Hi guys,

I'll be grabbing a new guitar fairly soon, and ultimately tossing up between a Mexican Fender Strat or an Ibanez SZ520. The place where I'll be getting it from can reduce the SZ520 to around the same price as the Strat.

I was wondering whether any of you guys had any opinion as to what amp I should get with the guitar. I'll primarily be playing in my room so won't need anything loud, hence the 15w amps.

I'll be playing mainly lighter rock, blues, and older stuff like Hendrix and Clapton, but wanted an amp that had a bit of versatility in what it could output (hence why I'm also looking at the Ibanez - for future versatility). I was even looking at the Micro Cube for its various modes, but then it only has 1 channel.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Well, I'm basically getting it as a package that no one can seem to beat. The store can do me the SZ520 and the Peavey Rage for Aus$1000. The best that other places can do is around $1200. Since the Rage158 and Cube 15 are about the same price, he should be able to swap them, but Aus$1000 is pretty much the max I'd want to pay.
You mention the cube only has 1 channel, but i don't think the rage or the cube 15 are footswitchable so i personally don't think it makes much difference. I don't know what rage that is, but i had a rage 158 as my first amp, and thought it was ok, but not great. I'd take a cube over the rage, as the cube has a larger variety of sounds.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Sorry, typo in the title, it's the Rage 158 as I mentioned in that previous post, not 152. I don't think there's any such thing as a 152.

But yeah, that's the sort of info I was looking for. I was leaning towards the Cube because it appears to have the same features as the 158, but with the addition of the digital effects which would be a nice little bonus.

I think I must have misunderstood the point of having 2 channels on the amp. I thought it was so you could have different levels of say, Clean and Lead channels to provide you with a greater variety of sounds. Or is it only one at a time, if so, then what is the point of having 2 channels on that amp?

I don't think either support pedals, so the MicroCube would be a plus in the greater number of effects, however it doesn't appear to have the Equalizer on it.
Last edited by Milest0ne at Feb 23, 2007,
Yes, with a two channel amp each channel should have it's own volume control, so you could set them to different volumes, but you're still going to have to change channel with you're hand. I can't comment on the cube 15 or microcube because i've never played either, but i was quite impressed with the cube 30 and 60 models. Also the microcube doesn't have an eq, so your kinda stuck with the sound of each sound it produces.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

I bought a Microcube and arrive yesterday, and is a great amp for practice. For the clean stuff, is not very loud but is only good for practice. Although there's no EQ on the Microcube, maybe you can buy a cheap EQ pedal (Danelectro Fish & Chips). About the effects, i use my digitech bad monkey as a boost and worked very well except for the R-fier model.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Do yourself a favor and buy the Cube.
I have the Peavey Rage and it sucks.
Sent from my iPad.
Wow, this forum moves fast.

Thanks very much for the replies. The 15w Cube was lacking quite a few digital effects compared to the MicroCube and the 30w version for some reason which was the primary reason I was hesitating to grab it over the MicroCube, but from the sounds of it, is quite a step up from the Peavey Rage. I might grab see if I can grab the Microcube to start off with, and when I get better grab a Cube30 or the equivalent at that time.

I realised that the fact is, I won't be able to play loud at all in my room (since it's pretty right smack in the middle of the house), so I'll primarily be playing through a very low volume or through headphones. Then when I move out, or don't feel so embarrassed by my lack of guitar skills, upgrade :p