ive had a squier strat for a few months now and feel like im limited to the things i can do on it. Just wondering if there is a huge difference between the squier and the real deal that is fender and if its worth getting myself one?
thx
yes it is worth getting yourself one.
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
Chances are, the Squier doesn't limit anything but feel and tone. If you can't play it on the Squier, the real Fender won't magically make you play better. That being said, the real Fender will have much, much better tone and it should feel better as it is crafted better (ideally). Now, if you are talking about certain harmonics, then yes, the Squier is probably limiting you, otherwise, the Fender has no magic, it's just a more playable, better sounding guitar. If you plan on continuing to play, then go ahead and lay down the money for the Fender.
Actually, I once played a Dime-o-flame and my fingers magically became slower.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by The Naffin
If you can't play it on the Squier, the real Fender won't magically make you play better.

Listen to this guy. If you can't do it, you still won't be able to do it.
what amp are u using?

bacause the right amp, and a lower action guitar, (something with a more stable bridge) can help u pull off more techniques.
but u get the most noticable tone improvement wt a new amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^She's right. If you're just using the Squire starter amp, you could probably use a better one.

I'd take your Squire into a guitar shop, but not guitar center , for a setup. Tell the guys you'd like the action lowered, the intonation check, pickup heights adjusted for even output levels - the whole shebang.
a squire is an inferior instrument.....cheap wiring harness, inferior wood, usually a bad fret dressing.....so, an upgrade would greatly improove your tone.......BUT, YOU COULDN'T GIVE ME A NEW FENDER, quality is for shite,exept custom shop, (who has $$$$)...i suggest you look at G&L....(what Fenders should be), american stuff is around $900-$1500, but the tribute stuff is realy cool $450-$600...MAKE SURE YOU GET TRANSPARENT FINISH THOUGH.......as bodies are ash, opague are basswood....they play and sound really good.
Quote by noah drew
a squire is an inferior instrument.....cheap wiring harness, inferior wood, usually a bad fret dressing.....so, an upgrade would greatly improove your tone.......BUT, YOU COULDN'T GIVE ME A NEW FENDER, quality is for shite,exept custom shop, (who has $$$$)...i suggest you look at G&L....(what Fenders should be), american stuff is around $900-$1500, but the tribute stuff is realy cool $450-$600...MAKE SURE YOU GET TRANSPARENT FINISH THOUGH.......as bodies are ash, opague are basswood....they play and sound really good.
You're a fool.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Haha I was more referring to his Fender slagging, but I agree with your Squier evaluation. My squier's actually pretty damn nice! It sounds and plays better than about 1/4 of Mexi Std. Fenders i've tried (like 4 out of 17 or something) but pretty much all other Fenders pwn it :P
Well my experience (with bass though) is that i really started playing better when I upgraded from Squier to fender. At a certain moment, I just felt that the Squier was holding me back. When I bought my MIJ Jazz bass, I just started playing better, and my tone did more right to what I played, so basically really helped me
Make cupcakes, not war

Member #27 of the Electroharmonix users guild
Quote by MrCarrot
Haha I was more referring to his Fender slagging, but I agree with your Squier evaluation. My squier's actually pretty damn nice! It sounds and plays better than about 1/4 of Mexi Std. Fenders i've tried (like 4 out of 17 or something) but pretty much all other Fenders pwn it :P

I figured you were referring to that, but I thought a little more elaboration on Squires wouldn't hurt. I used to have one, it played great. with a pickup change, and a nice amp, it would've sounded great. Too bad the girl I stole it from took it back....Oh well. Gave me an excuse to get an SG!
Quote by Random_Bassist
Well my experience (with bass though) is that i really started playing better when I upgraded from Squier to fender. At a certain moment, I just felt that the Squier was holding me back. When I bought my MIJ Jazz bass, I just started playing better, and my tone did more right to what I played, so basically really helped me
Hehe yeah, it's things like this that really show you it's a mistake to get a next guitar too soon. When I got my Les Paul I could only just play barre chords, and now i'm more experienced, the Les Paul plays amazingly for the price (the guy in the shop said it was better than some Gibson customs he'd had in the past ) but it really doesn't suit me with the drowningly low tone and fat neck (remember all these are opinions).

