hey guys, do u reckon Stevie Ray Vaughan would be faster if he used his pinky in the pentatonic instead of his ring finger eg: 4 frets away from where your index finger is
I'm confused. Speed doesn't mean skill. He played his style, and it was and is amazing, thats all you need to know.
he probably would. but he wouldnt have sounded like him.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Uh-oh. People might mistake you for a homosexual if you buy a purple pedal.

Quote by Shredlet
You own an Rg2570E and you live in Australia I to you sir!
mmm, cause im trying to change my technique a bit so i can speed it up because sometimes it is more of a stretch using my ring finger and isn't as slinky
Slinky?

No idea what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, using all the fingers is generally a good habit to get into, but Stevie Ray was good enough without it. Does it matter if he could have been faster? Hendrix could have had better tone, but people still love him...
Quote by Danno13
Slinky?

No idea what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, using all the fingers is generally a good habit to get into, but Stevie Ray was good enough without it. Does it matter if he could have been faster? Hendrix could have had better tone, but people still love him...

nonono, what i meant was that could i be faster if i used my pinky, i was using SRV as an example. Stevie Ray Vaughan is my most favorite guitarist in history so im not trying to knock him back
He probably didn't use his pinky much because it can never get strong enough.
Quote by striker327
nonono, what i meant was that could i be faster if i used my pinky, i was using SRV as an example. Stevie Ray Vaughan is my most favorite guitarist in history so im not trying to knock him back

If by 'faster' you mean 'as fast as SRV', then the pinky shouldn't be all that necessary.
He used awfully heavy strings so it would of been extra hard for him to incorporate the pinky with keeping his tone. If you can use your pinky, i would advise that yu do, as it not only helps speed but puts less stress on your hand.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
Quote by santhony1987
He used awfully heavy strings so it would of been extra hard for him to incorporate the pinky with keeping his tone. If you can use your pinky, i would advise that yu do, as it not only helps speed but puts less stress on your hand.

YES, thats what i meen folks. Is it recommended up past the octave
Quote by striker327
YES, thats what i meen folks. Is it recommended up past the octave

well.... i do.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
Quote by santhony1987

VERY heavy strings, he grimaces everytime he makes a bend
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
i am able use both... over the year i have been playing ive developed a stretch...it comes over time

i can reach a little over six frets below the twelth fret....and above i have a ten fret reach ...its pretty cool now that i think about it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
If Stevie wanted to play faster, he'd of used 9 gauge rather than 13 gauge strings.

However, he's a bluesman, it ain't about speed but rather, feel.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I still get amazed listening to Django Reinhardt, when you realize he only used his middle and index finger for soloing.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Siciliano
I don't think he would be faster because he's DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was uncalled for!
Quote by Erock503
I still get amazed listening to Django Reinhardt, when you realize he only used his middle and index finger for soloing.

That would make for very ackward looking sweep picking
And yet he can play arps on an acoustic far faster than you and likely your heroes too.

Django > God > god ....
Quote by Nick_
And yet he can play arps on an acoustic far faster than you and likely your heroes too.

Django > God > god ....

Never said he was slow, I said it would look funny. Hey lets make blind attacks on peoples level of speed yay!