Page 1 of 3
Ok, I can already tell that this is going to attract allsorts from the main page, and completely confused people just browsing when they find out it's a band thread and not something that should be in the pit.

Anyway, Lifter Puller (the thread title from 'Lake street is for lovers') and The Hold Steady. Let's get some convo going on about them.

The Hold Steady have finally hit it (reasonably) big with the indie media and typically not their best album, and being a long time fan I can see that they could be one of the bands that actually lasts, but can anyone else see this?

Also, Lifter Puller, Craig's previous band, similar in style, anyone else a fan?

http://www.theholdsteady.com/
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
I do enjoy The Hold Steady, still only have Separation Sunday, though. I'll probably pick up the new one at some point. Lifter Puller I haven't listened to much at all, though. The stuff I have heard from them hasn't really caught the ear, but I could be entirely wrong about them.
I hate to say it but I just got into the Hold Steady because of all the fuss surrounding the latest album which is actually one of my favorites right now.

What's Separation Sunday like?
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
nice tittle loololololo0lo0lo0l.

I merely heard of them aswell.
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
I like the only song I heard by The Hold Steady, despite the name having been "on radar" for a while I've never really looked into em much :/
Your Little Hoodrat Friend and Charlemagne in Sweatpants are both awseome songs. Their singer makes me laugh.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Their singer is in****ingcredible

I really dig Stuck Between Stations as far as songs go.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Forgot about this thread...

Glad to see that the fanbase on here has increase from a couple of years ago.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Hopefully gonna see them live in Lancaster end of Marchish. Off the new record I love Southtown Girls and Chips Ahoy.
I got Boys and Girls in America yesterday and after one listen I will say that it is pretty good, hopefully I will get to check them out at Bonnaroo...
I heard your 'little hoodrat friend' on tony hawk 8 and was blown away.
Does anyone else hear a slight resemblence to counting crows in their singing?
Sort of.... ^
Quote by ParticleManTMBG

Does anyone else hear a slight resemblence to counting crows in their singing?

I can see where you're coming from, but it sounds more like Springsteen to me.
Everytime I listen to them they grow on me and I have been listening to them a lot lately
figured it would be ok to double post in this one being that it has been over 5 months between posts

so, i picked up the live at fingerprints acoustic disc and it is great
you should all look into buying that one

other than that i have nothing new to bring up
A friend of mine sent me "Chips Ahoy!" and i pretty much fell in love with that song. i got Boys and Girls in America and it's a really good album. The Hold Steady rocks.
i like this band a lot.

barring 1 or 2 songs, boys in girls in america is perfect
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join

last.fm
Quote by Fugazirancid
i like this band a lot.

barring 1 or 2 songs, boys in girls in america is perfect

which ones? the only song i think is significantly weaker is same kooks, but it isn't a bad song by any standards
Quote by uhh_me?
which ones? the only song i think is significantly weaker is same kooks, but it isn't a bad song by any standards

yeah, that's the one i was thinking

and i'm not the biggest fan of "massive nights" but it's also not a bad song

last.fm
well, i used to not like it as much, but i hadn't listened to the band in a while. for some reason i remembered that song as being much lamer than it actually is :x

last.fm
^i freaking love that song. the whole album's pretty solid and same with almost killed me. i've gotta hear separation sunday i think. i like this band, they're good ol' rock music.
almost killed me is great
the entire album is so unproduced, it is wonderfull
Bit of a bump, but I saw them last night and they were great. It seemed like the whole of the crowd knew every word, and you can literally not take your eyes of Craig Finn. Good setlist too; I don't know how standard their sets are but this had a nice sprinkling of songs from each album (including a brilliant vocals/piano only version of "Certain Songs").
the shows seem like they all have a similar setlist, but they really do get a good spattering of songs from each album.

should i look into lifter puller? is it much different from the hold steady?
Seperation Sunday is much better than BAGIA imo.
Quote by PinkIsCool
Yes, but it's a FACT that most metal artists have more musicainship and technical skill than pretty much all rappers.
big bump because the new Hold Steady album is streaming on their myspace.
How much does the new record sound like Tim-era Replacements?
Answer: a lot.

Not that that's a bad thing. Yet to decide how much I like it but at least a couple of great songs.
Quote by Bmm386
I could never quite get into them for some reason.

Craig's voice, perhaps? let it grow on you.
I listened to the new album and I like it a lot.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I'm waiting for it to come out, can't do any harm. You know what to expect with these guys and you know that if you like one album you won't hate the others.

RateYourMusic
The Hold Steady needs a new singer. The riffs are fantastic. But the way he talks/sings or w/e he does is quite annoying.
I got some good guitars, yo.
Quote by Leat
The Hold Steady needs a new singer. The riffs are fantastic. But the way he talks/sings or w/e he does is quite annoying.

The Hold Steady wouldn't be anything like they are without Craig. I can imagine he writes a number of the riffs as well, less so than Tad though.
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
Dude, its all about Craig. He's the boss with the sauce, the dude with the 'tude, the man with the plan, et al.

The Hold Steady rock massive cajones. I saw them last February in Minneapolis. Great show! And I got the tickets for free.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Leat

I know a few people who felt this way, wanting a more "traditional" delivery of the vocals. However once you've had a chance to see the emotion pour out of Craig at a live show you'll wonder how you ever survived before seeing them live.

Oh yeah, I love The Hold Steady.
Page 1 of 3