Now in alot of metal songs, you will see alot of consecutive notes being played while palm muted. A good example of what I mean by this is the intro of Motorbreath by Metallica. Now I'm a newbie and I know how to palmute but listening to this track, it sounds so clean and efficient. I can't do that on my guitar now I can only think of two things as a cause of this.

The way I palm mute: Which is just yeah leaving my palm on the part of the bridge where it should be although I read on another site that doing so is bad but only if you're playing live at a gig or something where sweat can drop into the bridge from the hand and cause problems.

If it's not the way I palm mute, I assume it's the way I pick? Can anyone tell me their experiences with getting used to this or learning how to pick cleanly while palm muting because when I do palm mute picking does get awkward and I don't know how to palmmute a chord. So any advice please?
I think that its just a lack of experience, you'll get it eventually. Keep in mind that the guitar players in Metallica know what they are doing and have been doing it for a long time. Palm muting really isn't a tough technique to get a hold of but you may just be having a little trouble picking with your hand down on the strings instead of freely moving around. I think you'll get pretty soon if you keep playin.
Quote by glowskulls
dunno.

do you know how to bridgepick?

and how much pressure do you palm mute with?

Well I guess that's what I'm asking how to do, and yeah I'm not doing it so hard where im stopping the strings from vibrating completely either.

As for Checco, I don't know I guess you may be right it's just that in the example I gave, it's a very simple pattern to do but sounds incorrect when I do it. As in, there's a specific pattern they do and I try to mimic it but when I try to, it's not fluid at all. Nothings fluid unless I'm just hitting the string constantly where then, it still sounds..well weird.
You've gotta slide your palm back towards the bridge, and its just a matter of how hard u mute and how far from the bridge you are
its sounds like you just need practice remember james hetfeild and kirk hammet are legends and ur a noob you will get it right eventually
[rip to our fallen heros
"dimbag"darrel abott
cliff burton
randy roads

Originaly posted bydirtydeeds468
Yeah, usually I wouldn't care about stuff like this, but that whole TV station makes me want to drown bags of kittens.
Ok I just listened to the song and I think I know why you're having a hard time. They are alternate picking and the riff involves what I call "triplets" which are just there palm-mutes really fast, but they string them together and mix in some single palm mutes to give the riff a certain feel. I don't know how long you have been playing but I know it took me a while before I could do that consistently, and I'm still not great at it. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself for not being able to do that just yet. Unless you think that you should be able to play it, I guess I don't know because I've never seen you play or anything.
yeah that's what I meant! If you put it in that way then, it's really just a matter of practice I assume. I haven't been playing for very long but I'm gonna keep practicing.[edit]

P.M. =======================================
E---------------------------------------------------------------
B---------------------------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------------------------------
D---------------------------------------------------------------
A--9--9----7--9--9----7--5--5----4--5--5----4--7--7----5--7--7--
E--7--7----5--7--7----5--3--3----2--3--3----2--5--5----3--5--5--
=======================

that part though, It feels very awkward playing those notes while muting.
Should I leave my palm down? Can I alternate pick that while muting? Or..something else?
Last edited by SLdK at Feb 23, 2007,
you can leave your palm down when the section of the song needs to be all muted, but when its off and on like say master of puppets you might have to bring your hand up for the short time to play the un muted note. You can alternate pick while muting, it all just takes practice and experiance to get the exact feel. Remember that where you put your hand and how hard you push changes the sound ALOT. just experiment and find where sounds bests and practice it.
Yes you can alternate pick, in regards to not being able to do it fluently, experiment with your picking hand position, for me, i put it right on the point of light palm muting, but if i roll my hand backwards even slightly the notes are clean, this allows me to palm mute quicker as well as more efficiently, because im not fighting the strings for flow.

the opening palm mute rhythm for Motorbreath is a good one to really practice because of its rhythmic patterns, its not a straight rhythm (no matter how much it sounds like it) just practice with your alternate picking whilst palm muting for a while, and maybe try some simpler palm muting songs.

Themitch
how would you palm mute more than 2 or 3 strings while alternate picking? (say all 5 or 6 strings for example) do you just stretch your fingers holding the pick up and down the strings while having the hand down on the strings at the bridge? i'm having extreme difficulty palm muting 16th notes and changing chords right after. (changing chords just needs more practice but what about the palm muting part?)
While we are on the subject I have an extremely noob question of my won, I hope you don't mind me posting in your thread Sldk. But, when you palm mute, are you supposed to actually pcik on the strings themselves? Because if so, what happens if the fret you're playing on is very close to the bridge and your fingers go past it?
Quote by bacdoliljo
how would you palm mute more than 2 or 3 strings while alternate picking? (say all 5 or 6 strings for example) do you just stretch your fingers holding the pick up and down the strings while having the hand down on the strings at the bridge? i'm having extreme difficulty palm muting 16th notes and changing chords right after. (changing chords just needs more practice but what about the palm muting part?)

Generally you dont have to palm mute the high strings, ive never had a situation where ive had to palm mute over 3 or 4 strings.
Can anyone recommend some good palm muting songs to learn for someone just learning?
©Fleabass5

FreakyStyley
seek & destroy is a good one or beginners since you will get a feel for string skipping aswell..am no expert tho but i think that one helped my playing alot when istarted out..

if your a litle better maybe try master of puppets and if your realy bad ( ;P ) try enter sandman