At this years Wimbledon tennis tournament women will be receiving the same prize money as the men as they have felt hard done by over the years and think it'd be fair if they did get the same prize. However, they do not play the best of five sets the men do (they play best of 3), and often the matches only last for an hour and just two sets (see Williams vs. Sharapova - Australian Open final - 6-1 6-2). Is it really fair?
Should women be getting paid the same amount?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
A lot of the female tennis players want to play the same length games as the men though - I think they should trial having longer womens matches at some tournaments before making any judgement there.
They want to be paid the same as someone they're doing a 3rd less work than? That's not fair.

Until they up the amount of sets that women play, they shouldn't be earning as much.
As much as I'm all for fairness in prize money, the women don't play as much. The men have to play a damn sight more sets than the women throughout the tournament, and I think the pay-out reflects that.
^ That's a good point, it's 5 sets throughout the whole tournament that the men are playing. If you've got 7 matches (don't honestly know how many they do play), that's 14 extra sets...

Quote by smb
A lot of the female tennis players want to play the same length games as the men though - I think they should trial having longer womens matches at some tournaments before making any judgement there.

They'd just end up complaining, or the matches would be crap for the last couple of sets. But at least if they did 5 sets it'd allow for a comeback from the other player.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I think the real question is why are they out of the kitchen?

Seriously though, I think playing longer = more money. Maybe their should be an opportunity for the women to play longer for more cash, but not be compulsory? That doesn't seem to work though.
Quote by Skwisgaar Skwigelf
Fish don't gots no good metal to listens to.
Quote by andrewbiles
They'd just end up complaining, or the matches would be crap for the last couple of sets.

So you've done this research? Or are you being just as judgemental of women as the All-England Lawn Tennis Association have historically been?
No professional sports-person should be getting paid as much as they do, its obscene. But no i don't think so (not sexist), using the examples of the thread starter, why get paid more, for less? in a normal workplace even pay should be a given of course, but in a sports-persons world, you only get paid on how well you do something, and how long you can do it for. (team sports for example, all go for quite sometime) but it just comes down to greed and ego in the end, thats all it is, as i say, they are getting paid far too much as it is.

(not a tennis fan)

Themitch
Quote by smb
So you've done this research? Or are you being just as judgemental of women as the All-England Lawn Tennis Association have historically been?

Of course I haven't done the research, but if you've been doing 17 years of fitness to be able to play three sets at full strength and ability, adding an extra two is bound to tire the body and mind and the skill involved in the extra two sets will diminish.

I also don't see why they should be demanding winning more when in 2002 the prize money for womens tennis at Wimbledon was £486,000! I don't know what it's up to at the moment, but according to this (below) chart I found on the BBC's website, it seems to be going up by about 2% a year...

Way too much money is given to sports people.

RateYourMusic
Nah I don't think they should be getting paid same as men when they're doing less work, that's just unfair.

Quote by andrewbiles
Way too much money is given to sports people.

+1
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by andrewbiles
Of course I haven't done the research, but if you've been doing 17 years of fitness to be able to play three sets at full strength and ability, adding an extra two is bound to tire the body and mind and the skill involved in the extra two sets will diminish.

Your argument doesn't explain why you think the situation is different for women. The same argument could be applied to the mens game but I don't think anyone is arguing for the men to play fewer sets.
The women in tennis are actually turning into men. Look at Muresmo (sp) who won it last year. Don't even get me started on the Williams sisters. They could do 5 set games. But until they do why should they be paid the same?
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by smb
Your argument doesn't explain why you think the situation is different for women. The same argument could be applied to the mens game but I don't think anyone is arguing for the men to play fewer sets.

You've lost me...
When you're used to playing at your best for three sets, you're conditioned for that. If you suddenly have to play five sets against the worlds best then you're going to struggle to keep up the same high standard. Men have known for years that when they enter a major competition that they're going to have to play for five sets and have known that since they first started playing tennis. If women suddenly have to start playing five sets every round in a tournament then they're going to struggle. Can you not see that?
I'd love to see women playing five sets and getting paid the same amount at the end of it, but I reckon if you gave them a tournament to try this then the audiences wouldn't enjoy it for the whole five sets as it wouldn't be full on the whole time and the idea of five sets for women would be scrapped.

RateYourMusic
I suppose so, but I think keeping it this way just because its historically been this way and no-one could cope with change is futile. Maybe experts would recommend moving to four sets and seeing if that was succesful first, I don't know. From what I've seen of the top players discussing this topic the usual outcome of this argument is the female player saying they'd happily play the extra sets if that was required to earn equal money.
I was quite pleased that women were being paid as much as men originally, but when it emerged they only play 3 sets instead of 5, that grated a bit. They're not disabled or anything.
Quote by smb
Maybe experts would recommend moving to four sets and seeing if that was succesful first, I don't know. From what I've seen of the top players discussing this topic the usual outcome of this argument is the female player saying they'd happily play the extra sets if that was required to earn equal money.

You couldn't have best of four though, might end up 2-2 and then you'd have to go to the 5th anyway.
It'd probably advantage the top players as they'd be able to afford the extra practice staff and costs to get them up to the standard needed, but it could create a bigger divide between the best and the worst.

Worth a shot though as a test run. I think the whole political correctness of G.B. (and the west) has become disgusting as of late though. It's not going to be long until we're all going to be suing everyone over here like they do in the US.

RateYourMusic
If they want the same pay then they should do the same amount of work. If they won't play til three then they should only get 2/3 of the men's prize money. Fucking hypocritical feminists.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

If you pay women the same amount, wouldnt that make them equal to men? We all know thats an outdated idea some "liberals" came up with. The answer is obvious, if anything make the womens prize less.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!