Just wondering what everyone thought of the 1968 Fender Bassman. What could I do to give it a bit more headroom (Groove Tubes 6L6's and Marshall Preamp tubes)?Anyone know if it is 4 or 8 ohms?

Anything else to keep in mind about it?

Thanks a lot.
Are you sure you need more headroom?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Yeah, my standard gig volume (around 6) breaks up a little too much for my taste, for my clean sound anyway. The thing is, when I want clean, I want clean even at high volumes. Maybe I shouldn't have bought a tube amp, but it was only 300 USD for the head and the cab and I couldn't pass it up.
Use 12AT7s instead of 12AX7s in the preamp. The bassman I think is either 2 (weird, I know) or 4 ohms.
I actually read that thread last night lol. It's one reason I wrote that. My sound's just not clean enough, you know. Although it IS an old amp. OLLLDDD.
-------------
Fender Jaguar Special HH
Galveston Hollow Body Arch Top Electric Guitar
Delta Nashville TN LP Copy
Dean Acoustic
1969 Fender Bassman Amp
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EH Small Stone Phaser
Well, I'd rather get an earlier model (Before 1965) mainly because the quality of the amp was much better. If you get a Pre-CBS one, you'd have one amazing amp.
Sent from my iPad.
turn down ur volume a bit..or use single coils..lower bass sum..or just get a roland jazz chorus amp..
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
or if your made of cash get a hiwatt custom 100 they have headroom like nothing else
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I have a '69 Super Bassman (the 100 watt one) and I LOVE the overdriven sound. Only problem is the volume that you have to crank it to for overdrive makes my ears want to kick me in the nuts for hurting them.

Maybe we could trade? haha.

EDIT: If you're looking for information about the amp...
http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/bassman_sf.html
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
^ haha yea. I wish I was made of cash, then I'd get an Orange and use the amps together with an ABY box. I'd LOVE to have an old Blackface Fender amp, too.
-------------
Fender Jaguar Special HH
Dean Acoustic
1969 Fender Bassman Amp
EH Small Stone Phaser
I have a '68.
If you're got any questions hit me up with what you got and I'll try to answer best I can.
In general the later the Bassman the more headroom it as. Unfortunately the negative feedback loop that creates the higher headroom also robs warmth from the sound so they sound more and more sterile and plain. I dunno what kind of sound you're after, but yeah. The early Bassmans were great for guitar and kinda crap for bass. Over time they got progressively better for bass, but worse for guitar. The early Silverfaces are somewhere in between.

The dirt on my '68 starts to hit you at around 4-5 on the volume knob.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465860
Some info in there.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
The biggest thing you could do for more clean headroom are more efficient, better sounding speakers.

You'd have to double the power to get a 3dB improvement, but a 6dB difference in speakers is easy to come by.

The output is 4 Ohms on those.

Nice is to rewire a Marshall 4x12 for 4 Ohms. A local R&B guy I did work for used that combination and sounded huge.
Thanks guys.
-------------
Fender Jaguar Special HH
Dean Acoustic
1969 Fender Bassman Amp
EH Small Stone Phaser