take you there… Fast."

Plus, it's switchable from 50 to 5 watts, for great tones at bedroom levels.

This line replaces the F-series, BTW.

Here's a link, if you're interested: Mesa Express
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by shrtyska9
I have heard really good things about the versitility of the Carvin V3. 1000 bucks

It's cold and harsh. Try the Carvin MTS.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
How much does the Stiletto Ace cost? I'm actually interested in that amp.

Add a Bassman on to that list, too (vintage one is preferred).

Rocker 30s are nice as hell, only thing bad about them is that they have no EQ at for the clean channel. An EQ pedal would fix that.
Sent from my iPad.
If you like to mess around with a lot of setting I would kinda avoid mesa. At least the recto's. I wouldnt know about any of other mesa amps. They can be hard to get a good tone out of and I have never been impressed with the cleans on them. Infact I was disappointed. I mean AMAZING tones are in there....just it takes a lot of tweaking around and experimenting to get it. Give the Stiletto's and the Mark IV a try....I've never played either.
^^HAHA amazing, i actually adore bassmans with all my heart, But im not sure if it could get modern enough for me. (BTW any clean comparable to the bassman would be ideal)New the Aces are 1500/1600/1700 for the head/1x12/2x12 respectively, but ive seen them used for 1000 for the head and 1200 for a combo. (All to Paint it Black)

And to everyone else, i dunno about the mark, it just intimidates me, and im not too sure i dig the tight ENGL/MARKIV thing. Although the mark 2 is a beautiful clean amp.

Edit: And the Express 5:50 is definitly in the runnings, but ive heard it kinda lacks in the higher gain department.
Last edited by thegeoff at Feb 24, 2007,
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ I really have no idea what you're talking about...

*shrugs*

From my experiences...I didn't get too much time to play with it though.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Dirk Gently
$200 more will put you in the Boogie Mark IV area, which fits the versatility bill better than anything you've listed.

+1. Thanks to boogie boards im got meself oen for 1100 bucks plus shipping

right now on ebay theres 2 or 3 combos on sale and one head.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^z0mg, dealz.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
^yea. Right now i have 1100 left for a cab and other crap. im thinking getting a jcm 900 form gc for 500. might be good bargain
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^Well, you're defintaley on a real deal roll right now...

Dang, nice set up.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
slatsmania, those amps look amazing, thanks for the link, might consider one myself.
TS, Id go stilletto I gotta say, great amps. Alot of the bands in your genre play Orange now though, trying them both would be the best way me thinks.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
How versatile are the orange rocker30s compared to the stilletto, and how is the clean with no EQ?
^Orange forum. Go go go!

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Try a Rivera Clubster, Pubster, or Fandango. They are sooooo versitile and they are pretty cheap compared to the Mesas at least. But the Rivera tone is amazing.

I am saving up for a Rivera Knuckle Head Tre. LINK!
http://www.rivera.com/ktre.php
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Check out a Madison Divinity. It is supposed to be an extremely versatile amp.

From www.madisonamps.com

"DIVINITY
100 watt all tube 2/3 channel amplifier with spring reverb, tube boost, effects loop, crystal clear clean channel and extremely meaty gain channel. The attack and smoothness in over all tone is simply unmatched.

The Divinity utilizes four Electro Harmonics EL34 power tubes, two 12AT7 and two 12AX7 pre amp tubes. It’s a high gain amp with the ability to range in distortion from all out death metal to over driven blues. It has twin gain channels. Edge 1 is designed more for rhythm for that defined and harmonic attack. Edge 2 is dipped slightly in the mid and high end EQ range giving it sort of a neck pickup tone where solos are smooth and notes blend together better.

The clean channel is a sparkling feature, it stays perfectly clean even at extremely loud volumes and with any pickup choice you have in mind. The tube boost is used in the clean channel mode, it simply ads a little dirt to the sound, sort of a naturally over driven tube tone (great for blues).

The EQ section for both clean and distortion channels are set with perfection in mind. The lows are deep and smooth without being to punchy so they are clean lows. The mids have the ability to sound squished or run up to very defined sounding without being “boxy” sounding. The highs are designed to do as they should and attain great harmonics without being overly bright.

Over all the EQ is designed to adjust to any tone you desire without having to have shapes, contours, presence controls or a bunch of little frequency switches to confuse you. The sound of the amp would best be described as thick, defined, extremely versatile and full of precise attack."
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Peavey JSX.

Extremely versatile, in my opinion.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Save up a little more and get the Mesa Road King 4 Channels El34 and 6l6s..
The stilletos are 2 channel I think that 3rd or 4th channel would come in handy.
By the way JIN are those Orange amps 2 or 3 channel They seem to be popping up everywhere.
My Gear
Fender Strat ('97American Lonestar HSS)
Ibanez RGTHRG1
B-52 AT100
Marshall1960A Cab
Marshall 1960B Cab