Hi there, my setup is:

Fender Highway 1 strat (old one)
roland bluescube 30 watts (is a solid-state, but gives me amazing sounds, so no 'get a new amp' answers please, this one just delivers)
and......... a cable :P

So, I am really into RHCP right now, and blues-rock (ala clapton and hendrix).

My questions is, what would be the best choice for a first pedal. I was thinking a wah might be good, but on the other hand the distortion on my amp is a little sub par (i can get nice overdriven sounds though), so maybe a big muff or a DS-1?

Any suggestions, I am really lost here....
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
If your into Hendrix... Jim Dunlop Cry Baby will make you very happy (it's a wha, in case you don't know).
Jackson WRXT + EMG 81/85
Les Paul
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 30X
Dunlop Cry-baby
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Roland EXR-5
stay away from the the ds-1.

my suggestions, either get a elctroharmonix big muff, a tubescreamer, or a line 6 doctor distorto.
^^ or the vox wah - the v847 - it sounds nicer straight out the box than the original crybaby.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

Isn't the tubescreamer going to sound like shit on my solid state amp?

I think I will either go with a wah pedal or a big muff.
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
The tubescreamer will sound like a tube amp, as that is what it is for. It is an overdrive pedal, one that is meant to make it sound overdriven, not to drive tube amps (although it is good for that, too)

a wah, Distortion, Compressor, Flanger, Phaser, Delay, Chorus, Reverb, Pitch Shifter are all good to have, in that order ( well, maybe chorus and reverb higher on the list, depending.)

I'd go wah or distortion, but not the DS-1. Consider the OS-2, Big Muff, any Fulltone or the MXR distortions.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
no dude, that's what it's for. You get a sweet tube sound with some gain that sounds great out of a solid state. the wah would be great too. Go to the guitar store and check these out they're all good suggestions.peace
Pick and choose your pedals wisely. Look into some serious pedals like from Analog Man or Robert Keeley. Most pedals out of the box need help. The idea in the end would be pedals that will enhance your normal tone/style..... not change it. Too many "cheap" pedals....you'll end up with cheap sound. A modified TS-808 or TS-9 is a great OD choice. I use the 808 myself.... lots of tone/sound controls...... you can dial in something really hot or something nice and mellow.
96 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
95 Strat w/ Lindy Fralins
Ibanez JS1000
Orange AD30HTC
Vox AC30
Blue Alnico Cab
Budda Wah
Barber Tone Press
Keeley NOVA Wah
Pederson Strobo
Keeley TS-808
HBE Chorus
T-Rex Delay
Red Witch Moon Phase
Big Muff (John Frusciante uses one, Hendrix would've used one) or a Vox V847 (Hendrix used one). Stay away from the Original Crybaby and DS-1. Both sound super sterile and trebley.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Yeah I agree with getting a Big Muff...

frusciante uses it, and it'll be great for giving you hendrix and clapton tones.
If you're pretty happy with the OD on your amp, go with the wah. You'll have a ton of fun with it, and that's what it's all about, right? The Vox is an excellent choice.

If your OD isn't really doing it for you, both the Big Muff and Tubescreamer (808 or 9) are fine choices. The TS will sound great with your amp, and better when you decide to get a better one. You'll be glad you have a couple quality pedals already on hand when you make that move.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I'm going to be the first to say, but IMO buy a Proco Solo/Rat/Rat 2. Awesome pedals, quite dear, but worth it. Or a Little bIg muff. Slightly smaller. I have a fetish for a "bigsmall" word like little big. Anyways.

Wah, For sure.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.