Would a 30watt 2x12 valve amp be loud enough to outsound a 100watt solid state Fender 212R? i need to know because im probably going to buy a 30 watt combo and it needs to be loud enough to compete with the other guitarist in my band
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
maybe id say probably louder valve or tube amps are about four times louder than ss so 30x4 yes its louder may i ask what amp it is?
30W valve = 75W SS, so if the other guitarist isn't turned up full (and you are), you could overpower him
Quote by mrperson
maybe id say probably louder valve or tube amps are about four times louder than ss so 30x4 yes its louder may i ask what amp it is?

It's an AC-30CC2
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Does the other guitarist always crank his amp all the way?

He shouldn't be (SS clipping: damn), so don't worry.
I dont think the other guitarist will crank his amp all the way would he?

100 watts is still reasonably loud (even for a SS) and could probably go fine with a drummer too.
Quote by Hakanku
I dont think the other guitarist will crank his amp all the way would he?

100 watts is still reasonably loud (even for a SS) and could probably go fine with a drummer too.

No he never cranks it so I should be ok i guess....does cranking a tube amp make the tubes die faster.....and how often should tubes actually be changed...(sorry for all the questions but i've never had a tube amp before)
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Not sure I understand. Are you having decible competitions on stage or what? Whoever has the louder amp will have to turn it down. A 30W valve amp is pretty damn loud when turned all the way up. Should be plenty unless you're playing in an auditorium or outside.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Quote by Guitartist
Not sure I understand. Are you having decible competitions on stage or what? Whoever has the louder amp will have to turn it down. A 30W valve amp is pretty damn loud when turned all the way up. Should be plenty unless you're playing in an auditorium or outside.

Wel the problem is that he is a complete asshole when it comes to turning his amp down.......still though im guessing 30 watts should be enough
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by Bossman123
No he never cranks it so I should be ok i guess....does cranking a tube amp make the tubes die faster.....and how often should tubes actually be changed...(sorry for all the questions but i've never had a tube amp before)

Yes - the louder you play, the shorter your tubes' lifespan will be. On average, for someone who plays regularly at a reasonable volume, you should change tubes about every two years. There's actually a sticky thread in the Gear forum that explains all about valve amps.

HERE
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ
Last edited by Guitartist at Feb 23, 2007,
the edge played a 30watt vox in huge stadiums just run it miked up and through a P.A. for more noise
Quote by Bossman123
Wel the problem is that he is a complete asshole when it comes to turning his amp down.......still though im guessing 30 watts should be enough

Whoop his ass; if you're having a constant volume competition your hearing won't be happy in the long run.

Give him a smack, it's a band, not a pissing contest. Both guitars should be just loud enough to be heard over the drums, that's all. I've gigged with a 60 watt tube amp at half volume and it was plenty loud enough - neither of you should have to run your amps flat out. If he wont turn down jib him off for being a dick.

Also bear in mind that his sound will go to crap as he gets nearer the upper volume threshold, yours will just get better.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Bossman123
It's an AC-30CC2

If he has any self respect, he won't try to get louder than you. His tone is going to suck in comparison to yours. Especially if he tries to push his amp beyond 3/4 volume.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^^what they said also,

he cranks = shite
you crank = The shit
Cranking any kind of amp will kill it faster. Speakers get pounded when you turn it up all the way, especially if you dont pay much attention to your EQ.
SS amps usually stop with the perceived volume from about 3/4(and that's being generous) the way up. A bit after half volume it really will stop getting louder, no matter how much he raises the volume knob. So your amp should do just fine with his.