I haven't played the Les Paul in about a month, since restringing it basically, been playing my Squier, and now I regret having gotten the LP when I really couldn't tell the difference between that and the Squier. I have to sell it now, raise money for a Fender Strat, Lite Ash is what I've gt my eyes on
Quote by MrCarrot
Hehe yeah, it's things like this that really show you it's a mistake to get a next guitar too soon. When I got my Les Paul I could only just play barre chords, and now i'm more experienced, the Les Paul plays amazingly for the price (the guy in the shop said it was better than some Gibson customs he'd had in the past ) but it really doesn't suit me with the drowningly low tone and fat neck (remember all these are opinions).

I haven't played the Les Paul in about a month, since restringing it basically, been playing my Squier, and now I regret having gotten the LP when I really couldn't tell the difference between that and the Squier. I have to sell it now, raise money for a Fender Strat, Lite Ash is what I've gt my eyes on

Ash is the secks.

I like the fat necks on LPs and such - but that's because I have huge gorilla hands. I can still hook my thumb around and form a barre chords with mine.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ash is the secks.

I like the fat necks on LPs and such - but that's because I have huge gorilla hands.
Yeah, I have tiny hands without much strength. My limit on a Fender scale length guitar is pretty much 10's, I strung my LP with 11's once and the tone was sweet but it was just finger-shreddingly painful.
Yeah, sounds a bit, 'ooh-err' to me

Are wound Gs harder to bend? I heard they offer enhanced tuning stability and I bend the G a lot, wondered if it'd help at all...
I don't think so. People say that, but it's just the same as going up a guage.
Problem with wound G's is that most companies don't offer them in lower guages. You usually have to buy a 54-11 set at least, I see most companies putting Wound G's in 56-12 kinda sets.
Snake Oil Brand was happy to provide me with a wound G in my set, at a reasonable price. And at .018, so my guage stayed the same. Thinnest wound G i've found.

Also, 'ooh-er'? Wassat mean?
D'addario do a wound G 10-46 set, the G is .018 instead of .017 so shouldn't be muchos difference. I'll get the wound G set instead of 10's next time then.

ooh-er is sort of like an old-fashioned way of saying "crikey" or "oh dear" or "i'm slightly worried"
yeah, a squier is what it is, a starter gear, but it does the job an axe is supposed to do, the only thing you'll really notice is more the tone and comfort the fender offers. A guitar can't really limit yourself in what it is. As far as I know, Armstrong, from Green Day (which I hate, but anyway...) played for years on a cheap strat copy.

And a nice 1500 bucks fender will not prevent sh*t fingerplay.
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
Quote by DayD
yeah, a squier is what it is, a starter gear, but it does the job an axe is supposed to do, the only thing you'll really notice is more the tone and comfort the fender offers. A guitar can't really limit yourself in what it is. As far as I know, Armstrong, from Green Day (which I hate, but anyway...) played for years on a cheap strat copy.

And a nice 1500 bucks fender will not prevent sh*t fingerplay.
Yeah, I wouldn't say a cheap guitar inhibits you, just makes it a bit harder to play as long as the action, frets and intonation are okay.

What should be said is not that a Squier will inhibit you, but more that a Fender makes it easier to play slightly better, with better tone and comfort. It won't magically make you a better player.
Quote by MrCarrot
D'addario do a wound G 10-46 set, the G is .018 instead of .017 so shouldn't be muchos difference. I'll get the wound G set instead of 10's next time then.

ooh-er is sort of like an old-fashioned way of saying "crikey" or "oh dear" or "i'm slightly worried"

Really? I'll have to grab a pack, next time I'm at the shop. Oh wait. Nickel plated steel, Right? Won't do at all...
Quote by forsaknazrael
Really? I'll have to grab a pack, next time I'm at the shop. Oh wait. Nickel plated steel, Right? Won't do at all...
Haha, I used to use Nickel, and when I changed to D'addario NP I was all "These are painfully bright." Strangely enough, now i've realised it's perfect for my styles, it's more easily available, and to me it just plays better.
True
ZZZOMG!!!
FUZION

Quote by jimmy, the one
I haven't played anything except Master of puppets by Metallica
They're death metal arent they?

{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-
O RLY?
When I first started playing several years ago I upgraded too soon.
I had no business with an expensive guitar with only one year of experience. The guitar did not match my skillset at the time.
I had a Squier and really wanted an American Standard Strat. So I bought a new $600 American Strat which was alot of money at the time. Although, I loved it, I wasn't making any more progress than with the Squier. Besides, if you're toting around an expensive guitar it is assumed you know how to play it very well or else you'll look like an idiot.
I was lucky that the music store bought it back and I went back to my Squier. I bought a MIM Strat a year later. I had that MIM for about six years until I bought my first American Standard Strat. If you feel you need a better guitar to help you play better- go for it. Good Luck!