I'm thinking about installing my new pickups by myself but I have no experience with wiring or eletrical stuff. And I was wonder if I let Guitar Center do it how much would it cost? But I think I messed up because I cut the wires instead of unsoldering them off because I'm retarded but if I do let Guitar Center install them with they fix it for me and what not?
:
If you let guitar center do it for you I'm sure they will remove the left over wires. Yes you were supposed to desolder the wires but it doesn't mean you still can't do it yourself. Do you have a soldering iron of your own or one you can borrow?

If so you should probably practice [your soldering technique] on other stuff like some random wire and a pcb board or something along those lines. Practice until you get good.

If you need the guitar working immediately though I'm betting GC would be the best way(I have no clue what they charge so maybe someone else knows). Otherwise I would take it as a learning experience and fix it yourself. That way you know how to do it later on.
I do have a soldering iron and I am decent but I am hurry.

I have a quick question, on my friends guitar he just put the clear coat on and he needs to know how long it takes before he can put the pickups and stuff on.
:
Quote by forsaknazrael
Desoldering braid can remove the old solder for you.
As for installing pickups, it's pretty easy. There's diagrams all over the internet, and we can pretty much walk you through it if you're that unsure of yourself.

yea pretty much.
but guitar center or getting ur friends to do it for u might work.
i wire everything my friend gets for himself because he gives me car rides to guitar center. that pays for all. =]
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ok, but I cut the wires is there any specific wires I need. And he used a paint with a nitro base but it takes three weeks to cure does that mean that he has to wait three weeks before he can put the pickups on?
I installed my new pickups, some problems arose so my guitar isnt back in one piece yet and I did it on Sunday. The screws that attach the pickups to the scracth plate didnt fit my vintage Gibson pickups so I have to get smaller ones, no biggy really. But its really easy, and it takes a few minutes, nothing more.

Put the iron against the solder around the wire you want to remove, pull it out, wire your pickup into the guitar, heat up the solder and put the wire do it again for the other one and voila.
uh... somehwere like radioshack?
or maybe just rip some off ur radio controlled car or sumtin...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I cut them about 3 inches for the pickup selector and the volume/tone knobs and I messed up didn't I
:
There is one wire on each pickup and I really can't try to see if it reaches beacause I just finished the clear coat I need it to cure.
:
just go to radioshack and get a longass wire...
dont cut'em just use'em all.
it wouldn't be too short lol
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
22 guage multi-strand copper wire. Get some appropioately sized heat-shrink tubing, as well. Just ask the dudes who work there for it. Solder it onto the leads of your pickup, put the heat shrink tubing on the wire, and use a lighter to shrink it, this way the leads won't make a short circuit with any other wire. Then you'll have lengthened your pickups's wires
So you cut the old pickups out, but cut the wire on the new pickups??? I don't understand. Or you're putting the old pickups that you cut out into a different guitar?
I cut the wires from my pickup selector, volume/tone knobs, and the old pickups and I was wondering if I could take it to GC and they would make everything right again without me getting mad. Then I was wondering what wires I need to replace for my pickup selector, volume/tone knobs.
:
Last edited by OutlawMusician at Feb 28, 2007,