Hey everyone!

Latly I don't really know what to listen to anymore. Over the years my taste in music has changed a lot, but right now there's barely anything left that really makes me go 'wow, this is what music was meant to be' and loads of things I liked/could stand listening to are boring now.

Because I love everything about guitars, especially virtuoses I figured I could ask for some recommended listenings here.

I've heard quite some Vai songs and while I liked most of them, there were some I just didn't enjoy. For the love of god for one, it's a great song, but I don't like it.

I love Paul Gilbert and his playing, I can't get enough of scarified. I've heard some of his racer x songs with a singer, I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't amazing either. I'll listen to them again though, lots of stuff has to grow on you.

My favourite bands at the moment would be The Fall of Troy, Refused, Poison the Well, old Rage Against the Machine.

I enjoy old Metallica, Megadeth, Mastodon, Thrice too. As well as some things like Tool, Muse, Placebo and Fugazi. And there's random songs from different genres I really like as well, I'm a passenger by Iggy Pop.

I used to like most things on the rock radio, but really, now it's just plain boring (Franz Ferdinand, Kaiser Chiefs). The only band in that genre I still really love is Blink 182, which was the first band I discovered and bought their album.

I've been browsing pandora.com and some nice stuff have popped up, but I figured I should ask all you shred-fans too!

So, what would you recommend me?

EDIT: How did I overlook the 'Must have' thread?! I'll be checking out the albums in it too! Sorry
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Last edited by Kailoq at Feb 23, 2007,
^+ 1!!! Malmsteen all the way..... Get "rising force" "odessey" "Marching out" and "Alchemy". They are some of his best albums....

Buckethead and Paul gilbert are also definatly worth a listen.....
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Paul Gilbert - Get Out Of My Yard, King Of Clubs
Racer X - Superheroes
Steve Vai - Fire Garden
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Maybe some fusion...

MVP - Truth In Shredding
MVP - Centrifugal Funk
Greg Howe - Introspection, Extraction
Vital Information - Show 'Em Where You Live
Scott Henderson - Tore Down House, Live!
Quote by Stratwizard
Paul Gilbert - Get Out Of My Yard, King Of Clubs
Racer X - Superheroes
Steve Vai - Fire Garden
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes

Maybe some fusion...

MVP - Truth In Shredding
MVP - Centrifugal Funk
Greg Howe - Introspection, Extraction
Vital Information - Show 'Em Where You Live
Scott Henderson - Tore Down House, Live!

I'd scratch Superheroes, Fire Garden, Truth In Shredding and everything but Tokyo Blue off of Centrifugal Funk off of there if it were a must have list. (Just informing threadstarter)

Anyway, just typed out a list of must-have albums... But I lost them in an IE crash... I'm on FF now

Here goes a shortened version:

Béfla Fleck & The Flecktones - Left Of Cool
Bill Evans - But Beautiful
Biréli Lagrène & Sylvain Luc - Duet
Blackmore's Night - Ghost Of A Rose
Brett Garsed - Big Sky
Carlo Nardozza Quintet - Making Choices
Carl Verheyen - Garage Sale
Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Crystal Silence
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
Emily Remler - East To Wes
Esbjörn Svensson Trio - Viaticum (!)
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Joe Sample - Old Places Old Faces
Joel Hoekstra - The Moon Is Falling
Joel Hoekstra - Undefined
Joey Calderazzo - Joey Calderazzo
Kansas - Leftoverture
Karizma - Cuba
Marillion - Fugazi
Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Mark Knopfler - Sailing To Philadelphia
Mccoy Tyner Trio & Michael Brecker - Infinity
Michel Petrucciani - Power Of Three
Michel Petrucciani & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Concerts Inédits
Mike Stern - These Times
Mike Stern - Upside downside
Mike Stern - Voices
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - The Eternal Traveler
Paul Gilbert - Hendrix Tribute
Philip Catherine & Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen - Spanish Nights
Screaming Headless Torsos - Live
Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola & Jean Luc Ponty - The Rite Of Strings
The Yellowjackets - Club Nocturne
The Yellowjackets - Peace Round
Tribal Tech - Reality Check

At first sight, skipping the ones already named before me.

You could also try having a look at my Last.fm page to see what I've been and am enjoying - though the stats are not always accurate, I have been prone to letting a track cycle by accident *cough* grey piano's flying *cough*
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
My favourite albums at the minute are

Paul Gilbert- Get out of my yard- some excellent riffage
Steve Vai- Passion and Warfare- Probably my favourite shred album ever
Joe Satriani- Surfing with the alien- Well, it's surfing with the alien, how could I not like it?
John Petrucci- Suspended animation- Some really nice melodies on this
Steve Vai- Alien Love Secrets

I should get some more, but I have a tendancy to "over listen" to shred albums.
John Petrucci and don't forgot to mention Dream Theater and Liquid Tension Experiment (esspecially the song Acid Rain)

Buckethead... eehm... Nottingham Lace, Welcom to bucketland... etc.
Quote by Resiliance
I'd scratch Superheroes, Fire Garden, Truth In Shredding and everything but Tokyo Blue off of Centrifugal Funk off of there if it were a must have list. (Just informing threadstarter)

Fire Garden IS a must-have, and Tokyo Blue is probably one of the worst tracks on Centrifugal Funk.

