I need a new bass but i don't no what type to get. I have about £300 to spend. I need a bass which is good for playing metal and rock.
A Fender J-Bass will suit almost all styles of music but the P-Bass is the dominate one in metal.
Perhaps you can look at the Ibanez SRX series or can give Yamaha basses a shot.
if you got nothing good to say say nothing at all.
get an active 5 string J-Bass fender. best bass ever, sooo versatile, i dont knwo how much 300 pounds are in australian dollars, but you might need to saveup a bit more.

but definatly that 5 stringer, suits any style with soo mush versatility, cos its active it will probs out perform even p basses in punk and metal if tahst what your into
me you

if you notice any spelling mistakes, or grammar stuff, its cos i have tourettes syndrome and i cbf correcting it, cos that involves reading it over. so get the F*** over it.
Yammies are bloody good

ditto Ibanez

Fenders are overrated

And look at some Corts
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
Save up another £80ish and get a Cort C4. Soapbars = great for metal
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by slash6464
get an active 5 string J-Bass fender. best bass ever, sooo versatile, i dont knwo how much 300 pounds are in australian dollars, but you might need to saveup a bit more.

but definatly that 5 stringer, suits any style with soo mush versatility, cos its active it will probs out perform even p basses in punk and metal if tahst what your into

/exalted

oh the many things you can do with a Fender MIA J-bass....plus with the Deluxe editions out now, you can get actives (not my thing) for those more "hardcore" musical tastes.
I think a standard p-bass would be good and it's just slightly more than your budget so save a little longer. I'm sure fett13 will have something to say about a schecter though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
^ah, you know me so well.

The Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 appears to fall quite nicely into your price range (according to the currency conversions I found, may be slightly off of course). It's the middle run of the Stilettos, not the beginner Deluxe, but not the (pricey) beauty that is the Elite.

Its got EMG-HZ (passive soapbar) pickups with an active 2-band EQ to give you that extra edge. The S-tek bridge is extremely sturdy. It has individual sections for each string, so whenyou change the tuning on one string, it has little or no effect on the others like you see on the standard single piece bridges most basses have. On top of all that, it has what is quite possibly the single thinnest neck you can find. I have yet to find a bass with a thinner neck than a Stiletto. All in all, a great bass, especially for the price.

Musician's Friend Link
Schecter Website Link

And apologiez for the crappy typing job, its cold in the computer room and my wrists are acting up again.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.