I can never get this right. What is the proper right hand position?
I always rest my thumb on the edge off the neck so my arm looks like I'm shredding a little.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
There is no "right" position, whatever feels the best for you. Whoever tells you your hand position is wrong is ****ing idiot.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
i usually stick my thumb on the pickups and play arounds there, but if you go on the neck and kinda play the strings against the neck, you can get some crazy geezer tones. it all depends on the sound you're after though. like, if you play closer to the bridge, you get more atack etc.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I really like the sound between the two pickups so I try to rest my thumb on the P pickup and play there, but my arm would be resting on the bass body so I kinda 'floats' above the pickup.

I have been told not lift up my arm so my whole arm weight is shifted onto the pickup, but that makes my arm hurt and it's also cutting a whole in my thumb.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Here's a really good article from warwickbass.com

http://www.warwickbass.com/basssurvival101/lesson_9fingers.htm

I myself used to have very much a fixed anchor position on the pickup. Nowadays I'm experimenting more with a movable anchor position, and even restinf my thumb on the top of the neck for a more deeper, fuller tone when I'm playing walking basslines.

It is all preference. There are no right or wrongs.
As has been said, it's what's most comfortable for you. I personally play with my thumb on the pickup closest to the neck, though sometimes I'll experiment with my thumb on the E string, etc. If you start to experience pain however, or find it difficult to reach the lower strings, try changing about.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
There is really no right way, only variations. Personally, I either use the thumb rest (epi) or rest my thumb on the pickup or E or A string. It all depends on your personal right hand style of playing and the type of tone you want from your bass.
As long as it is comfortable for you and won't cause any damage to you, there is no wrong position. I rest my thumb on the pickup to play the E then rest it on the E to play A and so on which is comfortable to me.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
I find it most comfortable to let my thumb rest on the neck pickup (on a Jazz bass). As I have pretty long fingers, I can easily reach the g-string by just stretching my finger down.
Make cupcakes, not war

Member #27 of the Electroharmonix users guild
It depends what I'm playing, but generally on the E string between the two pick-ups, but if it's a walking piece I put my thumb on the neck, and generally for solos I have my right hand near to the bridge for a more trebly sound to cut through.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I play like a guitar nothing special i just leave my thumb straight so i can slap slap slap some bits
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
I anchor my thumb on the pickup nearer to the fretboard. When i'm moving string i move my thumb up so it rests on the string above. For example playing A i rest my thumb on the E string. I have heard that resting your thumb on the pickup is the normal right hand position but there are always variations so don't worry.

Play with whats comfortable
signature
Quote by Stop Messin'
There is no "right" position, whatever feels the best for you. Whoever tells you your hand position is wrong is ****ing idiot.

++

Varies from person to person.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
one of my friends drilled a 1" hole where his thumb ususally stays. its kinda weird, but it works.
GEAR
Guitar
Ibanez RG42DX
Peavey Valveking100
Avatar 4x12 cabinet w/ Celestion Vintage 30's
Line 6 Spider 3
DOD Flanger
Ernie Ball Strings
Bass
Dean Edge 4
Peavey TNT 135
GHS Strings
So, if I want to rest my thumb on the P pickup, do I let my arm rest on the edge of the bass, or do I lift it up?
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
I normally rest my arm on the edge. I don't know whether its a bad habit or not but it's comfier. I just feel that i can't play well or confortably with my arm holding itself up and not resting against the side of the bass.
signature
I have my thumb anchored to whatever pickup i play above. Then you get a good loud crisp sound from all of the strings.
Quote by andyd93
You sir, are correct.
Quote by shotbythepope
So, if I want to rest my thumb on the P pickup, do I let my arm rest on the edge of the bass, or do I lift it up?

Rest your arm against the part of the body that curves up near the back not the part where it curves down in the middle. This will serve to give you less of a wrist curve and less danger to your wrist.
i play like indie-bassist, and it works really well
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50