Quote by Resiliance

*cough* grey piano's flying *cough*

Don't be ashamed about it. Everyone has their guilty pleasures. Some people are just a bit smarter and turn the scrobbling off.
Quote by Stratwizard
Fire Garden IS a must-have, and Tokyo Blue is probably one of the worst tracks on Centrifugal Funk.

Die, you Shrapnel production loving tasteless n00b.

Quote by Stratwizard
Don't be ashamed about it. Everyone has their guilty pleasures. Some people are just a bit smarter and turn the scrobbling off.

Yeah right, nice try.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
I kinda went through that faze too... perhaps I'm still on it. I've been listening to a lot of Kamelot (I really like this band, especially the Black Halo CD) and Nightwish. Power metal, w00t!

Anyways, what exactly does last fm do? Just track which songs you've listened to? So if I listened to a song on itunes it would show up on there?
I have nothing to put in here.
Quote by Righteous
*blach, blah, blah*and Nightwish. Power metal, w00t!

Nightwish is pretty fantabulous.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Quote by Righteous
I kinda went through that faze too... perhaps I'm still on it. I've been listening to a lot of Kamelot (I really like this band, especially the Black Halo CD) and Nightwish. Power metal, w00t!

Anyways, what exactly does last fm do? Just track which songs you've listened to? So if I listened to a song on itunes it would show up on there?

Yeah, although I'm not sure there's a plugin for iTunes... Should be, as there's one for most other programs.

Click.
umm, in the last couple of weeks ive been listening to nickelback. you can also try listening to demons and wizards, some of there songs sound pretty cool
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
Quote by Resiliance
Yeah, although I'm not sure there's a plugin for iTunes... Should be, as there's one for most other programs.

Yeah, I looked into it more and figured it out. http://www.last.fm/user/Olyperson/
It works for iTunes too. And check out my hawt pic, oh yeah. Sex in a frame.
Thanks everyone, I'll be checking out those albums!

Oh, and I can't stand Nightwish and other bands like this..I guess I just don't like power-metal (dragonforce..*shudders*)
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
My favorite albums at the moment are:
Jonas Hellborg - Personae
Al Di Meola, Paco De Lucia, John McLaughlin - Friday Night in San Francisco
Mattias IA Eklundh - Freak Guitar: The Road Less Traveled
Primus - Sailing The Seas of Cheese
Steve Vai - Flex-able
Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
Paul Gilbert - Get Out of My Yard
Joe Satriani - Surfing With the Alien
go buy megadeth's Rust In Peace and Coundown To Extinction if you don't already have them. Yngwie's first cd Rising Force is awesome. I like Children of Bodom, Follow The reaper and Are You Dead Yet are good (a lot of people don't like CoB much though). Rusty Cooley's debut cd Rusty Cooley Rusty Cooley is worth a listen too.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join
Resi knows nothing, listen to fallout boy, their this new band..........amazing
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Resi opted to be my buddy on lastfm, he must be turned on by my pic!

*cough*

I got a record player for my birthday yesterday and I got a lot (well a lot for one time...) of records, and Rory Galligher (sp?) is pretty sweet. My dad had Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells record, sweetness! Also got stuff like Renaissance, Supertramp, the Eagles, Dire Straits (best classic rock band in my oppinion) and a bunch of classical and opera music too. So I have 20 records about, w00t!

Edit:
*waits to get a response from resi agreeing with what I said ^^ so it can be sigged*
*come on resi, you know you wanna*
Last edited by Righteous at Feb 24, 2007,
Yngwie Malmsteen's Instrumental Best album
Alive in An Ultra World by Steve Vai
No Boundaries by Michael Angelo Batio
Eric Johnson's Venus Isle
Strange Beautiful Music- Joe Satriani
Sing- Neil Zaza
Last edited by Amart at Feb 24, 2007,
listen to the songs "you kids" and "curse of the castle dragon"
awsome paul gilbert shred thats exciting and doesnt get boring
fall of troy is an awsome band!
listen to some older alexisonfire
not shred or virtiosos but songs like "poloroids of polar bears" and "44. caliber love letter" have some pretty awsome guitar work in them
if u like fall of troy theres a good chance u'l like those songs
If it hasnt been said already I would recommend John 5, he is an amazing player who I deffinitely think more people should check out.

Resedit: stop teh ads.